GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 13:08:24 EST
The major problem is that decisions like these are made for political gain
and showmanship and not based on consultation with people who are
knowledgeable in the particular field to render sound advice based on proven
scientific theories in farming.
For example, the problems Malanding has pointed out, and in addition to
these, the effects of the use of large farm machinery on the soil is another.
It has long been proven that the use of these machinery will lead to soil
compaction, reduce plant  root penetration, and lead to lower yields. And
unless one has huge tracks of land for vegetable farming, I do not see the
point in using tractors.
The land used for rice farming certainly is not land that one can use a
tractor to till simply because it is very wet land.
The political card and pure propaganda cannot be used in the making of such
decisions as these. Expert knowledge through consultation with the proper
people is what is required, but the Jammeh regime continues to prove that
their ineptitude in all areas.

Jabou Joh