GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ceesay Soffie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 20:10:31 -0400
Hello all -

This is to introduce a  progressive political movement, Gambia Freedom
Democratic Movement.  This is a movement borne out of necessity and has been
in the works since the atrocities of the Jammeh regime began to surface.
And now, the everyday realities in the Gambia manifestly speak to the need
for such a movement.

"Gambia Freedom Democratic Movement is a nationalist political organization
determined to invent a new and subsequent generations of socially conscious
Gambians, willing to end our misfortune of rudderless leadership.  A
generation that will dare to invent a bright future Gambia, linked with our
overall regional and continental prosperity.  To invent and build this
generation, we need nationalists, Gambians who "abhor greed and detest
vanity", Gambians whose "humility is their strength and integrity their
greatness."

Therefore, we call upon all the sons and daughters of Gambia willing to take
on this challenge of necessity, to step forward and be counted in this
process of transforming our society, a society that will be a source of
strength and self-confidence."

I am encouraging all to visit the web site of this organization at
www.gfdm.org <http://www.gfdm.org> .  As with many other sites, some
sections are still under development.  Become a part of this movement to
challenge, resist, analyze, and chart ways for a proud future Gambia.  Let
us engage in the struggle to transform our society, our lives.  With these
words of Frances Beale, I call all to participate -

"Revolution entails not only the willingness to lay our lives on the firing
line... To die for the revolution is a one-shot deal; to live for the
revolution means taking on the more difficult commitment of changing our
day-to-day patterns.  This means changing the traditional routines we have
established as a result of living in a corrupted society."

The Gambian revolution is to route out these contemptible, moral degenerates
out of Gambia.   We should not tolerate another 6 years of thuggish rule,
military or otherwise.  Our culture of non-participation, submissiveness
created the conditions for the daily assaults on our democratic rights by
these thugs.  Remember, the element of fear in oppressed societies has
always been temporary.  Here is a chance to take our destiny in our own
hands.

Soffie