GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Binneh Minteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 14:46:29 -0500
Credit mutuel banks have been set up in every major Senegalese town that is
near the Senegalo-Gambian border, especially those around
Farafeni,Kaur,Kuntaur,Basse.For -example,Poste Keur Ayib,Nioro Du Rip,Keur
Nderry,Vellinghara,Koungeul and so on.Those credit mutuel banks have been
set up to help petty traders and farmers within the locality,this targets
Gambian petty traders and farmers  as well.Opening a bank account is the
right of any person so one can do so in any country he or she
chooses.Senegal studies the market and creates avenues that can enhance a
good atmosphere and competetion because these are part of the  basic
principles of any free market economy.
This is a project backed by the EU and others.
Many  moo
rs 'naars' within  Gambian territory particularly those in
Farafeni have opened up bank accounts at those local Senegalese banks.Keur
Nderry,Nioro and Kaolack have already opened series of accounts for those
petty traders who are gradually planning to leave the Gambia after the heat
wave that was sent against them by Jammeh.This is a practical way of
retaliating.If people are forced to declare assets and measures are put in
place thus blocking the possibility of the free repatriation of capital
then businessmen and women have the right to relocate.Economic war fare is
one thing that Jammeh cannot handle in anyway.This war fare has been
declared by the traders that he insulted in broad day light.No wise leader
will openly send foreigners out with insults! This man's mental illness is
showing it's ugly face every minute.
The army and police were siezing people's assets and other resources after
the beginning of the madnes
s called OPERATION NO COMPROMISE.Some of those
local traders are  relocating to Senegal,G/Bissau etc
Currently the Bissau authorities are carving a better approach to maintain
a sound economic and democratic process in their country.That meeting
between them and the Senegalese authorities is taking place at Goree Island.
Senegal and Guinea Bissau are  taking the sophisticated route while our own
mad man is attacking everyone with insults and unwarranted anger.Even if
The Gambia was to roll on oil wells, madness can never help us.We must make
peace with Senegal if we want to survive and maintain a great
eonomy.Senegal even though a former colony of France,has managed to
maintain better relations with the USA and England than The Gambia an
English speaking country.This is an era of globalisation and not an era of
cold war moves.This is a modern world and it should be Governments
responsibility,for the country to meet standard
s of the global economy.
Infact we all know that the idea of LOOMOH MARKETS was introduced into The
Gambia through those border towns.The trade link and cooperation that
exists between our people should not be diminished ignorance.However,if all
those who want to do serious business with serious leaders relocate that
will isolate the Gambian economy within the sub-region which will be even
more of an economic disaster.
Does Yahya knows that Gambian tourism was affected because of his
unprecedented mad moves and rude behaviour.Does he know how those wicked
soldiers who are stationed at Check points shooting at tourists damage our
country's image outside?
We can secure our borders without terrorising visitors.
Why should soldiers even be on Kombo Coastal road calling themselves border
patrol? Border patrol on the kombo coastal? People are always going in and
out of The Gambia,visiting their relatives without being