GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 10:12:31 EDT
Saul, as usual, it is almost impossible to try and add to your postings. You
echoed my feelings in most parts. Suffice for me to say though that the last
time I checked, murder (multiple murders in this case) was a more serious
offense than theft or insulting ones feelings. Here we have over 100 of our
children murdered, tortured, raped, jailed in broad daylight and parliament
makes it priority investigating a scandal. We have political leaders
ambushed, jailed and their freedom threatened, and what does parliament make
its priority? Whether Yaya stole money from government coffers? God help us.
We know that Yaya must be attacked on all sides, but come on, we got to get
our priorities right. What is the end game here? So the parliament decides
that they want to investigate this. Then what? They can take to year 2020
(or at least after the next elections, if we have any) to get to the bottom
of the matter. Meanwhile Yaya is still free to engage on his murderous
spree. On the other hand, if the matter with our children is followed the
proper way, it would lead Yaya to the firing squad. Everyone knows that Yaya
stole the money. He stole the $35 million that came from Taiwan as well.
Where has that gotten us? Nowhere. It is about time we wise up and pursue
other methods. If people expect this parliament to solve our problems with
Yaya, they must be living in lala land.
Like you, am also baffled by the amount of trust people like Dr. Touray
place on Yaya and the system he put in place to perpetuate him. Look at the
constitutional provision that allows members of the executive to be directly
involved in farming. That is clearly meant for Yaya. The deck has been
stacked. So this wait and see attitude would not cut it. What should
separate us from dumb people and animals is the ability to predict the
future and do something about it now. You don't wait until the annihilation
happens and then start counting the bodies. There might be no counters left.
This fence-sitting about what happened to the UDP entourage also does not
help. Yaya people were the aggressors here. UDP had a permit to conduct a
rally. Anyone that wants to stop that lawful act, does it at his/her own
peril. What was Darboe and his people supposed to do? Wait until these thugs
hacked them with their machetes and then run to the police station? I join
you and ask the opposition to be on their guard and be more vigilant.
Darboe's conciliatory statements yesterday is fine and good when you are
dealing with reasonable and decent people. These thugs only understand force
and would do anything to stay in power. We should also do everything to get
rid of them.
KB