GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 16:29:40 +0100
Mori Kebba,

We have not only been monitoring the situation, but have been doing our bit
in finding a way out of a complex political development.

PDOIS was scheduled to tour Wuli and Kantora at about the same time that UDP
was on a tour of Tumana. We had to cancel our own tour in order to study the
developments. We continued to follow the situation of the UDP detainees up
to the granting of bail and the departure of the rest of the UDP entourage
from Basse.

For your information, the UDP entourage did have a problem with four APRC
members on Friday, 16 June. The UDP also arrested three APRC members after
claiming to be ambushed by them. Later on, Alieu Njie's dead body was
discovered. The position of the UDP leader is that an investigation has been
done by his party and that no member of his entourage participated in the
killing of Alieu Njie.

You may see the legal, human rights and political issues involved in this
matter which requires very careful comments at this stage that 25 people are
charged with murder. We came to the conclusion that the development is a
national tragedy and that there should be a national response to it.

In our own view, a national conference is essential in order to look at all
developments and pave a way forward for multiparty politics in the country.
We should be able to draw relevant lessons from all the experiences of the
political parties in the country, including recent developments, and then
contract agreements regarding fundamental points of concern.

Mori Kebba, it may be quicker to ask for my personal opinions on a given
matter since a Party position takes time to formulate. It evolves from
discussions held by the Central Committee on any given issue.

The fundamental question is whether it is not best to address the
developments from a political angle rather than from a purely legal angle.
Your opinion on this matter is desirable.

Halifa Sallah.