GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2007 22:35:43 EDT
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue
Issue No. 123/2007, 19 – 21 October  2007

Editorial
The Plight of The Gambian Farmer
Agriculture is  reported to be providing a means of income to 80 per cent of
Gambia’s labour  force and contributes 29 per cent of  GDP. It is a major
foreign exchange  earner for the country.  29 per cent of GDP is equivalent to 952
million  dalasi. However, 70 per cent of the people living in the rural areas
are said to  be earning less than 1 dollar a day.  These statistics are not
invented by  Foroyaa. They are manufactured from the raw materials constituting
facts  provided by the APRC administration.
The cause of the poverty of the  groundnut producer is attributable to
government policy and management of the  groundnut subsector.  What is the evidence?
In the 2003/2004 cropping  season, the farmers are reported to have produced
92, 937 metric tonnes of  groundnuts. In the 2004/2005 cropping season, the
quantity of groundnuts  produced increased to 135,698 metric tonnes. In the
2005/2006 season, the figure  rose to 140, 660 metric tonnes. The farmers have
been doing their best to  produce despite the high prices of fertilizer and other
farm inputs. The major  problem has been the marketing and financing of the
crop.
In 2004 the  government had a Secretary of State who was associated with the
groundnut sector  for years in the first republic. The farmers were promised
the heavens and the  earth but to no avail. The Nation was informed before the
2004/2005 cropping  season that a new company, that is, The Gambia
Agricultural Marketing Company  GAMCO  had been set up to make credit buying in the
groundnut trade  history. The government went into a face building exercise by
claiming that  GAMCO had the requisite funds to buy the whole crop and that a
regulatory  framework had been created which would not allow any operator in the
Market  whose business does not satisfy the criteria established for their
operation.  The small traders were banned from buying groundnuts and all cross
border sales  were suppressed with unimaginable intolerance.
Did GAMCO salvage the  farmers? NO. It threw them into the abyss of
uncertainty. The trade season which  followed the birth of GAMCO was a disaster. The
Parliamentarians who were  hoodwinked by GAMCO into believing that the problem
of credit buying was over  received a rude shock when the farmers in their
constituencies told them that  things could not be worse. The rude shock turned
into astonishment when it was  gathered that GAMCO received loans amounting to
120 million dalasis from local  banks relying on social security, a public
enterprise, as guarantor.  After  the 2005/2006 season it became clear that GAMCO
was a white elephant which could  not rescue the farmers. In fact when the
President addressed Parliament in 2006,  he claimed that out of 135,698 tonnes of
groundnuts produced only 30,000 metric  tonnes constituted  the commercial
crop. When he addressed Parliament in  March 2006, when any trade season on
groundnuts should have come to an end, he  could only mention that 10,000 metric
tonnes of groundnuts had been bought. The  president said recently that he has
been able to develop the country without the  help of the traditional donors.
Unfortunately, the groundnut sub sector has not  benefited from the heavenly
banks.
As the trade season drew near, Foroyaa  interviewed the SOS for Trade hoping
that the government will give assurance to  the farmers that concrete
financiers and mechanisms are in place to purchase the  crops for the 2007/ 2008
cropping season. Now the farmers can keep their fingers  crossed and rely on hope
to give them confidence that after a rainy season of  hunger and deprivation
they will receive the products of their sweat without  unnecessary delay.
Foroyaa, however, can assure the Gambian farmer that in  this coming trade season
nobody will exploit them with impunity without being  exposed. It is best for
the Departments of State for Agriculture and Trade to  open up complaints units
as Foroyaa will dispatch journalists to all divisions  to publish the names
of all the operators in the industry and any complaint of  wrong doing by them
which are authenticated. We shall publish a special column  called Farmers
Forum to accommodate all the complaints of the farmers and their  organizations
as well as the world market and regional market prices for farm  produce. We
will interview representatives of farmers to start the column. There  can be no
eradication of poverty without the uplifting of the lives of our  Agricultural
producers.

Dr. Taal Reinstated
According to reports  reaching Foroyaa, Dr. Saja Taal who was sacked from the
position of Managing  Director of the Observer Company on Tuesday has been
reinstated on Thursday 18  October 2007. Dr. Taal had served in the position
since 2005 after taking over  from Mr. Momodou Sanyang.

Woman Buries Her Baby
By Amie  Sanneh
Calamity besieged Wellingara on Friday when a woman (name withheld)  gave
birth to a baby boy and buried him alive. The lady who is said to be a  resident
of Abuko, works  as a housemaid at Wellingara,.
The report  added that after the suspect buried the baby, she put empty
plastic bags on top  of the grave so that people will not discover what happened;
that this situation  continued until on Sunday when the landlady discovered
that a swarm of flies  were flying over the scene of the crime. The landlady is
said to have asked  people to find out why the flies are in the area. According
to a source, the  people later discovered a decomposing body at the site
where the baby was  buried. The report indicated that it was then that the lady
suspected her maid  and reported the matter to the station.
The source indicated that the police  at Wellingara Police Station later came
and took pictures of the corpse. The  suspect was then taken to the clinic
and later to the Wellingara Police Station.  The dead body was however taken to
the mortuary.
When the police  spokesperson, Inspector Sulayman Secka was contacted, he
confirmed the story. He  said the young lady gave birth to a baby boy on Thursday
and buried it early  Thursday morning. Inspector Secka added that the police
received the information  on Sunday. He said the body is at the mortuary and
the lady is currently in  custody at the police Headquarters in Banjul
The PRO revealed that the police  are still investigating the matter and the
lady will eventually be taken to  court. He said she would be charged for
committing infanticide. The police  spokesperson however warned the general
public, especially young girls, to  desist from such a practice.

West African Human Rights Journalists  To Be Trained By ACHPR
The African Commission on Human and People Right  (ACHPR), an organ of  the
African Union that is  mandated to promote  and protect human and peoples
rights in Africa, in collaboration with the Open  Society Initiative for West
Africa (OSIWA), is organizing a human rights  training workshop for journalist from
countries in the West Africa  sub-Region.
The workshop which is scheduled to take place in Banjul, The  Gambia, from
19-20 October 2007 is aimed at training West African Human Right  Journalists
who will organise similar training in their respective countries.
This development was revealed to Journalists on Wednesday 10 October 2007 at
a press briefing at the Commission’s Headquarters along Kairaba Avenue.Dr.
Feyi  Ogunade, Senior Legal officer in charge of promotional Affairs at the
African  Commission said said “Twelve (12) countries, namely Benin, Burkina Faso,
Gambia,  Ghana, Guinea., Liberia, Mali, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone and
Togo are  expected to benefit from the training. One journalist will be drawn
from each of  these countries, except The Gambia, where 6 human rights journalist
will be part  of the training.” Commenting on the ideals behind the training,
Dr. Ogunade  said, “Article 30 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples
Rights provides  for the establishment of the African commission on Human and
People rights  within the OAU, now AU, with the mandate to promote human and
people’s rights  and ensure their protection in Africa”. He added that Article
45 outlines  interpretation of the charter and performing any other duty
assigned by the  Assembly of Head of State and Governments of the African Union.
He explained  “as part of its promotional functions, the Africa Commission
with support from  OSIWA, is training human rights journalist in West Africa on
the African charter  and the work of the commission. Dr. Ogunade further said
that the training will  opportune trainees to acquire and explore knowledge
and skills on monitoring,  reporting and ensuring the implementation of the
charter.

Rambo Asked To  Appear In Court
By Bakary B. Ceesay
Councillor Ousman Jatta, alias Rambo,  who had just breathed the air of
freedom after being held for over one year  incommunicado, has told this reporter
that he was called by the Police at Bakau  Police Station and told that the
crime management coordinator (CMC) of police  had instructed that he should
appear at Kanifing Magistrates Court today to  answer to pending charges.
In June last year, he was arraigned at Kanifing  Magistrates Court before the
then Principal Magistrate, Mr. Kebba Sanyang. He  was charged with using
abusive language in public, which can be a threat to  state security. He was
subsequently remanded for almost two weeks before being  granted bail. As the trial
proceeded, he was re-arrested by the police and held  incommunicado. The
Magistrate had promised to strike out the case if the  prosecution continued to
fail to produce the accused (Rambo) in court.
He  said, “I will strike out the case as I did to other cases, this case is
not  exceptional.” However before the subsequent proceedings, the magistrate
was  appointed SoS for Justice.

MARRIAGE AND FAMILY
Discrimination In The Family
Part 5
Zai Meets  Saul’s Lawyer
Zainabou met Saul’s lawyer. She explained what Sulayman told  her. “That’s a
frame up! Which station is he held?” “The Kairaba!” Zai  explained. “But
you are very late. I waited for you for a while. I am very busy.  I have no
time. Where are you going now?” Lawyer Coker asked. “I am going to the  University
”. “That’s my direction. Hop in!” Zai hopped in and thanked Aminatta  for
the lift. “Its my pleasure,” she responded.
Bani Begs her Mum
Bani  begged mum to release Saul. “He had learnt his lesson. Now let him go”
. Bani  went on her knees. Haja bluffed and said. “I warned him! Have you ever
seen a  lamb dancing in the midst of lions and lionesses?” “No!” Bani
replied. “Saul  dares me! I am just flexing my muscles to show him who I am in
Gambian Society.  I am a woman of substance. My voice counts. Who are Saul’s aunts
and uncles?  Leave him there for a while. I want him to run when he hears ‘Ha’
 before adding  Ja to it much more Ou to Mu!” She is mean, evil and arrogant.
Bani was almost in  tears. “Mom! He does nothing to you! He is just in love.
Please get him  released. He is a nice guy”. “No! He has not suffered enough.
Leave him there  for another week!” “Another week in that horrible
condition? You want him to  die? No mum! I’ll do something about it!” Bani stressed.
Haja gave a cruel  laughter. “Do something about it! I want to rest. Give me a
break!” She said.
The Police Officers
The Head of the investigating Team have conscience.  He went to his superior
and tried to reason with him. “Sir!” He saluted and was  asked to take a
seat. “We have investigated Saul’s case. But he is exonerated.  His work mates
spoke well of him. Some of his close friends suspected foul play.  Let us tread
with care well. We should not allow ourselves to be used. The soup  can turn
sour”. The superior is god-fearing. He listened attentively and  concluded the
same way as his junior. “If his lawyer comes, let us bail him. Has  the woman
who brought the complaint appeared?” “No! She has not since she gave  the
complaint”. The junior answered. “Okay! Do as we have agreed”. “Yes Sir!”  The
junior saluted and left.
Barrister Aminatta Coker
Barrister Coker is a  no-nonsense woman. She is a Human Right Lawyer, highly
respected among her peers  not only in The Gambia and Africa but Worldwide.
She is sharp, deligent and  witty. She bailed Saul and drove him to his home.
Zai accompanied her to the  station. They all returned to Saul’s home. Aminatta
spoke. “You are now released  on bail. Be very careful. But it still baffled
me. How can your future  mother-in-law framed you up? Be very careful my
friend! Be very careful!   She will strike again. But be rest assured! I am ready
for her. Nothing good  comes easy. Your prize is worth it”. She smiled at Zai. “
She is intelligent,  witty, sincere and above all loyal, stick to your love.
Victory is surely  yours”. Aminatta counseled him. “Thank you Barrister. You
are right. Nothing  good comes easy. I love Zai. Nothing! Nothing! Not even
prison can make me leave  her. She is my soul mate. We will survive”. The duo
kissed each other. “That is  the spirit. Stick together to shame the enemy”.
She begged to leave. They bade  her good bye and she left.
Mom And Her Bad Tricks
Haja came into her  sitting room and found Bani entertaining her course
mates. She dashed into them  and asked them unceremoniously to leave her house. “
You!” She pointed to the two  guys, one after the other. “Leave my house at
once before I release my dogs at  you!” The two guys got up and started to leave.
“But mom!” Bani started to  protest. “They are my course mates”. The guys
bade Bani good bye and ran for  their lives. “Why did you embarrass my friends
like that?” Bani protested. She  sulked. “Where is your sister? Is she back?”
she tried to trivialize her action.  Bani sulked and replied. “She is not back
”. Haja entered her room.
Haja  Comes To Saul’s House
Haja Oumu visited Saul’s house with her orderly. She  asked after Zai in Saul’
s house. “An uninvited guest! What evil brought you to  my house again? You
mean evil! Your presence is evil!” She ignored him and  barraged. “Where is my
daughter?” Saul became surprised “Evil woman! What are  you saying? You
harbour my Zai and came her forming the fool! If anything! I say  if anything
should happen to my dear Saul mater, you’ll be held responsible. You  are evil and
you know it!” Haja ignored Saul and asked Gas, her Orderly to  search Saul’s
house inside out, upside down. She saw nothing. Gas came out and  announced
to her boss that Zainab was not in Saul’s house. She bit her lower lip  and
hissed. “I’ll be back!” “I’m waiting for you! If anything happens to Zainab  you
’ll pay with your blood evil woman!” Saul barked at her. He now disrespected
 and loathed her evil presence. Haja left with Gas.
Haja Is Worried
At home  Haja went into her bedroom. She contemplated. “Where is Zainabou?
Where could  she be? She is strong headed and stubborn. She is not with Saul. He
is innocent.  He threatened me. I hope my daughter is fine Oh! I hope she
does nothing  stupid!” Haja prayed. Then her mobile rang. She grabbed it with all
the energy  she can muster. Zai! Where are you? You scare me to death! Come
back home. I  mean no harm. You are the only two I get. I work and live for
you. Please come  back home”. She begged. Haja changed her tone. She wanted her
daughter back. “I  am not coming now. Later maybe! I have to complete my
transactions before I come  back”. “Where are you? I can come and collect you. Don’
t do this to me my  daughter! I need you now. I need you more than ever”. Haja
pleaded. Zainab put  down the phone.

FOCUS ON POLITICS
THE FIRST NATIONAL EDUCATION  CONFERENCE
NOT A TALKING SHOP
We have been focusing on politics in this  column. We have traced the
political history of The Gambia from Pre-colonial to  Post-Independence era. The
narration of events is meant to help our young people  to know the past so as to
understand the present in order to enable them shape  the future. In the last
issue we have dealt with the role of commissioners in  the political campaign
of the ruling party. We have stopped where we said the  NCP and GPP decided to
contest the BCC elections in an alliance.
Let us  continue from where we have stopped.
Two issues of national and political  significance occurred by the end of
1987, which are worth noting. This is the  period when the 1st National Education
Conference took place from the 21 to 26  September 1987. Interestingly
enough, all political parties had been invited to  this auspicious occasion, but
only PDOIS participated actively. Sidia Jatta and  Halifa Sallah represented the
PDOIS. The Economists from the Ministry of  Economic Planning analyzed the
economy and asserted that the major cause of our  economic problems was drought
and population increase.
The PDOIS delegates  contributed immensely. They gave analysis of the
economic situation and linked  it to the problems and solutions of Education. This
became a big shock to the  Government because it culminated into a huge debate
as to whether it was wise  for the government to invite the PDOIS to the First
National Conference on  Education. There were others who felt that it was the
noblest thing that the  government had done to invite the PDOIS to such a
National Conference because of  its divergent views. The PDOIS however felt that
their presence was  indispensable. They emphasized that their presence was so
important a factor  that it made the National Conference on Education a
Conference worth  remembering. They argued that because of their participation, it
pushed the  conference beyond the level of what conferences usually were, i.e.
talking  shops, where delegates go to eat, drink and be merry and sing praises
to  government policy no matter how wrong they were.
What Issues Embarrassed  Government?
The issues raised by the PDOIS delegates were described as a  ‘Bombshell’
precisely because they raised issues and clarified them in such a  bold manner
that baffled almost everyone including the foreign delegates from  UNESCO etc.
The PDOIS delegates contradicted the conclusion made by the  economist from
the Ministry of Economic Planning that the major cause of our  economic
problems was drought and population increase. The population of the  Gambia at the
time was approximately 850, 000 inhabitants.
The PDOIS  delegates insisted that the primary reason why The Gambian economy
was in that  state of crisis was the fact that the PPP regime had been taking
loans after  loans without investing all these millions in the productive
sectors of the  economy. They argued that it had instead concentrated the wealth
in few hands,  which consequently stagnated the economy while the national
debt was on the  increase. The PDOIS delegates asserted that government was now
taking millions  from The Gambian people to pay interest on loans that had not
benefited them in  any significant way.
They drew the attention of the conference to the fact  that government had
currently spent over D137 million Dalasi to finance interest  on loans, which
was equivalent to almost half the national budget. They argued  that this could
have enabled government to build the necessary schools and equip  them
satisfactorily. The two delegates emphasized that whilst the conference may  proceed
to formulate an education policy that was worthy of the name for the  year
2000, they should also simultaneously task themselves with what was  inevitable
and even more imperative, the building of a viable National economic  base.
This they argued would essentially be the source of strength, the  fundamental
pillars on which the education system must rest.
The PDOIS warned  that unless the causes of our present economic crisis were
given sufficient  attention, the conference would end up making the people pay
for the  mismanagement of the economy by the present regime. The PDOIS
delegates also  warned against introducing a cost recovery scheme in education in
the name of  making it more accessible to the people, that was likely to lead to
the scraping  of the skinless backs of our already terribly impoverished
people only to  achieve the opposite of what was schemed.
According to Foroyaa, the  representative from the Ministry of Economic
Planning could not refute the  contentious issues raised by the PDOIS delegates and
at the end of the sessions  the atmosphere became so tense that a European
delegate remarked: “That was  good. It was a bombshell”.
Foroyaa observed that at that stage, the  organizers of the conference began
to hand down what it called the “Thou Shalls”  and ‘’Thou Shall nots”
without inviting the participants to take part in  plotting the way sessions were to
be conducted. It was at this stage, observed  the Foroyaa that the infamous
ruling was made that presentations of papers would  not be allowed to exceed
twenty minutes even though those who had prepared  papers were not given any
time limitations while they were being invited to make  presentations. They also
limit contributions on the floor to only two  minutes.
Foroyaa asked how on earth could the education system be subjected  to the
critical evaluation necessary in so short a time and how could planners  “take
into account the legitimate concerns and intimate convictions of the  members
of the general public” at the behest of the vice president when  everything had
to be rushed?
Foroyaa then concluded that it was very clear  from the very beginning that
the new sense of direction and purpose, which was  to be given to education by
taking into account the legitimate concerns and  ultimate convictions of the
public were going to be short-lived.
Other  panelists stated that the purpose of Gambian education should be to “
create a  good society and a good life for all its members” Foroyaa however
argued by  asking “isn’t the material conditions; the way the society is
organised  responsible for the present attitudes and values of its citizens; that
would it  help a person much to be educated on how to be clean when one has to
swim  through muddy water daily? The paper asserted that education at the time
only  prepared a person to either be up or down; that it promotes elites on the
one  hand and what it described as “squeeze outs” on the other.
The PDOIS  delegates expressed their ardent conviction that it was beyond the
capacity and  outside of the plans of the PPP regime to build in their words “
an egalitarian  society” whatever that meant; that alluding to such
egalitarian society would  continue to remain an empty phrase. Interestingly enough, to
the dismay of the  conference participants, the chairperson at this stage
ordered the microphone to  be switched off. Was it that the truth was becoming
too bitter to swallow? Asked  the foroyaa.
Sidia Jatta, one of the PDOIS leaders, could not deliver his  paper on
National languages. The organizers of the conference reduced the time  frame for
presentation of papers. Sidia was supposed to present a paper on adult  literacy
and national languages. While he got up to appeal for more time the
organizers argued that there was no time; that all that they could allocate for  him
was five minutes, which they argued had in fact elapsed during the push and
pull.
The outcome of the conference, not withstanding its relevance, can be  summed
up as follows; middle schools were introduced for the first time in the
school system which had caused anxiety among the parents.
According to  President Jawara, in his address to Parliament,he  stressed
that they must  make every effort and seek to allay parental concerns about the
nature and  evolution of the middle schools. The rationale behind the
arrangement of  locating middle schools in high schools was said to be a temporary
measure  designed to maximize the use of available space in order to prevent any
reduction in the transition rate, which stood at 43.8% in the year 1990. The
next thing was to expand the existing facilities and the building of more
middle  schools. Where would the money come from? The EDF provided D7.7 million
dalasis  and the European Union provided D4.5 million dalasis for rehabilitation
work,  which was supposed to be completed by December 1993. According to
President  Jawara, textbooks rental scheme had been established to ensure
availability at a  fee that was deemed affordable.
The second most important thing that  occurred during the period was that the
Workers Union paid a courtesy call on  the president thanking him for helping
to re-register the union. Foroyaa quoted  Section 23 of the constitution
which gave Gambians the right to form unions and  asked, why must any person be
thanked for the registration of a union?
According to Foroyaa the union assured the president of their support for
the ERP, which had led to the retrenchment of thousands of workers, even though
the same government has accepted to pay 72 million Dalasis being loan given
to  private Gambians, which could have provided jobs for the workers.
Foroyaa  opined that Trade unions came into being to defend the interest of
workers. With  trade unions that support the ERP, the Gambia Workers should now
turn to  political parties like PDOIS, which is working for viable political
change for  salvation. It added that Unions now seem to benefit only union
leaders.
This  was the time Mr. Araba Bah replaced the late Mr. M.E Jallow as leader
of the  Gambia Workers Union and was subsequently appointed by the president as
a  nominated member to the House of Parliament. Would he genuinely represent
workers or would he represent the president’s interest, even where it
conflicts  with the workers interest? This became the question of the day.
See next  edition of Focus as we wrap up the narration of events for the
historic year  ,1987.

2 Men Arrested In Badidou For Armed Robbery
By Ousman  M.M.Jallow
Information reaching Foroyaa has it that two men, a Gambian and a
Senegalese, were arrested in the Badibous for their alleged involvement in armed
robbery cases which occured in two Central Badibou Villages (Kerr Pateh and Kerr
Katim Wollof), some time in December, last year.
According to sources, one  Mr. Keita, a Gambian and native of Samba Nudou
village in Upper Badibou, and one  Basiru Touray believed to be a Senegalese
national from Sinhu Alagie, a border  village in Senegal, were both arrested by
the Police Intervention Unit (PUI)  stationed at Kerewan, in the North Bank
Region. They are said to have been  detained at Kerewan before being moved to
Police Headquarters in Banjul.
According to Basiru Touray’s, the relatives he was called by his business
counterpart, one Amet Faal, a Mauritanian businessman at Kerr Pateh village, to
go and collect his goods from him; that Faal supplies goods to Mr. Touray.
They  explained that upon arrival at Kerr Pateh with his horse cart, Touray was
arrested by the members of PIU. Mr. Keita;s relatives  also confirmed his
arrest at his village by the PUI from Kerewan.
When contacted the police  spokesperson, Inspector Sulayman Secka confirmed
the arrest and detention of the  duo. Secka said they are charged for armed
robbery and would be taken to court.  It could be recalled that in December 2006,
Foroyaa reported an armed robbery  incident in Central Badibou, where a
Mauritania businessman was left with almost  chopped arm and his shop doors riddled
with shots.

SOS Tourism Embarks On  A Familiarisation Tour
By Saikou Ceesay
As part of her efforts to bolster  the tourism sector, SoS Colley with
delegates turnout to address issues in close  collaboration with the stakeholders
and workers to overcome obstacles that lie  ahead.
In presenting her paper at Bailey’s Beach Bar, SoS Colley buttressed  on
marketing, adding that it’s of paramount interest to upgrade and promote the
marketing in all sphere of live. Addressing the Beach Bar owners among
stakeholders SoS Coley called for quality services to be rendered. She gave  advice on
proper approaches on guests, visitors and even security personnel. SoS  Colley
said the Beach Bar owners should not use their places to harbor criminals  and
bumsters suggesting to them to provide uniforms for their employees for easy
identification. SoS Colley expressed the need for employees to be trained in
a  bid to enable them execute their duties.
SoS Colley further dwelt on the  urgency for craftmarket owners, Beach Bar
owners and boat owners to beautify and  modify their business environment.
Mr. Kaliba Senghore, the Director General  of The Gambia Tourism Authority
urged the boat owners to develop their premises  and join together to establish
an association that would address their needs and  particularly issues
affecting their lives. Mr. Senghore dwelt on the need to  speak with one voice, under
one umbrella. He further dwelt on the issue of  concession and said GTA has
not given out any beach bar but they are  strengthening and supporting beach
bars. Mr. Senghore pointed out that beach bar  owners will be treated on their
merits. On the issue of marketing Mr. Senghore  said beach bars in The Gambia
should be modelled like the ones in Madrid Spain.  He said each year they
receive six percent increase on the figures.
Other  speakers include Mrs. Binta Jobe, Ida Jeng among others. They all
appealed for  the need to work in vision to approach GTA on issues affecting their
businesses.  For his part, Justice Kabero Camara mentioned one problem they
are faced with  adding that normally security personnel would come to arrest
someone  infront of tourists; that would give bad reputation about the Beach
Bar and loss  of trust in the eyes of tourists. At the Banjul Craftmarket the
delegation was  welcomed by sonnch epoching an artist beating his drums singing
and praising The  Gambia tourism sector and GTA.

Measles Campaign Slated For November  27
By Yaya Bajo
The Programme Manager of Health Education Unit at the  Department of State
for Health,  Mr.
Amadou Sowe, has told Foroyaa that  the forthcoming measles campaign will
start from 27
November to 3 December,  2007. Mr. Sowe commented that although measles
immunization coverage in The  Gambia is high; the disease is still endemic,
occasionally causing  epidemics.
He added that children who did not receive measles immunization  are not
protected and can catch the disease. In light of this, he continued, the
Department of State for Health and Social Welfare, in collaboration with the
partners, deems it necessary to conduct the campaign. “All children from nine  (9)
months to five (5) years will be immunized country-wider,” he said. On how  the
campaign will be conducted, Mr. Sowe explained that vaccination teams will  be
stationed at one central location in the village where mothers and caretakers
are expected to bring their children for vaccination.
“In big villages and  towns, the teams will move from one designated area to
another. eg Barnabas,  market centres and schools, etc, and some health
facilities will have a team  that will be stationed there throughout the campaign,”
he disclosed.
Mr. Sowe  finally called on the general public to come out en-masse to ensure
the success  of the campaign.

In Sheriff Minteh’s Murder Trial
First Witness  Cross-Examined
By Musa Barrow
The murder case of the late Sheriff Minteh,  a youth who died in mysterious
circumstances early this year, on Tuesday 16  October 2007 resumed before
Magistrate Buba Jawo at Bundung Magistrate  Court.
The proceeding on Tuesday was attended by defence counsel, Sheriff  Tambedou
who requested for the cross examination of the first prosecution  witness to
be done in chambers.
According to the defence lawyer, this is  because the witness is a minor. The
court granted the request and the cross  examination was done in chambers. In
his cross examination of the prosecution’s  first witness Ebrahima Minteh who
is a brother to Sheriff Minteh, Lawyer  Tambedou asked the former to tell the
court where Sheriff Minteh was when the  police vehicle arrived in their
compound that particular night. The witness  responded that the deceased was
sitting in a shop that belongs to one Ebrahima  Njie, which is located near their
compound.
Lawyer Tambedou further asked the  young lad whether there were streetlights
in London Conner when the incident  took place and also how visible was it.
The witness said there were no  streetlights in London Conner when the incident
was taking place and he could  only see some few meters away.
Lawyer Tembedou also asked Ebrahima Minteh  whether he could identify the
colour of the handle of the knife allegedly used  to stab his brother. He
answered by saying “I think the colour of the handle is  black”. When the defence
Lawyer Tambedou told Ebrahima Minteh, “Don’t you think  your brother while
running might have stumbled and crashed against an outer root  of a big tree?”
Ebrahima Minteh responded in the negative. After the  cross-examination, the
trial was adjourned till Tuesday 23 October  2007.

Market Vendors Evicted
By Modou Jonga
Reliable reports had it  that the Brikama Area Council recently evicted more
than one hundred fruit and  vegetable vendors at the Triangular Space at the
Brikama Market opposite the  Guaranty Trust Bank Branch. Reports indicate that
the Triangular area was  sometime this year, sold by the Council to a Dutch
woman and her Gambian partner  for the construction of a Bar and Restaurant. It
is also reported that the  vendors were evicted by the Council without a
notice and that no proper  arrangements were made by the Council for the relocation
of the evicted  vendors.
Speaking to this reporter, Aminata Kuyateh, Ndey Jarju and Siya  Camara, all
evicted vendors, lamented that they were evicted from the triangular  area by
the council without notice. They noted that they were asked by staff of  the
council to move out of the area following the commencement of the fencing of
the area by those contracted to build a Bar and Restaurant at the  site.
According to them, the council did not make efforts to facilitate their
relocation and that they are currently stationed at the other end of the
triangular area. They told this reporter that the space they now occupy is less
spacious and is not conducive for business .The three evicted vendors urged the
management of the council to make arrangements for their relocation. They
lamented that the eviction exercise has affected them economically. They further
appealed to the council to relocate them to an accessible, spacious and
business  friendly area in the shortest possible time. “We pay dues daily to the
council,  therefore our predicament should be urgently addressed by the council,”
said one  of the women.
Nato Gitteh and Kaddy Ceesay all evicted vendors also expressed  similar
concerns. They lamented that the said area is where they obtained their  survival
and that the council should relocate them to a proper site. An evicted
vegetable vendor, Fatou Sonko, revealed that prior to the said eviction, she and
her evicted colleagues were asked to relocate by the council. Ebrima Sanneh,
Gambian partner to the Dutch Woman, refuted claims that the said Area is sold to
 them by the council. He said the council leased it to them for five years.
Mr.  Sanneh declined to comment. Further. The Brikama market manager, Mr. Bunja
 Jadama, explained that the evicted vendors were notified; that the notices
were  signed by him. Mr. Jadama noted that a two-week eviction notice was given
to the  evicted vendors prior to the said eviction.
On his part, the Public Relations  Officer of the Brikama Area Council, Mr.
Seringe Joof reiterated that the  triangular area is not sold but leased by the
Council to the said Gambian and  his foreign partner.   Mr. Joof said the
contract is for a duration of  seven years and that sixty thousand dalasi has to
be paid to the council yearly.  The BAC PRO noted that at the end of leasing
period, the Council would decide to  either extend the leasing contract or to
terminate it. “Council does not sell  anything,” PRO Joof said

Man Accused of Killing His Brother
By  Fabakary B. Ceesay and Modou Jonga
The Jallow family of Dimbaya village, in  Kombo Central, was on Monday 8
October struck by the news that one of its sons  allegedly beheaded his elder
brother.
According to reports, the victim of  the alleged fratricide, Mr. Modou Bailo
Jallow, and the suspect (name withheld)  left home on Monday to look for
charcoal in  Cassamance  where this  unfortunate incident took place. Sources
explained that the younger brother  chopped off his elder brother’s head and put it
in a sack and placed it on the  victim’s chest. Sources added that the dead
body was abandoned in the bush; that  the villagers who subsequently alerted
the police at Brikama Police Station  discovered it.
The Police Public Relations Officer, Inspector Sulayman Secka,  confirmed the
story and disclosed that the suspect is currently held at Brikama  Police
Station and is helping the police in their investigations. Inspector  Secka said
they understood that the victim and the suspect were involved in a  brawl, but
their family members intervened and resolved the matter amicably at  the
family level before the duo left for the bush. He said that the incident  happened
in Southern Cassamance but the accused and the victim are from The  Gambia.
Inspector Secka noted that the accused would be charged with murder when  the
investigations are over. However, PRO Secka could not confirm whether or not
the victim was beheaded.

TOSTAN Train Facilitators on Community  Empowerment Programme
By Lamin Fatty
TOSTAN – Unicef in collaboration with  the Gambia Government through the
National Women’s Bureau began a month training  of its facilitators on Kobi one
and two of the community empowerment programme  (CEP) of the regional Education
Office in Basse at Joseph Furu Gomez Hotel  respectively. Mr. Bakary Tamba,
the National Coordinator of TOSTAN Gambia said  based on the successful
implementation of Kobi (1) by the various communities,  TOSTAN and Unicef expand their
intervention to another forty communities within  the four zones of the
TOSTAN intervention. According to Mr. Tamba, human rights  is very important in the
lives of human beings, that without respecting that  there cannot be
democracy and without democracy there is no peace, he said. He  adviced the
participants to take the training seriously despite the fact that we  are in the fasting
month; that their purpose of attending the training was to  acquire knowledge
and contribute to the empowerment of their respective  communities upon their
return. Mr. Njaga Khan the CDO said it is a very  difficult task, stating
that adults cannot be forced to learn but can learn best  when they are ready to
learn. He commended TOSTAN for complementing the efforts  of the Gambia
Government’s development activities.
For her part the  representative of Unicef in Basse, Mrs. Satou Barrow
pointed out that  Unicef-Gambia Government country programme of cooperation is
highly  concentrating on KMC and the Upper River region. He reiterated that TOSTAN
is  part and parcel of the activities that are to be implemented since
according to  her, most of the activities will come through their way. She urged them
to keep  up the momentum in their empowerment process.
In his opening remarks, the  Governor of URR Alagie Omar Khan commended the
respective communities for  registering remarkable success during the first
phase of the implementation  stating that it is the reason for the expansion of
the program to the other  communities. He said it is a challenge for every body
in the region particularly  the supervisors and facilitators to make the
programme successful. He thanked  the Unicef, TOSTAN and the Gambia Government for
coming up with such a good  programme and adviced the facilitators who are to
work with these communities to  work hard like the way they are doing with
other communities. The training was  chaired by Mr. Edrissa Keita of the
National Women’s Bureau.

Sainey and  Mansally Return to Toronto
By Modou Nyang
The Gambian US based duo and New  England Revolution players Sainey Nyassi
and Abdoulie Mansally, tomorrow, return  to the Toronto National Stadium their
place of reckoning to Play Toronto FC in  the Revs last fixture in the MLS
regular season.
Sainey and Mansally saw  their professional football ambitions turn to
fruition in Canadian soil  following some eye catching performances during the Fifa
U – 20 world Cup this  summer. Sainey’s pacy and forward approach in taking
on defenders and Mansally’s  power and goal scoring touch, caught the eye of
Revolution officials who acted  quickly to snap them up. Mansally scored a
swerving freekick to earn the Gambia  a famous victory against Portugal in Montréal
in a 2-1 win, and the rising  Gambian youngster is already on it for the revs
having already scored twice for  the reserve team. Last week he scored to
level for the Revs reserves with a  repeat of his trademark freekick against the
Portuguese back on 8th July in  Montréal. The two has so far made a couple of
appearances as substitutes for the  first team and have been keeping match fit
playing for the reserve team. Sainey  Nyassi already has two goals to his
credit in the reserves division.
New  England Revolution tomorrow crosses the border for the first time in the
club’s  history to face Toronto FC for their last match in the MLS regular
season.  Toronto FC plays in the USA Major League Soccer MLS, Eastern Conference
league  and they cross the border south into the US to play away matches.
This is  Toronto’s first season in the MLS, the first non US team in the 11 year
history  of the league.
Tomorrow’s game will be the third meeting between New England  and Toronto FC
this season, their first two took place at the Revs home ground,  Gillette
Stadium. New England won both matches.

SK East: Milan Through  to Finals
By Isatou Bittaye
Serrekunda East Nawettan campaigners AC Milan,  has made it to the final
after defeating TK Snookers on Tuesday. They now await  the winner of the match
between Maccassa and Zurich for the grand  showpiece.
Milan won 2-1 following a pulsating affair at the Serrekunda East  playing
grounds. Salifu Badjie put Milan ahead just three minutes after kickoff  and as
if to make things worse for Snookers, they were reduced to 10 in the  field
when Saihou Ceesay was sent-off.But they fought back to level the score in  the
second half through Ebrima Jawara in the 60th minute.
But when Snookers  were hoping to pull a surprise with a man down Milan
struck back nine minutes  later to seal victory. Ousainou Sarr was the hero for
Milan when he scored to  winner in the 69th minute. Milan then missed a series of
chances to extend their  lead.
The second semi final match on Thursday between Maccassa FC and Zurich  FC
was tied after normal regulation time to a goalless draw. And either side
failed to overcome the other during penalty shootouts after seven kicks apiece.
They were tied to 6-6. The match has been postponed until another date. This may
 also result to the postponement of the final which was due on Sunday.