GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Malanding Jaiteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2007 15:26:48 -0500
The following from The Gambia Journal. I find it very sad.

Malanding

Gambia: Dr. Mbowe Guilty of Professional Irresponsibility

The Gambia Journal
<http://allafrica.com/publishers.html?passed_name=The%20Gambia%20Journal&passed_location=Banjul>
(Banjul)

EDITORIAL
January 29, 2007
Posted to the web January 29, 2007

The Gambia Secretary of State for Health, Dr. Tamsir Mbowe, has said he
could not disclose the contents of the herbal potion concocted by
President Jammeh to "cure" HIV/AIDS. In an interview with a BBC reporter
Mr. Mbowe said that all necessary information on the treatment would be
released later.

Asked where he thought President Jammeh, who has no medical background,
acquired the knowledge and skill to "treat " the frightful disease, Mr.
Mbowe said he was not quite sure but that the Gambian President's family
"had long being treating people with skeletal or muscular ailments." He
also argued that he did not think such skill or knowledge could not only
come from universities but "from the Holy Koran as well." Asked if he
could vouch that Mr. Jammeh's "treatments" worked, Mr. Mbowe said "we
have to wait for the results."

The Secretary of State who television pictures showed assisting the
mercurial Gambian leader "treating" the patients claimed that though
they are still waiting for test results, claimed that clinical
observations so far, have shown that the dozen or so patients who have
started with the "treatment" have shown "noticeable improvements." Dr.
Mbowe claimed that some of the patients have "gained up to seven
kilograms in weight since treatment started." Mr. Mbowe could however
not precisely say when the results of the laboratory tests were
expected. Mr. Mbowe, who was a medical practitioner before he became
Health Minister two years ago, denied the BBC reporter's suggestion that
he and his boss, President Jammeh, were being irresponsible in raising
an other false hope for the cure of the deadly disease.

As far as we at The Gambia Journal are concerned, Jammeh's quack-like
claims are more than irresponsible. Surveys have shown that a good
number of Gambians are yet to firmly believe in the existence of the
HIV/AIDS disease. Without this realization by Gambians efforts to spread
awareness and prevention would be hampered by formidable obstacles. The
contention that Jammeh's weird claims is bound to evoke, may embolden
disbelievers as they watch the disagreements grow within the camp of the
"believers."

We are also worried at the unrestrained broadcast by GRTS television of
the fully televised "treatment" rituals clearly disclosing the
identities of the patients, almost certainly without their prior
consent. We see this as a grave violation of the personal integrity of
the patients. Jammeh and his henchmen at the Hospital seem to be
completely mindless of the patients' rights to privacy, anonymity,
respect and dignity. On national television, the unfortunate patients
are compelled to answer to questions by President Jammeh about their
stool, boils on private parts and so on. No consideration is given to
their sense of shame. All that seem to matter for Jammeh and his men is
the pretentious show, not the concern of others.

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい