GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Jeng, Beran" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 16:28:21 -0400
CRD villagers concerned over Casamance rebel incursions
The Independent <http://www.qanet.gm/Independent/independent.html>  (Banjul)
June 23, 2000
By NB Daffeh
Banjul - The residents of Joben Saraba, Sare Butty and Amadallai village in
Lower Fulladu East, Central River Division have expressed concern over the
frequent visits of Casamance rebels to their villages, describing them as 'a
threat to our security and a restriction to our movement.'
Most of these villages share borders with Senegal.
Speaking to The Independent, Ebou Jobe, a 37-year old farmer from Joben said
since last year people living in the area frequently see rebels in their
villages. He said when they first noticed 'the abnormal visits of the rebels'
the villagers alerted police at Brikamaba station, who sent some officers to the
area to look into the situation.
Yaya Saine of Ahadulla village, just a few meters from the border with Senegal,
told The Independent that the rebels usually visit their village to search for
food and water. 'Since we are all human beings and we are civilians afraid of
armed men, we have to meet their demands,' he said. Mr. Saine further said when
they noticed the frequent presence of rebels in their village, parents warned
their children not to go out at night. Mr. Saine said at first they always
feared being victimised, but that now, 'the rebels seem not to be concerned with
Gambians. They come and fetch water from our wells and go peacefully back,' he
said.
He further narrated that when they reported the matter to the Brikama Police
Station, the villagers had a meeting with the police who warned them 'not to be
open to rebels. They even warned us not to give them food when they demanded
it,' he said.
Musa Jang Juldeh Baldeh and Sana Jeng of the same village called on the Gambia
Government to deploy security guards to the area in order to protect Gambians
and Gambian territory.
Musa Jeng explained to The Independent how their movement is restricted by the
rebel presence. He said whenever they learn of the rebels' presence they don't
visit their friends in other villages during the night. He further accused the
rebels of stealing some of their cattle and other animals. He however warned the
Gambia Government to be careful when dealing with Casamance. 'The Government
should not entertain them, they are not good at all. The Government should send
bother guards to warn rebels not to enter our country,' he said.
Mamadi Jobe, a hunter of Sare Babu, said 'when I am hunting in the bush I used
to enter Senegal's bush unknowingly; but when I meet the rebels and they know
that I'm from Gambia, they don't disturb me,' he said.
Speaking to The Independent on the issue, C.R.D commissioner Cherno Barra Touray
confirmed that the rebels enter some villages in his division. 'Whenever we
learn about it security officers are dispatched to the area, but they never
found them. These rebels do not normally stay there, they just visit the
villages when they are hungry,' he said. He further noted that it would be
difficult to establish a permanent security camp in the area.