GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Abdoul Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 20:37:26 +0000
Mr. Jasseh Conteh,

Thanks for the detail explaination and elaboration.  It is indeed very
informative and adds to my frame of reference.

It is definitely a relevant issue in a field which I am deeply interested
regarding the GAMBIA.

Again, thanks for educating me.   As always, good luck to you.

BEST REGARDS,

Ablie Njie-Lekbi

Atlanta

>From: Jassey Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: The Gambian Dalasi-LEKBI
>Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 11:23:14 -0800
>
>Comrades:
>
>The functional currency is the domestic currency relative to international
>financial transactions, particularly when these goods and services are
>produced and marketed in the domestic market.  It is the hope that entities
>in the Gambia are engaged in business to sell their goods and services to
>their respecitive customers.  It also the hope that these entities
>formulate strategic costs incurred that do not exceed benefits derived from
>their money measure approaches.  These entities should record their sale
>prices denominated in the Gambian Dalasi.
>
>It is thus practical and economically sound that entities in the Gambia
>follow the realization principle of pricing their goods and services
>denominated in the Gambian Dalasi.  One patriotic duty is that it
>illustrates confidence in the Gambian Dalasi.
>
>Analyzation principle, which consists of both financial and nonfinancial
>data entails, for example, market surveys.  These surveys may affirm
>customer tastes and preferences.  If one successfully pinpoints customers
>tastes and
>preferences; direct materials or services, direct labor and
>manufacturing/service overhead allocated are valued as production costs.
>My question is, did the entities in the Gambia pay their Gambian workers in
>foreign currencies?  No!  These costs were paid in the Gambian Dalasi, even
>if raw materials were purchased internationally.  A case in point is that a
>pro forma statement is prepared by a bank prior to a purchase of foreign
>goods, and that the purchaser pays invoice prices directly to a Gambian
>bank.  It is categorically true that these entities are not directly paying
>the foreign seller.  It is also true that Gambian banks denominanate the
>Gambian Dalasi as the money measure amount owed to a foreign seller.
>
>When total manufacturing or service costs are valued, the notion is that
>the entity hopes to make a profit.  In this regard, realization principle
>takes form when a sale or purchase is made.  Realization principle is
>defined as the point of sale or purchase, from which a transaction is first
>recorded in the book of original entry called the general journal. Are
>entities in the Gambia recording their transactions in foreign currencies?
>I hope not!  If this is true, then the Dalasi will continue to devalue at a
>significant rate.
>
>Even if an entity that is located in the Gambia is a subsidiary of a parent
>headquartered in a foreign country, asset = liabilities + owners' equity
>should be measured in the Gambian Dalasi; thus affirming that at point of
>sale these transactions should be recorded at historical value.  This
>affirms the notion that assets recorded at historical
> [...]

High-speed users—be more efficient online with the new MSN Premium Internet