GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lamin B Jammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jun 2000 21:58:20 EDT
Dear all,
   Much has been said about the unfortunate Taal saga and I think its about
time we move on to discuss better things about our country which I believe
was the sole aim of Gambia-L , especially after the 10 and 11 April events.

Personally, I believe in the face of democracy, people should be free to say
what they want to ofcourse backed/based on facts. The entire list members are
living witness to the fact that Ebriama Ceesay has been tremendous to the
list as far as Gambia and its issues are concerned. He was at the forefront
particularly, ofcourse with other concerned Gambians and well-wishers of
Gambia at the demonstration of Gambians here in the UK at the Gambian High
Commission as a result of the brutal slaying of Gambian school children.
These including his postings to the list I believe are well appreciated by
almost 3/4 of the list to say the least.

Having said that, I genuinely see nothing wrong with Mambuna Bojang pointing
out the fact that the exchange of insults via e-mail between Ceesay and the
Taal family should not be sent to the List as these are private issues that
needs to be addressed privately. The Taals did not send their mails intended
for Ebriama to the List, they were sent directly to him as a result, if there
was to be any reply to those e-mails, they should be sent to those guys and
not to the L for us to read.

We have a better cause to attend to than reading insults on the List. Our
priority now is to see that the people responsible for the shootings are
brought to justice and to save the motherland from the failing regime of Yaya
Jammeh. This is a forum where we disagree to agree and I think people should
be objective enough to accept facts and learn from past mistakes as we are
all bound to make them coz we're only human!

Criticisms should not let people betray their cause especially if those
criticisms are constructive! Personally, you do not know me Mr Ceesay
although I have attended many functions in London were you were also present.
But when I look at you, I envy you in a lot of ways in your talents as a
journalist and as a reporter.

AS a result Mr Ceesay, your absence from the list will be a great loss
however, I will be disappointed if you should leave in the circumstances you
intend to. Delisting yourself from Gambia-L because someone spoken/put across
a point is very unfortunate as a journalist.

Take a look at this for instance: If you write a story about someone for
example and made mistakes and was told-off as a result of the mistake, will
you quit writing? Or will you accept the mistake and take the facts and/or
suggestions on board, or will you quit writing? If no, then I suggest you
accept the fact that the Taal e-mail should not have been sent to Gambia-L
and learn from the mistake and continue the good work you have been doing for
your country and its citizenry. On the other hand, if you will quit writing
as a result of being told-off for the mistakes, then good luck with life
outside Gambia-L and your endeavours to attain the highest academic status
that you are aspiring for.

I hope my grammar will not be scrutinise as i am the worst writer of this
language,(English)! (laugh)

Good morning every1!

Lamin B.Jammeh.
Bedford, UK