GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 09:42:50 -0500
Despicable. I have lost all respect I had for these people. I will give
MRDG(UK) the opportunity to respond appropriately to this gibberish before I
send my other comments. Suffice for me to say at this stage that I would
respectfully counsel the Movement to catalog all the efforts they made to
include PDOIS in this meeting. I am also offended by PDOIS characterization
of Movement members as refugees in Britain. People like Bahoum are not
refugees. What happened to words like political exiles?

This is just disgusting. PDOIS should realize that what this Movement is
trying to do is not an indictment on the Opposition on the ground, per se.
The Movement is trying to complement the efforts the genuine Opposition on
the ground is doing. PDOIS' attendance at the Briefing could have only added
to the strength of the Opposition. To argue that PDOIS' presence at the
Briefing would some way undermine the Opposition, is simply absurd.

No one is putting our entire fate in the hands of 'a British MP'. That does
not make sense. But the help that British MP can give, should not be
downplayed simply because that help alone cannot solve all our problems.
This Briefing is not the only thing the Movement is engaged in. PDOIS knows
that.

To also suggest that going to Britain somewhat undermines the British High
Commissioner in Gambia, is also illogical. As I understand it, the Deputy
High Commissioner was at the Briefing. So what is PDOIS talking about? Even
if we (in the Diaspora) want to undermine the High Commissioner, it is quite
legitimate. Under the High Commissioner's watch, Britain restored military
aid to Yaya. US State Department reports about Gambia is significantly
different from the reports that come from Britain. The High Commissioner has
something to do with that. What effective moves did PDOIS make to redress
the insensitivity of the British to the plight of Gambian children? Where
was PDOIS when top British military officials were feting the security
forces that massacred our children in broad daylight?

We, on the other hand protested to the British Foreign Office and all we got
were boiler-plate letters filled with patronizing garbage. This Briefing
became partly necessary because of the lack of positive response from the
executive branch of the British government. As patriotic Gambians that
understand the British political landscape, the Movement sought the help of
the legislative branch in order to change Britain's clearly erroneous policy
towards Gambia. What is wrong with that? Why does PDOIS have to try and
undermine these noble and legitimate efforts?

If PDOIS thinks that the work to restore democracy in The Gambia is a
'limited' affair, one wonders whether PDOIS should be taken seriously when
they say that they want to change the society. Bringing democracy to the
country is the single most important change we can bring to the country. If
we had democracy, thugs like Yaya would not be leading that country. It is
not a small and 'limited work' that should be left in the hands of 'human
rights advocacy groups'. Every well meaning Gambian should join in the fight
to restore democracy in the country.

PDOIS opened their ill-advised statement by saying that they were not clear
about the purpose of the meeting. This is absurd. If that is one of the
reasons why they did not show up, why did they not ask MRDG(UK) to clarify
the purpose of the meeting before the meeting was held? Alternatively, why
did PDOIS not just show up with their own agenda and say whatever they
wanted? For Halifa Sallah to stand up now and say that it is not worth his
while to attend the Briefing while few months ago he was willing to come to
London and debate Hamjatta Kanteh, speaks volumes of this man.

Frankly, I think the Opposition is better off without these characters. If I
were NRP and UDP, we will forget about PDOIS and do our own thing. PDOIS is
closer to APRC than NRP and UDP. As far as I am concerned, I have personally
given up on these people. They should recognize that they are certainly
doing something wrong. They have been in the Opposition since time
immemorial, and they cannot show much for it. Halifa Sallah cannot even win
Serrekunda East. There is something terribly wrong here.

To the rest of the Opposition, I say, let us move on. At this critical
juncture, we should jettison the doubters in our midst and consolidate the
people that have made up their minds about the rotten state of our country.
Some of these people are only interested in fighting old wars that do not
matter to Gambian children at this juncture.

I apologize to the Movement for preempting their official response (if any).
I was so disgusted by PDOIS' stance that I could not prevent myself from
saying what I feel. I again commend Opposition members that took part in the
Briefing. It was a noble and patriotic thing to do. Ignore the
tantrum-throwing of the APRC and their sympathizers. They are just making
fools of themselves. I think I read somewhere yesterday that Joseph Joof was
saying that participating at the Briefing tantamount to treason. What planet
is this man from? He is now equating Yaya with the whole government and the
country. Now if you challenge Yaya's human rights record, you are committing
an offense against the state. Utter rubbish.
KB