GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2007 00:06:36 EST
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issues
Issue No.  141/2007, 30 November - 2 December 2007

Editorial
Time For  Reflection
It is time for the Executive to reflect on its human rights  records. Two
cases have been filed against it at the West African Community  Court. The case
of Chief Manneh is awaiting judgment while Saidykhan’s torture  case has just
been filed.
Mile II Prison is meant for convicts and remanded  prisoners who should be
admitted upon the production of a warrant of a court of  law and no other
authority. However, the maximum security of the prison looks  more like a detention
camp that houses detainees, especially former close  associates of the
president, who have been held for months or more than a year  without trial. This is
contrary to the letter and spirit of the constitution  which the president
swore to defend.
In short, section 17 (1) of the  constitution states:
“The fundamental human rights and freedoms enshrined in  this Chapter shall
be respected and  upheld by all organs of the Executive  and its agencies, the
Legislature and, where applicable to them, by all natural  and legal persons
in The Gambia, and shall be enforceable by the courts in  accordance with this
Constitution.”
Furthermore, the experience of Chief  Manneh’s father with the executive in
seeking the release of his son and the  self imposed exile of Saidykhan for
fear of persecution are a reflection of the  reality in The Gambia, an indication
that the human rights situation in a poor  shape. It is easy for one to
conclude that they sought redress in a sub-regional  court because they don’t
expect justice here.
The future of The Gambia lies  in the hands of the Gambian people. They can
select a tyrant who rules by might  or one who is committed to the liberty of
the people and will establish a human  rights commission that will enable the
people to defend their liberty. Such a  commission will have the right, for
example, to visit police stations to ensure  that the human rights of suspects
are not infringed upon.

ECOWAS  Court Update
MFWA files another suit against Gambia Gov’t
Judgment In  Chief Manneh’s Case On January 31
The Media Foundation for West Africa (MFWA)  has filed another suit at the
Community Court of Justice of the Economic  Community of West African States
(ECOWAS) in Abuja, Nigeria against the  Government of The Gambia on the
allegation of the illegal detention and torture  of Musa Saidykhan. Musa Saidykhan is
the Editor-in-Chief of The Independent, a  banned bi-weekly newspaper. He was
arrested in the aftermath of the March 21  coup attempt following the
publication of a news report on the attempted coup.  Reports have it that on the eve of
March 27 a combined force of armed soldiers  and policemen arrested Musa
Saidykhan in his home and took him to the  headquarters of the National
Intelligence Agency (NIA). The Independent’s  offices were raided and the staff present
at the time were all arrested and  briefly detained. He was held incommunicado
for 22 days without charge before he  was released.
“I was stripped naked while live electric shocks were  administered on all
over my body, including my genitals. I was told by my  torturers that electric
shocks on my genitals were meant to make me impotent,”  Saidykhan alleges.
Though allegations of torture by security personnel have  been rife during
criminal trials, this is the first time a case has been filed  against the
government of the Gambia alleging torture by its agents.
On the  Chief Manneh’s case the community court has slated January 31, 2008
as judgment  day. This decision was made when the three panel of judges sat on
Wednesday, 28  November to hear the final submission from Chief Manneh’s
lawyer, Mr. Femi  Falana, a Nigerian human rights lawyer and President of the West
African Bar  Association. The court noted that this will give it adequate time
to write its  judgment.
On Monday, November 26, the court heard the testimonies of three  witnesses.
The first witness, a Gambian, testified that he saw Chief Manneh  being
arrested by security agents from Bakau Police Station on 7 July, 2006 at  the
premises of Daily Observer.
Another witness also a Gambian, testified  that he saw Chief Manneh in
December, 2006 at a Police Station in Fatoto at the  eastern end of the country.
The third witness, the Director of MFWA,  testified that the information they
received was verified and that they  forwarded reports calling for the
release of Chief Manneh to the Gambia  government before filing a suit at the West
African Court.
The Gambia  government has never made an appearance before the court nor
offered any  explanation to it. The court however has confirmed that the Gambia
government  was duly served.

Fatou Jaw Manneh’s Trial
Court Yet To  Receive Record Of Proceedings
By Fabakary B. Ceesay
The sedition trial of  journalist Fatou Jaw Manneh could not proceed at the
High Court before Justice  Mabel Maome Yamoa, on Wednesday 28 November. The
record of proceedings of the  case which was requested by Justice Yamoa, is yet
to be brought to Court.  Furthermore, the grounds of the appeal is not yet
before the court..
The  state counsel Mrs. Marley Woods informed the court that there were
delays in the  typing of the record of proceedings at the Kanifing Magistrates
Court. She said  the typist is yet to finish the job. The defence counsel, Lamin
Jobarteh said  they have no choice as far as the secretary is not ready with
the typing of the  records; that they will not object to an adjournment of the
matter to another  date. Justice M.M. Yamoa at this juncture called for
immediate actions to be  taken for the typing to finish as soon as possible. Justice
Yamoa also said she  did not have the grounds of the state’s appeal before
her. Mrs. Njaimeh Jallow,  a co-state counsel indicated that the grounds of
appeal were filed on the very  day.
However, Justice Yamoa stressed that she did not see it. She said “I  will
not look at it, I do not expect to deal with any matter that has been filed  on
the very day if the prosecution fails to do what they are supposed to do, I’m
afraid, I will have to do what I have to do. The Case was adjourned till
December 7.

Where Is Ismaila Mang Jammeh?
Police Deny Detaining  MFDC Bigwig
By Fabakary B. Ceesay
Ismaila Mang Jammeh, a member of the  MFDC hierarchy is not in police
custody, said Police Spokesperson, inspector  Sulayman Secka.
A Senegalese Newspaper recently reported that the separatist  from the
Senegalese region of Casamance was arrested in Gambian soil by the  authorities in
Banjul. However, the paper did not state the name of the people  who arrested
him and the place he was held. Rumours were also rife that Jammeh  was murdered
by forces loyal to Salif Sarjo, the leader of the faction that is  presently
waging a fierce guerilla war against the Senegalese Army and the Jakai  Forces
believed to be under the leadership of Swaebou Kabonge Jatta.
Reports have it that Jammeh went missing several months ago. He is said to
be in the same faction with Alexandra Gibba, who was recently spotted in the
courts with a group of detainees who are suspected of being members of the MFDC
 Military Wing. Nine of them are now standing trial at the Banjul Magistrates
 Court. Ismaila Mang Jammeh is said to have gone missing during the bitter
factional fighting involving rival MFDC factions.
The police spokesman,  Inspector Sulayman Secka said the police have never
had such a name in their  custody. He said “Ismaila Mang Jammeh was never in our
custody”. The military  public relations officer, Lieutenant Alagie Sanneh
could not be reached for  comment. He is said to be out of the country.

Allegations Against  Senegalese Gov’t Intensifies
By Fabakary B. Ceesay
More allegations  against the Senegalese government were made as the trial of
nine alleged MFDC  insurgents progressed before Magistrate B.Y Camara of the
Banjul Magistrates  Court on Thursday 29 November. Testifying in court the
state witness, NIA  officer Amadou Sanyang PW2 told the court that when
Abdousalam Jammeh, accused  person No. 8 was brought before the investigation panel on
13 May and 5 June, he  (Abdousalam) said their group of five received
subvention from the Senegalese  Government. Officer Sanyang said Abdousalam and
another accused person told them  that they received 3 million francs CFA every
month to execute their operations  in the Gambia and Casamance. He said that
Adbousalam indicated to them that the  monies they received from the Senegalese
Government came through one Latif  Hydara with the knowledge of the Senegalese
High Commission in the Gambia and  that they received it at Praia Hotel in
Serrekunda. Officer Sanyang indicated  that Abdousalam told them that the
Senegalese Government gave them many  vehicles, motorbikes and provided tickets for
their elders in Casamance to go on  pilgrimage to Mecca and Rome; that each elder
was given 50 million francs CFA.  Sanyang also told the court that Abdousalam
told them that he was sent to go and  buy arms and ammunitions from Sierra
Leone but that their boat capsized at sea  near Guinea where he was
hospitalized.
Sanyang noted that when Abdousalam  appeared before the panel he was very
healthy and that he never noticed any  tortured scars on him or blood stains. He
said Abdousalam voluntarily made his  own statement by writing it and was
witnessed by an independent witness named  Tijan Bah. He said Abdousalam never
complained to him personally about any  beating or torture inflicted on him at
the time of making his statement. Sanyang  denied the allegation by Abdousalam
that he was forced to make the statement and  that he did not write his
statement himself.
Going further, Amadou, the  witness told the court that on 21 May and 4 June,
Nuha Jammeh accused person  number three was brought to the panel. He said
Nuha confessed that he is from  Casamance and is a member of MFDC fighting to
liberate Casamance from Senegal.  Sanyang said Nuha told him that he is a member
of the group of five (5) who are  based in The Gambia. Officer Sanyang said
Nuha told them that he is the one  responsible for the financial aspect of the
group. He indicated that Nuha Jammeh  disclosed to them that they survived on
the subvention given to them by the  Senegalese government through Latif
Hydara which is always witnessed by an  official from the Senegalese High
Commission. Officer Sanyang indicated that  they were told by Nuha Jammeh that their
arms and ammunitions were buried in the  forest in Casamance. Sanyang pointed
out that Nuha refused to comment on their  operations in the Gambia. Sanyang
also indicated that Nuha’s voluntary statement  was witnessed by an independent
witness, Tijan Bah. He pointed out that Nuha was  never beaten, tortured or
harassed to make a statement. He said that the  statement was obtained at his own
free will.
In another development, the  accused persons complained that the reasons for
not having a counsel is because  the prison authorities deny them visitors who
can help them get a counsel. They  said they were told by the prison
authorities that an order must come from the  court to allow them visitors. Magistrate
B. Y. Camara ruled that if the prison  authorities demand that an order must
come from the court to enable them to have  visitors, it will be done. He
instructed the Director of Public Prosecutions to  look into the allegations that
they were being denied visitors. The DPP promised  to do so.

International Day Of The Disabled December 3
By Yaya  Bajo
The annual observation of the international Day of Disabled persons  would be
celebrated 3 December, 2007 world-wide and its aims are to promote an
understanding of disability issues and mobilise support for the dignity, rights  and
well-being of persons with disabilities. It also seeks to increase awareness
of gains to be derived from the integration of persons with disabilities in
every aspect of political, social, economic and cultural life. The theme of
the  day is based on the goal of full and equal enjoyment of human rights and
participation in society by persons with disabilities, established by the world
 programme of action concerning disabled persons, adopted by the general
assembly  in 1982.
The observance of the day provides opportunities for participation  by all
interested communities, governments, non-governmental and the private  sector to
focus on catalytic and innovative measures to further implement
international norms and standards related to persons with disabilities. Schools,
universities and similar institutions can make particular contributions with  regard
to promoting greater interest and awareness among interested parties of  the
social, cultural, economic, civil and political rights of persons with
disabilities.
The event will feature forums, public discussions and  information campaigns
in support of the day focusing on disability issues and  trends and ways and
means by which persons with disabilities and their families  are pursuing
independent life styles, sustainable livelihoods and financial  security.
In view of this, Foroyaa caught up with the president of National  Union of
Disabled Youths, Mr. Ebrima Dibbasey, who explained that the theme for  the day
will be Empowerment and Mainstreaming Disability in the development
processes. He added that the day is significant for both disabled persons and  general
public at large. He said the day will enable disabled people to reflect  on
the past with regards to their achievements, constraints and challenges in
actualising the opportunities that are available to the rest of the society. He
urged all and sundry to fully participate in the  programme.

Measles Immunization Campaign in Progress
By  Sarjo Camara Singhateh
As the National Measles Immunization Campaign kicks  off nation-wide, this
reporter is with the Unicef team in the Central River  Region to take part in
the weeklong measles campaign.
The team which is  headed by Mr. Jawara Saidykah of Unicef visited various
teams in different  villages within the itinerary. On Wednesday, the team
visited Fullabantang,  Brikamaba, Niamina West, Niamina Dankunku, Kerr Njole, Biram,
Niamina Barro  Kunda amongst others.
Speaking to this reporter, Lamin Ceesay, the Public  Health Officer who is
responsible for the Brikama-ba team said people have  responded well especially
during the first day.He stated that the mothers help  them a lot, because even
if the children want to resist, their mothers do  intervene and help them.
At Biram ,we were told that the information has  reached them that
vaccinators will come but the mothers decided to go to their  farms.
The attendance at Kerr Njole was very good. I spoke to one Fatoumatta  Sowe
who said the reason why she brought her child for immunization is to  prevent
her from contracting the disease. She stated that prevention is better  than
cure. In Niamina West, the coverage was fair as villages are far from each
other and that only two teams are responsible for that wide area. The team that
was posted to Niamina Dankunku moved to other villages after members successful
 completed their assignment in the area.
Speaking to this reporter to confirm  some of the alleged constraints that
have been reported, the Public Health  Officer at Dankunku, Buba Darboe stated
that they had secured 2 vehicles from  the regional health team in Bansang, but
that one of the vehicles has a  breakdown and now they are managing with only
one vehicle.
Mr. Janko  Jimbara, a health officer, said they will make efforts to provide
the team with  another vehicle work swi. He saidpetrol will be provided to
enhance the work of  motorcyclists.He stated that the teams are on track and it
is expected that they  will all meet their targets before the end of the
exercise.

FOCUS ON POLITICS
SANNA MANNEH IS NOW  FREE
PRESIDENT JAWARA, WHAT NEXT?
With Suwaibou Touray
We have been  focusing on politics in this column. In the last edition, we
have reminded our  readers of the famous libel case against Editor Sanna Manneh
of the Torch  Newspaper. We have published the verdict of Hon. Grante where he
acquitted and  discharged Sanna . We have stopped where he concluded his
verdict as thus; “To  sum up, I find the accused
a)          Not guilty on count 1, i.e the charge dealing with Saihou Sabally
and I acquit  and discharge him on that  count.
b)         Guilty on count 2,  i.e the charge dealing with Landing Jallow
Sonko.
c)         Not guilty on both  parts of counts 3, i.e the charge dealing with
Dr. Lamin Saho.
The  Honourable Magistrate finally cited section 178 of the criminal code,
which  stated that criminal libel is a misdemeanor; that No specific punishment
is  stated or prescribed for that offence. The accused he said was a first
offender,  and as such, this court ought not to take into consideration custodial
sentence.  The article itself he said was restraint; that it says “we will
restraint  ourselves to say much about him,” that nothing was disclosed to
members of the  public, unlike the other charges, apart from the innuendo the court
found in it  that he the minister was corrupt like his other friends.
Hon. Grante then  implored the court that the Accused, Sanna Manneh, was a
first offender, with no  intention to defame the minister, and therefore should
be cautioned and  discharged. He then cautioned and discharged him to be of
good behaviour. Hon.  Grante’s judgment created a huge euphoria and Sanna and
the general public were  thrilled. This is the first time since Independence
that the Gambian judiciary  had successfully uncovered a high calibre corruption
scandal involving senior  politicians. Many saw it as a big shame for the PPP
Government that could not be  defended. Would the two ministers in Jawara’s
cabinet dance to their own tunes  as promised by Sir Dawda or would they resign
from their portfolios? These were  the questions in the ‘vous’ and ‘bantabas’
 across the country At this time even  un-lettered Gambians did buy and ask
their children to read for them the Foroyaa  Newspaper, which was reporting
thus waiting to see what would be the next move  of the President, now that the
editor was acquitted and discharged from the  libel and defamation case against
him. The general public expected that  President Jawara was going to do
either of the two or both and that is to  dismiss the two cabinet ministers
followed by arrest and subsequently trial for  corruption and crimes related to it or
ask them to resign.
PRESIDENT JAWARA’S  REACTION TO THE JUDGMENT
Amidst this anxiety, Baboucar Gaye, the BBC  stringer, had an interview with
President Jawara for his reaction on the  judgment of the magistrate.
PRESIDENT JAWARA: No, I don’t think I will react  to the judgment, but I will
inform you that I understand from the Attorney  General and Minister of
Justice that he intends to appeal against the judgment  of the magistrate and I
understand he will quite soon lodge a petition for  appeal.
MR GAYE: So in the mean time from what has transpired in the case you  do not
think it is necessary that any of your ministers should resign or in fact  be
kicked out of the cabinet?
PRESIDENT JAWARA: Certainly not (mark the  emphasis).
MR. GAYE: You are perfectly satisfied that they are all honest  men?
PRESIDENT JAWARA: Well, the legal process has started and it is going to
continue, from the information that I received from the Attorney General and I
think we should let the next stage of the legal process be  completed.
Foroyaa’s comment
Here, the presiding is saying that he will  not take action on the basis of
the judgment because the legal process is not  complete. It is a fact that the
legal process is not complete? Of course, it is  not a fact. We will prove
this point later. In the mean time, let us go on with  the interview.
MR. GAYE: And you don’t think that will be too much really.  Would it not
appear it’s somewhat like witch-hunting?
PRESIDENT JAWAA: What,  What?
MR. GAYE: Well, I mean in terms of Mr. Manneh, does it not mean the  state is
wasting too much time as this is an allegation which has basically been
proven at least in the first trial?
PRESIDENT JAWARA: Well, if you say they  are proven, I mean the legal process
has not gone full cycle yet. So to say that  it’s proven or not proven is
premature. A court has taken a decision and  the judgment is going to be
appealed against in a higher court. So I think here  we are talking about the
reputation of individuals, ministers, which is  extremely important. So that it’s
quite justifiable if the legal authorities  feel that the judgment should be
appealed against. I think the matter should be  pursued in the interest of equity
and justice.
FOROYAA maintained that the  legal cycle is complete and the court has found
the ministers corrupt. Foroyaa  asked the president to join them in the
classroom for some lessons. The full  cycle of the legal process before a
subordinate court according to part 5 of the  criminal procedure code which states that,
if at the appointed time for the  hearing of the case both prosecutor and the
accused person appeared before the  court and a plea is taken and is not
guilty and court proceeded to hear the  evidence and if at the close of the
evidence in support of the charge it appears  to the court that a case is not made
out against the accused person sufficiently  to require him to make a
defence,The court shall acquit the person. FOROYAA said  in Mr. Manneh’s case, a motion
for no case to answer was not made. That all the  steps were taken until a
judgment was made on the matter; that Hitler would have  qualified as an
advocate of the rule of law and a champion of human rights if in  a country justice
is not measured by the yardstick of just laws but by a  yardstick that is a
figment of one’s imagination and so on and so  on.
The anxiety of the people was short-lived when Radio Gambia on  Friday
announced that the Attorney General filed an appeal against the judgment  of his
worship, Mr. Wallace Grante, on the case.
According to the Nation, to  those who were concerned about human rights,
democracy, freedom of opinion,  freedom of the press and above all, freedom and
the independence of the  judiciary, this attempt of the Attorney-General seemed
to make a mockery of all  that was being said that this country was a “model
of democracy”.
According  to the Nation, despite the pressure, one of the ministers said
before the  verdict in close quarters that he would not resign because he had
done nothing  wrong. Referring to this particular stance of the minister, the
Nation reported  that the president was supporting him on this issue of refusal
to resign. They  then asked whether that means that a revolt against the
president was imminent  as some people were saying?
The Nation reminded the president of his earlier  pronouncements in 1978 when
he was addressing parliament. The president  complained that “The performance
of the judiciary leaves a lot to be desired and  by judiciary, I mean not
only the Bench but also the Prosecuting and Defence  Counsels,”
They quoted the president as saying, “For example, when a  magistrate
convicts a man of crime involving misappropriation of scores of  thousands of Dalasis
or even less, the prosecuting counsel does not even bother  to complain and
the whole matter is played down until time runs out either to  lodge an appeal
or for the case to be reviewed, the culprit gets away with it  entirely
through default.” The President was also quoted as saying in 1987 at a  press
conference, that, “if anyone has any case of corruption, he the president,  would
see that it was taken up and referred to the courts, that it was the duty  of
any citizen to point out without fear, corruption and inconsistency. The  Nation
further made reference to the presidents’ answer to a question in 1978 at  a
press conference on Discipline and in which he said that he would never say
what he did not mean. If the president means what he said, the Nation reminded,
 then he should order an inquiry into the assets of ministers; that he should
 follow the examples of Zimbabwe and Japan where Ministers had resigned
because  of corruption. The Nation asserted that the matter was serious and the
fight to  put things right seems to be led not by the opposition parties but the
press  that was at the forefront.

Belgian Philanthropists Assist  Jambanjelly Day-Care Centre
By Modou Jonga
A charitable body in Belgium,  the VZW DE GAMBIAVRIEN DEN, recently made a
donation to the Jambanjelly Day Care  Centre, in the Kombo South, at a ceremony
held at the centre. The donated items,  which are estimated at five hundred
thousand dalasis, included computers, seats,  bicycles, wheel chairs, medical
items, amongst others.
Speaking at the  presentation ceremony. Mr. Fabba Jammeh, Secretary of the
sister organisation of  the Belgian body based in The Gambia, expressed delight
over the donation. While  hailing the significance of the gesture of the
Belgian philanthropic body, Mr.  Jammeh expressed hope that the Link will continue
to grow.
For his part, Mr.  Ousman Darboe, Coordinator of the Link, applauded the
efforts of the women folk  in the community of Jambanjelly towards the success of
the Link with the Belgian  based organisation. He revealed that 54 pupils at
the Day care Centre are being  sponsored by their Belgian friends. Mr. Darboe
noted his organisation’s resolve  to sponsor the students to secondary school
level. The Jam-Bely coordinator  noted that his organisation is keen in
equipping the Jambanjelly Youth Centre  with books and computers. Mr. Patrick Devos,
head of the Belgian  philanthropists, expressed delight in witnessing the
presentation of the items.  He hailed the benevolent gesture of his colleagues and
noted his resolve in  strengthening the fruitful Link with the sister
organisation.
Sally Bojang  delivered the vote of thanks on behalf of the mothers of the
sponsored  children.

HEALTH AND NUTRITION BANTABA
By Sarjo Camara  Singhateh
The Senior Principal Officer of the National Nutrition Agency  (NaNA), Mr.
Amat Bah, said the importance of Iodine could not be overemphasised.  He said
Iodine is an essential element (mineral) needed in small amounts for  growth and
development, especially the brain.
He said that the lack of  adequate intake of Iodine has several health
consequences which together is  called Iodine Deficiency Disorders.
Mr. Bah was making presentation on the  topic ‘Iodine Deficiency Disorders
(IDD) control’ during the Agency’s training  with National Assembly Members.
He said Iodine Deficiency Disorders could  cause enlarged thyroid glands
(Goiter).
He said Iodine could be found in food  and water; that the amount in plants
and plant products depends on the contents  in the soil, and also in seafoods,
such as lobsters, shrimps, fish, oysters, sea  snails and crabs.
He explained that Iodine Deficiency Disorders is caused by  the low content
of the mineral in some diets. He went on to say that the daily  requirement is
very small ranging from 100-150ug per and only about a teaspoon  is needed for
one’s entire life.
Mr Bah gave a report of the iodine situation  in The Gambia from 1999 to
2004. He said the median urinary iodine (ug) is 4.18,  total goiter rate 16.3% and
house-hold iodized salt consumption are 9.0% in 1999  and 13.3% in 2004. On
global prevalence, Mr. Bah said Iodine Deficiency  Disorders affect an
estimated 1.6 billion people in more than 130 countries  around the world of which 60
million are school age children with varying  degrees: 710 million from Asia,
60 million from Latin America, 20-30 million  from Europe, 227 million from
Africa, which is the 2nd highest prevalence in the  world, second only to Asia.
The NaNA official dilated on the consequences of  IDD and said it reduces IQ.
He said school children living in Iodine deficient  areas have on average 19
to-15 points lower IQ than those insufficient intakes  areas. For reproductive
failure, he said pregnant women who lack Iodine are at  greater risk of
spontaneous abortion, still birth and low birth weight;  childhood mortality etc.
He explained that Iodine deficiency kills children  because of lowered defence
against infections, low thyroid hormone leading to  sluggishness,
sleeplessness, dry skin, constipation and low productivity and  that socio-economic
retardation makes people mentally slower and less vigorous.  He added that such
people are harder to educate and motivate and therefore less  productive at work.
Mr. Bah explained that pregnant women with iodine  deficiency can give birth
to off-springs with Cretinism, an irreversible and a  severe form of mental
and physical retardation; Deformism, mutism and deafness;  growth retardation in
children of all ages; that iodine deficiency can retard  physical growth and
cause goitre (the enlarged thyroid gland), an adaptation of  the body to the
lack of iodine. He said that although in most cases it is not  serious, it
could be so large to cause suffocation in some  cases.

MARRIAGE AND FAMILY
‘TUMAL’ (ACCUSATION)
Part 6
By  Amie Sillah
Mum Proves His Innocence
Doctor proved her innocence. She  broke emotionally as she explained her
episode. “We were madly in love. Referred  to as the couple of the century. Your
dad adored me. He never laid a finger on  me until that fateful day. I came
from work wanted to hug my sweet heart and he  gave me the shock of my life. He
beat me to comma. I almost lost my life in the  process. Your dad never allowed
me to explain my side of the story. I found  myself at the Intensive Care
Unit (ICU) of the hospital straight from the  operating theatre. I ended up with
broken arms and a broken jaw. I was in comma.  I stayed in hospital for 6
months. Your dad or his people never visited me or  cared how I felt. Since we
separated I fear men. If my sunshine could treat me  as thrash. Who else would
not? That was my dilemma until now when I started to  come out of my shell and
meet male friends. For 18 years I allowed no man to  touch me.

My Dad Sponsors My Education
My dad as a retired vice  chancellor used his connections and secured a
position for me at Howard. I was  devastated to be banned from seeing you or
touching you. I cried to stupor  everyday knowing that my child was illegally denied
to me. This is a difficult  moment for any woman. I refused to get married or
to stand any man. Do you  believe me?” Emy asked Emma. “I do mum,. I do.”
They hugged and shed emotional  tears. Emma left her mum both greatly fulfilled.

Emma And  B.B
Emma explained her encounter to B.B. “Do you believe her explanation?”  B.B
asked. “Yes! I do. I know my dad now. He must have been hallucinating. Dad  is
jealous and obsessive. He can be emotionally blind sometimes.  I intend  to
get to the bottom of all this mystery.” “But who was the other woman?” B.B
asked. “That’s why I vow to get to the bottom of it. It is an assignment of my
life. I have to talk to dad to tell me what happened. I’ll not inform mum for
 now.” “I am so happy for you,” put in B.B. “Girl! This is my life. It has
been  shattered for so long,” Emma confessed.

Emma With Her Dad
She  cooked dad’s delicacy and committed him to grant her her wish. He
agreed. Then  she asked him what happened between him and her mum that fateful day.
Victor  wanted to back track. “But you promised dad. Are you going back on
your  promise?” “You are a cunning daughter. You got me. He explained what had
happened with great pain. “I was advised by my parents not to marry her. I
defied everybody and what happened? She brought my boss into our matrimonial
home and had sex with him on our matrimonial bed. It was awful. The pain and
humiliation was beyond imagination.” “How are you sure she was the one?” Emma
asked. “I saw her clothes scattered on our bed. My boss escaped through the
back  door. I saw it with my two eyes.” “Did you see mom?” “No! She escaped.”
Emma  sympathised with him to gain his confidence. “Who else was with you?”
Emma  asked. “Neneh, a provincial girl. She was on school vacation. She was 15
years  old.” “I am sorry dad.” “Thank you! There is no more pain. I have you
now. Eat  your food,” Victor urged his daughter.

Emma Visits The Nanny
The  nanny lived next to granny’s town in a big village. Emma visited Granny
and gave  her her allowance from her dad. Then she paid Neneh a visit. She
introduced  herself. Neneh was excited. “Oh Emma! You have grown into a beautiful
damsel.  Just like your dad and mom. You have taken a bit from each of them.
I am  surprise to see you. I hope everything is well?” “Yes! Everything is
fine. But  what has happened to your face. It is all with bruises,” Emma
empathised with  her. “My hussy batters me like a punching bag. He threw me out of
his house. My  marriage is unbliss. I know no peace in my marriage.” Emma
narrated her mission.  “Aunty Neneh, you were the nanny working for my parents when
I was three months  old. I understand you were present when they separated.
Can you shed light on  it?”
Emma got the shock of her life. “It was all my fault.” Neneh narrated
everything that had happened. “I was the other woman. Your mum was at work. Mr.
Peters came to me. We had an affair in your parents bedroom. I was afraid to
explain it to Victor. He would have killed me.” “What! Aunty Neneh! You are
mean  and wicked. You separated two lovely and devoted couple. You destroyed my
life.  You are disgusting!” “I was afraid. I have received enough punishment.
I am on  restitution. I am ready to confess. I want to go to my grave in peace.
” “That  was mean and wicked of you. You destroyed my family and denied me
the attention  of two lovely parents.

Victor Visits His Mum
Victor visited  grandma. “But Emma visited me yesterday. You should have come
together. The  roads are risky,” Grandma complained. “But we have no choice.
We have to visit  you. Moreover, I sent Emma to bring your allowance. I can’t
trust these  university students with money.” “No! Not my lass. Emma is a
disciplined girl.”  Grandma defended her grand daughter.
Emma Arrives With Neneh
“What! You  two?” Both Victor and grandma questioned the duo. “Dad! Grandma!
Listen to  Neneh. She had a confession to make,” Emma announced. “What is it?
” Victor  asked. “I was the other woman who you mistook for Madam. She is
innocent. I had  an affair with your boss.” “What!” Grandma and Victor
exclaimed. Victor rushed  at Neneh and beat her mercilessly. He was separated from her
before she got  hurt. “Leave me to kill this witch! She is wicked and
vicious. What a shame! I  am finished, what should I do next? Where should I start?”
Victor lamented.  Grandma was flabbergasted. “To say that Emy was innocent all
this while? Neneh  is wicked,” Grandma said. Victor was ashamed.

A Family  Meeting
“Where will I start. I have wronged an innocent soul all this while.  You
should leave me to kill Neneh,” Victor said. “That will not help you. Leave
her, God will punish her. She will not know peace,” Grandma advised. “You have
to search for Emily and apologize to her,” Grandma advised. Emma announced she
 can help. “But how? You were only three months when this happened,” Grandma
 said. “I know where to find her. I would show you dad.” “Are you joking?”
Victor  asked. “No dad! I can’t joke with my life,” Emma said.

To be  cont’d

Danish Philanthropists Donate To Sifoe
By Modou  Jonga
A charitable organisation based in Denmark, The Health Watchers  Association,
on Tuesday 27 November, 2007 donated new shoes, and uniforms to  pupils of
Sifoe Lower Basic School in the Kombo South.
Speaking at the  presentation held at the school’s ground, Madam Alice Modsen
disclosed that her  association has been assisting the pupils of the said
school since seven years  ago. She noted that second hand clothes, school
furniture, reading and exercise  books, medical items, amongst others, were
previously donated to the school. On  her part, Madam Lilian Davidsen noted that the
assistance her association has  been rendering to the school is worth over four
hundred and thirty thousand  dalasis. While noting her association’s resolve
to continue assisting the  school, Madam Davidsen revealed that two hundred and
fifteen students are  currently being sponsored by the Health Watchers
Association.
Also speaking  at the presentation ceremony was Mr. Lamin B. Ceesay
Headmaster of Sifoe Lower  Basic School who expressed gratitude to the donors and the
hope that the  assistance rendered to his school will grow from strength to
strength. Mr.  Ceesay underscored the significance of the donated items to the
pupils and the  educational sector.
Earlier, reliable reports, had it that the headmaster’s  store, where the
donated materials are kept, had been broken into and numerous  donated items said
to have been stolen. Speaking to this reporter, the  headmaster confirmed the
burglary. He noted that the theft was reported to  Gunjur Police Station and
that the police had visited the  scene.

Art & Music
FOROYAA INTERVIEWS TAPHA TAAL,  MBALLAX VOCALIST
By Madiba Singhateh
Below is an exclusive interview with  a striving Gambian ‘Mballax’ vocalist,
Tapha Taal, at his residence in London  Corner.
Foroyaa: Please introduce yourself.
Tapha: My full names are Tapha  Taal.
Foroyaa: What is your educational background?
Tapha: I did not  really have an educational career. My biological father is
a Senegalese citizen  but my mum is a Gambian.
Foroyaa: So where did you actually learn to sing?
Tapha:, I started my musical career since I was young, in Senegal, in 1988
and continued up to 1992 when I came back after my father’s death.
Foroyaa:  You must have been quite lonely as a child, living away from your
parents  especially your mum, so how did you cope with that situation?
Tapha: For me,  I fought the loneliness in those days by singing for my mum.
Foroyaa: Did you  produce any album so far?
Tapha: I have succeeded in producing my first two  singles. The first single
is called “Bambagi’ and the second is “Congebi”. All  of them were recorded
in Senegal by Technique Bye in Parcelle, Dakar.
I have  also done some recording in The Gambia on Election and another one on
the AU,  which were recorded by Mr. Kebba Taylor.
Foroyaa: What inspired you to go for  Mballax?
Tapha: Mballax inspires me because as a tradition of the Wollof  ethnic
group, I feel like singing something that can be inspiring and educative  and in a
language understood by the people.
Foroyaa: Do you have any sponsors  in your strife to develop your music?
Tapha: The problem with sponsors is  that they do not pay the work
sufficiently enough even though they work with  me.
Foroyaa: So have you had any chance to be featured on  television?
Tapha: Yes I have done a combination for the U-20 team, in which  most
artists were featured, such as Yusupha Ngum, his brother, Minkailu Ngum,  and others.
We came up with an album on a CD8 track, which included about  eight artists.
Foroyaa: What is the name of your song sang by the  group?
Tapha: The song is Jakarloo and it was sponsored by Mabu and arranged  by
Kebba Taylor.
Foroyaa: Were you part of any band or is this the first time  you played with
others?
Tapha: In 1999, I was with a band called  Daragi.
Foroyaa: So Tapha, what do you want to tell the people?
Tapha: I  want to tell the people to support us the artists so that we can
play the music  and contribute to development of society and the world at large.
Let the radio  stations and TV play our music and do away with discrimination.
Foroyaa: What  is your final word to our readers?
Tapha: Well I want to thank Arouna Drammeh  at Mediamatic for the solidarity
he has been giving to artists. Many have  benefited from his free services.
I want to tell your readers and my fans  that they will soon hear some good
news.
I also want to add that I am not a  narrow nationalist.  I am committed to
Pan Africanism because I believe  that all Africans are one and the same.
Foroyaa: Thank you and I look forward  to the good news.
Tapha: Thank you very much. It’s a  pleasure.

Murder Suspect Detained For 3 Years Without Charge
By  Saikou Ceesay
Kalilu Mai Conteh, a native of Baddibou Konteh Kunda has been  held in
detention for allegedly murdering his brother Kebba Conteh in Baddibou  Konteh
Kunda, three years ago.
He was also accused of being the cause of a  sudden death of one pregnant
woman, wife of one Dunkur Conteh, native of  Baddibou Jarfari but residing in
Brusubi.
The accused was said to have been  held in detention for three years without
being charged.
A source informed  this reporter that there are many detainees at the State
Central Prison who have  not been charged or taken before any court of law for
weeks or months.
When  Foroyaa contacted the police officer isaid to be in charge of Human
Rights  related issues, Corporal Mustapha Fatty, he said that he was not aware of
the  persistent detention of detainees at Mile Two prison, including the two
males  and two females accused of murder.
He said he had planned to tour all the  cells and prisons in the country so
as to know the condition of the prisoners  and detainees there.
Editor’s Note: FOROYAA will find out from the Police why  detainees are kept
for long before being charged and taken to court and why  police detainees are
held at Mile II Prison.

PS Dilates On Human Rights  Education In Schools
By Annia. B. Gaye
Mr. Baboucarr Boye, the Permanent  Secretary Department of State for Basic
and Secondary Education, deputizing for  his Secretary of State, noted that the
integration of human rights education in  the basic school system, coupled
with developing a national implementation  strategy report is important as it
responds to one of the basic aims of the  education policy 2004-2015. He said it
would create awareness on the importance  of peace, democracy, human right
duties and responsibilities of individuals in  fostering these qualities.
Mr. Boye made these remarks at the opening of a  validation workshop of the
report on the integration of Human Rights Education  in the Gambian educational
system and the development of a National  implementation strategy. The
workshop was held at Corinthia Atlantic Hotel in  Banjul.
He said as they are committed to providing universal access to  relevant and
quality Basic Education, the inclusion of Human Rights Education is  welcome.
He noted that UNESCO/ BREDA, in collaboration with the Department of  State
for Basic and Secondary Education, has started work on Human Rights as an
integral aspect of the educational system, since 2002.
“Education for All’  co-ordinators from the sub-region met in June 2002 to
discuss strategies and  work on a document that would assist them in
integrating human rights and the  culture of peace in the EPA National Action Plans of
member states,” he said. He  added that after the meeting democracy, human
rights and peace education were  given prominence in the EPA National Action Plans
of The Gambia.
Permanent  Secretary Boye further said that UNESCO draws its focus on
Resolution 59/113B of  the United Nation’s General Assembly, adopted in July 2005,
charging the UN High  Commission for Human Rights to popularize the first phase
(2005-2007) of the  Action Plan of the World Programme for Human Rights
Education in primary and  secondary schools. “This plan of action was to be
disseminated and member states  assisted to incorporate human rights education into
their school systems,” he  said.
He observed that the 1997 Republican Constitution has guaranteed  democracy
and adherence to the rule of law, respect for human rights,  fundamental
freedom, and also provided that “Basic Education shall be free and  compulsory.”
He reiterated that UNESCO has contributed to the efforts of the
international community in the promotion, encouragement of, and respect for,  human rights
and fundamental freedoms and is mandated to contribute to the  creation of a
universal culture of human rights by focusing on areas where it  has
comparative advantage.
He said UNESCO is presently working with the  Islamic Scientific, Educational
and Cultural Organisation (ISESCO), in  supporting the Research Policy
Network on Economic, Social and Cultural  Rights.
Mr. Sukai M. Bojang, the Secretary General of NATCOM, in quoting the  former
Secretary General of the United Nations on International Human Rights  Day,
said that “Human Rights Education is much more than a lesson in schools or  a
theme for a day.  It is a process to equip people with the tools they  need to
live a life of security and dignity.’’

Sheriff Minteh’s Murder  Trial Not Progressing
By Saikou Ceesay
The murder trial of Sheriff Minteh  involving Dudu Janneh, alias Dudu Boy,
could not proceed at the Bundung  Magistrates Court on Tuesday 27 November
before Magistrate Amie Sillah  Camara.
Counsel Lamin Camara, the complainant’s lawyer, did not appear as  well as
the defendant’s two lawyers namely; Lawyer Tambedou and Lawyer Jobarteh.
Meanwhile the reason for the absence was not mentioned in the court.
The  trial Magistrate Amie Sillah Camara vowed that the next sitting will
proceed  even if the counsels for both parties happen to be absent. She indicated
that  the accused has been in remand for a while without the case proceeding
and that  the case needs to be expedited so as to know the accused person’s
fate. 772  Samateh represented the IGP