GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 08:28:13 +0100
From: Chris Opoka-Okumu
To: UPC UPC
Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2004 5:43 AM
Subject: Fw: Carolyn Edson re: northern Uganda

----- Original Message -----
From: Carolyn Edson
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 10:36 PM
Subject: Carolyn Edson re: northern Uganda

Dear Dr.Nkosazana Clarice Dlamini Zuma;
I am writing from Canada .As a person deeply troubled by the terrible situation in northern Uganda , that I see worsening by the day, and feeling that I am watching a slow genocide unfolding before our eyes I have a question for you. I would like to know why, why, why the South African Government has not, of all governments, spoken out in the international community , very loudly ,very clearly and condemned the treatment of the people of northern Uganda ? For twenty years the people of the north have been the victims of human rights abuse by the LRA and the UPDF. They are in the midst of a Holocaust , death by atrocity and barbarism , by incompetence of the government army, by disease and starvation in concentration camps that are a disgrace to the "civilized " world. And the international community stands by as it did in Rwanda ,wringing its hands , and saying we are talking about it , but it's a very complex situation ,you know! The incompetence of dictator Museveni and his "national " army the UPDF, is evident to all . At the very least South Africa ,speak out loud and condemn the atrocities and human rights abuses, and become proactive in ending the suffering of the people of the north in Uganda! An international force is needed whether or not Dictator Museveni likes it or not !

Yes I am a Canadian and my government has heard from me too. They should be taking a leadership role in mobilizing the international community , but South Africa ...South Africa..We in the global community would really like to see some strong leadership from South Africa.
Respectfully,
Carolyn Edson