GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Malanding Jaiteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 2009 12:18:42 -0400
Haruna,
An education foundation was one of many good ideas born on the L.
Unfortunately, like many things Gambian, its been on life-support for
some time now. We called it Gambia Education Support Organization
(GESO). The goal is to support individuals (through scholarship) and
institutions (supplies and funding) in the Gambia. We had a branch in
Denmark (many thanks to Absjorn, Momodou Camara, and a few good men);
USA (Sister Jabou, Musa Jeng, Sister Away Sey and many other wonderful
souls); and The Gambia (Musa Sowe, Bass Drammeh and Ancha Bala Gaye). We
did manage to collect funds to support a few students and SIMMA
Vocational training center. The Danish branch (the only currently
active) is supporting a student in The Gambia for this year. Days ago
Mr. Camara informed me that too may fold since they need more than 2
active officials to keep their registration.

As far as I am concern, this is one areas folks in the diaspora can make
immediate and tangible impact. From what I know, it is possible to keep
a student in Basic School as little as $300/yr year or $1500/yr to keep
one in the University of The Gambia. With GESO's infrastructure in place
all we need is a dedicated few to take the lead.

Malanding Jaiteh