GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 15:04:53 EDT
These are the signs of a disgraced government grappling at straws. See what
I meant when I said that this government is fond of taking indefensible
positions that even the best legal minds cannot defend; let alone the
mediocre talent at the AG chambers. When is it a legal right to have an
adjournment in the face of a motion/summons to release innocent children who
were unlawfully detained in the first place? As stated by the lawyers on the
side of the students, the judge exercised her discretion appropriately by
denying the plea of the feet-dragging AG to grant an adjournment so that
they can pack more lies in their affidavit. Look who is talking about
natural justice and the right to be heard. These people have no shame. Pity
that our children who died on April 10 and 11 will never be heard again in a
court of law. Instead of the AG bringing up such frivolous appeals, he
should ensure that the children that were massacred in broad daylight on
April 10 and 11 get justice. It is strange that the government is only
attacking the students' side while setting up silly commissions to look into
the real culprits. Commissions that cannot detain people. At the same time,
our children are being put in jeopardy. Now, if some foreign judge in The
Gambia decides to set aside Mam Yassin's decision, these children would be
at risk of going back to jail. What about people who shot down kids and the
morons who ordered the massacre? People should rise up and demand that the
AG withdraw this silly appeal and remove our children from the jeopardy it
brings. Take some free legal advise from a none lawyer. There is no legal
right to an adjournment for the purposes of filing a frivolous affidavit. At
best, you have an appeal grounded on facts. But the facts are not in your
favor either. Mam Yassin should have simply weighed the inconvenience caused
to you (AG) as a result of denying you a continuance, against the
inconvenience caused to the children as a result of languishing in jail
because of some illegal charges. As you can see, this is purely a factual
matter. What was so pressing at AG chambers to prevent you from drafting an
affidavit to oppose the application to let the children go. I submit that
you do not have facts to put in an affidavit. How can you justify holding
these children in jail for more than 72 hours without charge?