GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ebrima ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 03:54:44 PDT
Gambia-L:

The e-mail below came from my unimpeachable source in the Gambia.

Ebrima Ceesay

Hello Ebrima,

Ebrima, as I have always said, let us just keep the pressure, because sooner
rather than later something positive would come out of it.
Anyway, I am writing to inform you that the unbanning of former Politicians
and Political Parties such as the NCP, GPP and the PPP is scheduled for
July, next month. This information is contained in a confidential memo I
came across from.

The APRC has now concluded that the only way they can hopefully slow down
the Opposition juggernaut is to split them (the Opposition). Even the
mentally slow Yaya Jammeh has concluded that it is unrealistic to expect a
politician of Omar Jallow's (O.J's) caliber to ever join the ranks of the
APRC but a very realistic assumption that he will form his own party.

So the APRC is counting on O.J to form his own party or join ranks with
former PPP party members which will help slow down the UDP. The
challenge posed by the upcoming lifting of the ban is great given the
African experience of the opposition parties refusing to unite under one
presidential candidate.

Perhaps the Gambian opposition will draw inspiration from our
neighbour-Senegal. Thanks as ever!