GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 16:07:32 EDT
Took the liberty of culling some few bits and pieces from the Observer to
apprise us of what is going on at the commission of inquiry. Despite the
multiple levels of hearsay evident in the following testimony, at least we
got some names. I hope the leads provided herein are followed: "Jimbang
Sawaneh, brother of Sainey Nyabally, the student killed at Brikama-ba,
Wednesday, told the commission of inquiry probing the events of April 10 and
11 that he was told by Corporal Lamin Camara of the Gambia National Army
that they had instructions from Cherno Barra Touray, the commissioner of
Central River Division, that the president had given them orders to shoot
anybody found on the streets." We will take this statement for what it is
worth. Although Mr. Sawaneh went further to say that: "I asked Commissioner
Touray whether he gave orders for the shooting, but Commissioner Touray said
he did not order anybody to shoot anyone."
Following this merry-go-round (as someone put it the other day) is dizzying
to say the least. But moreover, it is sickening that our children can be
murdered in broad daylight, in front of thousands of people and yet there
appears to be no proof who in particular pulled a trigger. We commend people
like Mr. Sawaneh for coming forward. We hope he sticks to his story when the
matter is taken to court and he is not intimidated by the authorities. We
take note of the names of Fakebba Darboe, Inspector Madinding Fatty and
Lamin Drammeh. These people will have some explaining to do. We have a
witness that says that they carried and fired guns. Lt. Samba Baldeh would
also account for his actions when the case is brought before the courts. We
resend our condolence to Mr. Sawaneh and his family for their loss and the
families of all our slain children. We pledge that we will do our utmost to
ensure that you get justice.
KB