GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Abdoul Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 07:40:56 +0000
Jabou,

You took the words right out of  my mouth.

You wrote:
"The budget grew to more than that original $2 million, but it sure did not
do much for the average Gambian and instead a society of " the connected
getting served at the expense of the rest" was created."

I wonder why we are sometimes so quick to forget the problems we faced
during the Jawara regime.

We need to continue looking at ISSUES with consistency and objectivity.

In my opinion,  Jawara was no saint either.

Thank you for calling it like it is.

Best Regards,

Ablie Njie- LEKBI
Atlanta

>From: [log in to unmask]
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: [>-<] 1965 Address to the nation by Sir Dawda Kairaba Juwara
>Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 22:25:43 EST
>
>Karamba,
>
>Too bad that the legacy that the Jawara regime left us obliterated the
>possibilities that were envisioned in 1965. The budget grew to more than
>that
>original $2 million, but it sure did not do much for the average Gambian
>and instead
>a society of " the connected getting served at the expense of the rest" was
>created..
>
>I hope that the present tyrannical regime we have is not used as an excuse
>glorify the PPP regime because they were not ideal either. Just the usual
>nepotistic and tribalistic politics which will never bring success to those
>who
>practice it, and time will always prove that.
>
>Jabou Joh
>
>In a message dated 2/25/04 5:10:39 PM Central Standard Time,
>writes:
>

> > This is the finest speech I have ever heard  and I must confess that the
> > first time I listened to it, I had a tear drop. It marked the personal
>truimph
> > of an ordinary man who had sheperded a nation to a goal a significant
>portion
> > of his own people , the colonial authorities and much of the
>international
> > community thought was impossible .With tact and political skills, Sir
>Dawda
> > was able to concieve and help deliver what  came to be the modern
>Gambian
> > nation , a fact that almost gets lost on those of us who weren't around
>then. We
> > came perously close to being candy wrapped and handed over to our
>cousins next
> > door in a manner pregnant with expediency and utter lack of faith in the
> > ability of our people to create and maintain a viable state. As he made
>this
> > speech , he and his gov't were looking at running our new nation on a
>tiny
> > budget i believe was two million pounds with a whopping projected
>deficit of close
> >  to 50%. Inspite  of these tremendous odds , they managed to
>successfully
> > run the affairs of state in 1965.
> >            What stands out in the speech itself, is the calm and
>gracious
> > tone of a man who could have succumbed to the vane and selfish
>temptations of
> > many an African leader . He did not gloat or project a pompous sense of
> > personal triumphalism. Instead he thanked political leaders that came
>before him,
> > credited his political opponents some of whom actively opposed the
>concept of
> [...]

Watch high-quality video with fast playback at MSN Video. Free!