GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Saihou Mballow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:07:27 -0700
Hamjatta,
               [1] Youur time is valuable and your questions are important so, let me get right to the point.
A  UDP Gov't  will put a term of office of an elected president for two terms of five years.

[2] In my honest openion, gambians wanted an age limit of a president,he or she should attained the minimum age of forty years not more than seventy years therefore, a UDP Gov't will go in for that.

[3]Although the constitution included verious provisions relating to elections,the precise arrangements for the 1996-97 voting wre mostly set by a 161 page decree that the Armed Forces Provisional Ruling [AFPRC] release in April and Jammeh handpick the members of the provisional Independent Electoral Commission [PIEC] now the Independent Electoral Commission[IEC],the body entrusted with organising the elections.
UDP Gov't will give Gambians a credible Independent Electoral Commission [IEC] that will be appointed by the National Assembly and given the powers and functions conferred on it by a the constitution to:
[a] Conduction of registration of voters and the nomination and election of candidates for the offices of the president,national Assembly,District chief,Mayor or Chairman of municipal council and such other offices.
[b] the regitration and supervision of political campaign and political parties incudiding the issuing of permit to hold political rally.

[4] UDP Gov;t  will not disban the Gambia National Army because as a sovereinty we an army to protect us from external agression and to guard our waters from illegal dumping of toxic waste.I personally believed that we have some good men and women in the army when given the right positions would represent the interest the Gambian people.The army will be revamp and given a better and effective  training on both politically  and army skills.We know an Army without a political education is can easily abuse his powers.

[5]For the constitutional arrangement,expect a good one.Though,I am not a lawyer but as you know the secertary general and party leader Ousainou Darboe  is a lawyer cople with the team of  good Gambian lawyers who  have the country in heart  would deliver the good.

[6] During the first phase of the military draconian decrees were promulgaged by the military junta that arogated to itself the executive and legislative functions.The first among these decree was decree decree No.1 which suspended parts of the constitution thus effectively denying the people from participating in any form of manner they were governed.Decree No. 45 set up the national Intelligence Agency [NIA] Decree No. 11 set up the Commissions of enquiry with the undeclared objective of besically humiliating and discrediting former ppp political oppenents and bar potential candidates from contesting for political office.Today as i write,over $25 million US dollars of Gambian people money remain unaccounted for stashed away in Swiss Banks.And this is the regime that claims to have taken power to rid the country of corruption and embezzlement of public funds.I will suggest to my collegues when the UDP is democratically in power not to honour the  Kankaroo ruling and to fresh investigatigate both the Jawara regime and Jammeh moderous regime.I believed it is only a democratically elected Government under the rule of law that is dim fit to investigate the  past ativities of a  Government under military Junta.Under the atmosphere of the a military  transition Government  were people arrested ,detained at random,abused at random and released at random.
Let no one misinterpret me,i am not saying nothing went wrong during the Jawara regime but i am saying a military regime is not the competent authority to investigate them.Under a UDP Government a rule of law will exist and will side with any wrong doing.
For the remnants of the the ppp,they are in every political party today but we are not against that hence, they are Gambians and have the rights to join any political organisation. I will give you an example:Aji fatou Sallah,Fatou Jahumpha a good friend of Chilel,Hammeh Kebbeh, Alh.Bora Manjang,Sambujang Jagne, ALH.Banta Camara,Khalipha Sanno of Brufut and many more i cannot mention here who were strong members of the erstwhile ppp Government.
I will assure you  that this young party is out for Justice and Justice for the Gambian people.Whether you were  PPP,NCP o GPP you have the right to a fair trial under  the rule of law with out  fear or favour  this is my believed.
 Hamjatta,the above mentioned statements are my own believed and when UDP comes to power i will strongly stand for them.
Thanks for your questions and feel free at all  time to ask  any  question during my stay with the list.
Saihou