GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ousman Bojang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 16:05:23 EDT
As more people testifies, it is showing that President Jammeh ordered the
shootings. Below is culled form the "government's Observer".

More Brikama-Ba Witnesses Testify

Jimbang Sawaneh, brother of Sainey Nyabally, the student killed at
Brikama-ba, Wednesday, told the commission of inquiry probing the events of
April 10 and 11 that he was told by Corporal Lamin Camara of the Gambia
National Army that they had instructions from Cherno Barra Touray, the
commissioner of Central River Division, that the president had given them
orders to shoot anybody found on the streets.

In his testimony, Mr Sawaneh said he was confronted by Detective Fakebba
Darboe and Corporal Lamin Camara of Kudang army camp when he went to see the
body of his dead brother, Sainey Nyabally, at the Brikama-ba Health Centre.

He said he had sent Sainey to buy sour milk for him but was later informed by
some children that Sainey had been gunned down.

He said when he left his house to find out, Detective Darboe asked him where
he was going. "I told him I was going to see my dead brother, Sainey
Nyabally, at the Brikama-ba Health Centre. Then Darboe told me that if I did
not go back, I would suffer the same fate as Sainey."

Sawaneh said he insisted that he must see his dead brother "even if bullets
were dropping like rain.

It was then Corporal Camara said to me that they had instructions from
Commissioner Cherno Barra Touray that the president had given them orders to
shoot down anybody found on the streets," Sawaneh claimed.

Sawaneh said he was arrested by a police officer and two soldiers on his way
from the Brikama-ba Health Centre.

He said he was beaten and sustained head injury.

He said while he was being escorted to the Brikama-ba Police Station, the
security men dipped their hands into his pocket and took his wallet
containing D300 and a driving licence.

He told the commission that he has not yet recovered his driving licence and
the D300 even though  he has lodged a complaint with the police.

He further told the commission that detective officer, Fakebba Darboe,
Inspector Madinding Fatty and Lamin Drammeh, were all carrying and firing
guns.

He said more than 250 people, including himself, were detained at the
Brikama-ba Police Station.

He added that they were ordered to remove their shirts and lie on the hot
tarmac for 40 minutes. He said the soldiers walked on them while beating
them. He said they were ordered by the soldiers to crawl on the road after
which they sustained injuries on their knees.

Sawaneh also explained to the commission how Lt Samba Baldeh, commander of
Basse army camp, pointed a gun at him and threatened to shoot him if he
failed to tell the truth to him.

"I told him if you kill me, I will join my brother," Sawaneh said.

He said they spent nine days in the Janjangbureh prisons. He said for the
first 24 hours of their detention, they were not served with food and water.
He said when Commissioner Cherno Barra Touray and ASP Adama Saine visited the
prison, "I asked Commissioner Touray whether he gave orders for the shooting,
but Commissioner Touray said he did not order anybody to shoot anyone. I also
showed him the injury I sustained."

Sawaneh identified the security man who hit him with a gun as "Gomez".

 Copyright 2000 QuantumNET