GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
abdoukarim sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 May 2005 10:15:25 -0700
Opposition leader held in Senegal

 President Abdoulaye Wade is seen as an advocate of democracy in Africa

An investigative judge in Senegal has ordered that opposition leader Abdourahim Agne remain in detention.
Mr Agne was taken into custody over the weekend for criticising the government and calling on people to protest against President Abdoulaye Wade.
Meanwhile, the director of a new film examining Mr Wade's election promises has been told not to leave the country pending investigations against him.
President Wade, an advocate of African democracy, came to power in 2000.
He was closely involved in the launch of the New Partnership for Africa's Development (Nepad), which aims to bring about economic recovery through African-led reforms and good governance.
Image tarnished
Reform Party spokesman Seydou Gueye told AFP that the charges against their leader Mr Agne were based on a speech he made, in which he said that "the country is in such a dire state politically that the people should go into the streets by the millions and demonstrate peacefully for change".

 I was asked if I was working on project likely to tarnish the image of the country's institutions

Film director Joseph Gai Ramaka

Because of a health condition, Mr Agne will be held in a special section of a hospital.
Film director Joseph Gai Ramaka meanwhile was interrogated by the criminal investigations division, a special branch of the Senegalese police in charge of state security, over a period of four days last week.
"I was asked if I was working on project likely to tarnish the image of the country's institutions. I told the officers, that my current project simply focuses on the vanity of power and more particularly, is an evaluation of the political change which occurred in this country," he told the BBC's Network Africa programme.
"After two years of work, my conclusion is that : what I have seen does not appear positive to me, but this is a simply a point of view."
According to the BBC's Tidiane Sy in Dakar, it is not the first time a movie by Mr Ramaka has caused controversy.
Karmen Gei, an erotic reworking of the opera Carmen, was censored in 2000 after members of the Mouride Muslim sect discovered that verses written by their spiritual leader were included in the movie.
Mr Ramaka was due to travel to Paris to finish editing the film, but his journey has been prevented by the order to remain in the country.

 E-mail this to a friend  Printable version

LINKS TO MORE AFRICA STORIES

SelectSomalia warlords clash in BaidoaSudan charges MSF man over reportZimbabwe set to nationalise landOpposition leader held in SenegalAnnan pledges aid for south SudanZimbabwe's demolitions condemnedEthiopian ruling bloc 'wins poll'Bulgaria leader meets HIV LibyansElephants hit hard in Ivorian warRwanda refugees face aid shortageKenyan youths take on net skillsZimbabwe police destroy shantiesSouth African newspaper is gaggedUK 'crippling Africa healthcare'African Union lifts Togo embargoDe Beers in Angolan diamond dealAnnan upset by Darfur devastationEthiopia poll reveals rural-urban divideTrying to save Zimbabwe's healersRebuilding war-ravaged CasamanceWho should keep your peace?Why I love AfricaSend us your pictures of AfricaProgrammes and schedules  [input]

SEE ALSO:
Country profile: Senegal
31 Dec 04 |  Country profiles
Senegal's Carmen controversy
10 Sep 01 |  Africa
Senegal opposition to amnesty law
11 Jan 05 |  Africa
Profile: Senegal's new president
20 Mar 00 |  Africa

RELATED BBC LINKS:
Network Africa

RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
Senegal government
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

TOP AFRICA STORIES NOW

Somalia warlords clash in Baidoa

Sudan charges MSF man over report

Zimbabwe set to nationalise land

Opposition leader held in Senegal

getRssUrlStory('/rss/newsonline_uk_edition/world/africa/rss.xml') | What is RSS?

News alerts | E-mail services | Desktop ticker |-->Mobiles/PDAs | Headlines for your site
Help | Privacy & Cookies Policy | News sources | About the BBC
Back to top ^^

News Front Page | World | UK | England | Northern Ireland | Scotland | Wales | Politics
Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health | Education
Have Your Say | Magazine | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
BBC Homepage >> | BBC Sport >> | BBC Weather >> | BBC World Service >>
Notes | Contact us | About BBC News | Profiles | History

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい