GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Asbjørn Nordam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 18:59:12 +0200
Friends,
returned from 12 days in Holland/Begium for European Football Championship
it is a surprise for me to see that you as gambian citizens  living abroad
has no practice/rules for exercising your right as a citizen to cast your
vote in national elections.
I don´t see any reasons you should "pay" anything for exercising that
fundamental right, as suggested by some of you. It will be costy enough if
you got to travel to the nearest gambian representative to register and
vote.

In Denmark the rules are very specific. If you are registered in Denmark,
you can from 3 weeks ahead of election-day and until few days before
election day cast your vote by "mail" to the local authorities where you are
registered. That is for local elections, parliament elections, or any
referendum. By "mail" means that you go to the local authorities,where you
are registered , you get your "voting paper", you exercises the voting and
put it in an envelope which is sealed and kept safely and will not be opened
until the elections is declared ended and all the votes are going to be
counted.
It´s important that you personally present  and identify yourself as the
voter registered.

When living or travelling abroad you can vote "by mail" at a danish
consulate or  embassy.

In november 1997 we held elections in Denmark, and I left before (more than
3 weeks) it was possible to vote by letter, and stayed in The Gambia on
election day. I registered at the local danish authority (consulate) Mr.
Peter Smith (those days in Banjul, now Serekunda) and should be given the
papers so I could vote from The Gambia. Unfortunately something went wrong,
so Peter Smith never received the documents from the nearest danish Embassy
(in Marocco) and no papers from Denmark, so even I came to his office every
third or forth day under my visit to the Gambia, I could not vote. After
returning to Denmark I delivered a formal complain to the authorities in my
home town, that I for the first time in my life could not vote. The complain
went to the interior Ministry, which is the authority for elections, but due
to the situation they asked the foreign Ministry to examine why I as a
danish citizen was denied my legal right to vote. After several months of
investigations both in The Gambia and Marocco and the ministries, I got an
official "explanation" and "excuse" from the Ministry.
All this to say that voting-rights has to be handled very very strict and
with highest priority in a democratic country.

So I hope that you will have the same right as gambian citizens no matter
where you live, travel, study to vote both for parliamentary and
presidential elections.

I see no restrictions. You are registered gambians, you call the nearest
gambian representative where you are now staying, you go and identify
yourself (as you have to do it if it was at the voting place back home)
f.in. up till 1 week before election day and vote by "letter", the votes are
returned to the Gambia and will be handled as they were delivered there.

It is very seldom but is has happened that the "mailed-votes" changed  the
situation here in Denmark. One seat moved to another person or party, and
majority changed after counting the "mailed votes".

I really do hope that most of you will be able to vote. It feels good to
exercise that right, even you sometimes think it doesn´t matter who and what
you vote for.

Just a comment from Asbjørn Nordam