GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 21:31:04 EDT
Yes, the APRC regime sent 11 women or so to the UN Women's Conference, but
describing this act as "brave new ground that the Jammeh Government has
pursued" is an exaggeration.

It landmarked in Beijing, China in 1995 and since then it has been one of the
more important conferences for women.  I am sure that every other country has
since sent delegates.  There are 10,000 delegates from the rest of the World
attending the conference. So, short of you attempting to obscure the truth
and spread propaganda, why would you heap praise on the regime for being
represented?

This regime is not pro-womens' rights. Their track record clearly shows this.
 Sending a few women to a glamorized women's conference in NY does not alter
this fact by one iota.

In a message dated 6/6/00 5:07:46 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<

My dear brother and collegue,
I must conclude in all fairness the brave new ground that the Jammeh
Government has pursued in the inclusion of women in the political arena of
our great nation is worth noting >>