GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ebrima ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jun 2000 07:36:53 PDT
Gambia-L:

This came from one of my sources in Banjul!

Ebrima Ceesay

Hello Ebrima,

Ebrima, I was busy the whole of this morning attending a meeting in Yundum.
So that is why I haven't yet seen the newspapers. But I have now sent my
Secretary to buy me today's Gambian newspapers which I'll send you after
reading them! By the way, the video I promised is also on its way to you,
for Latjorr.

My secretary has just phoned me on my mobile to inform me that one of the
newspapers has as its headline the "declaration of Ebou Taal as persona non
grata by UK Govt". Once I read the Ebou Taal story, I'll let you know what
the newpaper is saying about him!

Anyway, you may be aware that Ebou Taal, a former Permanent Secretary and
diplomat, was named ambassador-designate to the UK, some time ago, by Yaya.
However, Ebou Taal, if you remember well, was convicted and sent to prison
in aftermath of the 1981 coup d'etat in the Gambia.
Now, as you know, there is a UK law which says that someone once convicted
or jailed in his or her home country should NOT be allowed entry to the UK.
In fact, if you remember well, the same issue was raised when Mike Tyson was
going to the UK for his first fight with Francis, I believe.

Anyway, as I said earlier on, I have not yet seen the Ebou Taal story, but I
suspect that the fact he was jailed in 1981 was made known to the UK
authorities, as a result of which he MAY have been declared a persona non
grata. For sure, I'll send you the details later on.

Meanwhile, just keep the pressure. You see, Ebrima, I have a lot of
sensitive information which I cannot divulge right now, because they can
easily trace the source. Why? Because these are documents only seen by
myself and my Secretary of State. But be rest assured that once others have
seen them, I'll release the bombshell to you for the L.

BY THE WAY, I HOPE YOU DO NOT PRINT THE MESSAGES I SENT YOU AND THAT THEY
ARE DELETED FROM YOUR PC. I know you journalists like to keep records for
any eventuality but PLEASE!!!! I HAVE FAITH IN YOU, OTHERWISE I WOULD NOT BE
TAKING THE RISKS I AM CURRENTLY TAKING. YOU SEE WHAT HAPPENED TO ALMAMO
MANNEH (instead of Sanneh). Thanks for the correction.

By the way, I was in Kanilai last week and at the approriate time, I'll do a
commentary for the L on the new capital of the Gambia.

Thanks once again!