GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sanusi Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 14:38:28 +0000
Gassa

Whilst I concur with all these developments, can you
shed some light on the current obstacles affecting
GAMWORKS. Are you aware that the World Bank have
decided to suspend financing GAMWORKS, due to
interference from the Gambia Government?

Thank you

Sanusi Owens

--- Jungle Sunrise <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
<HR>
<P>SETTING THE RECORD STRIGHT,
DAMPHA!!!!!!!!!!<BR><SPAN lang=EN-US></SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN lang=EN-US>This is dedicated to&nbsp;you,
Momodou Olly-Mboge and all the other diehard skeptics
of the AFPRC/APRC record on infrastructural
development.</SPAN></P></DIV>
<P class=MsoBodyText2><SPAN lang=EN-US><?xml:namespace
prefix = o ns =
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"
/><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P class=MsoBodyText2><SPAN
lang=EN-US>Dampha,</SPAN></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P class=MsoBodyText2><SPAN lang=EN-US>Even though I
have told you the length of the roads that the
AFPRC/APRC government have already built or are
presently building, you are still asking the same
silly questions. What is the length of the roads, what
plans, what have been pledged etc, etc.&nbsp;I will
try to answer these questions&nbsp;for the final time
and also set the record straight about the Banjul
streets.</SPAN></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P class=MsoBodyText2><SPAN lang=EN-US>The Kombo
Coastal highway comprises of a network of five roads
called KC1 to KC5. KC1 stretches from Senegambia Hotel
to Brufut through Bijilo. KC2 is from Sukuta to
Kartong through Brufut and Tanje. KC3 is from Kartong
to Brikama. KC4 is from Brikama to Jambanjelly through
Sanyang. KC5 is from intersection near Tanje where
KC1, KC2 and KC5 meet and ends at the airport. This
intersection is a huge roundabout. With the exception
of KC4, which is being tarred right now, all the
others are in use. The total length of the road
network is 80 Km, which also includes a 45-Metre
bridge at Tanje. These are a network of first-class
roads that are the only ones in the GBA that have
Cats' eyes.</SPAN></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P class=MsoBodyText2><SPAN lang=EN-US>The Essau to
Kerewan road, whose actual length I do not know, is
fully operational and includes the longest bridge in
The Gambia over the Miniminiyang Bolong (350 Metres
long).</SPAN></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P class=MsoBodyText2><SPAN lang=EN-US>The
construction of the Westfield to Mandinaba road
started from Mandinaba end to allow Gamtel and NAWEC
to relocate their existing infrastructure such as
poles and Manholes that are between Brikama and
Westfield from the right of way. They are right now in
Lamin Village. This stretch from beyond the airport to
Westfield is a dual carriageway that is 26 Metres wide
with drainage and streetlights all the way. This road
could have been completed a long time back had it not
been for the complex negotiations for the compensation
of those whose properties would be affected as well as
the high cost and complexity of relocating the
existing infrastructures of the utility companies.
This stretch of road is 26 Km long.</SPAN></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P class=MsoBodyText2><SPAN lang=EN-US>The stretch
from Mandinba to Soma is under construction right now
and a few kilometers have already been done. I do not
know the exact distance but that is irrelevant to me
as long as the road reaches Soma.</SPAN></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P class=MsoBodyText2><SPAN lang=EN-US>The Senegambia
to Camalo (Stink Corner) road has already been
constructed and the installation of streetlights along
it has already started. Again, the distance is not
important to me since we all know that area of The
Gambia.</SPAN></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P class=MsoBodyText2><SPAN lang=EN-US>The provision
of streetlights throughout the Tourism development
area to deter muggers from mugging tourists is also in
progress.</SPAN></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P class=MsoBodyText2><SPAN lang=EN-US>The contractor
for the Fara Feni to Lamin Koto road has already
started transporting their equipment to the
construction site and is constructing their
headquarters. These headquarters are normally
converted to schools or clinics when the contractors
hand over the projects to government. Again, I do not
know the actual distance and that is&nbsp;irrelevant
as far as I am concerned. The Trans-Gambia road is
also to&nbsp;be constructed in tandem with the Fara
Feni to Lamin Koto road to cater for the increased
traffic at the Fara Feni Ferry crossing.</SPAN></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P class=MsoBodyText2><SPAN lang=EN-US>The EU has
pledged to fund the resurfacing of the Soma to Basse
road this year and that pledge is good enough for
me.</SPAN></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P class=MsoBodyText2><SPAN lang=EN-US>The Lamin Koto
to Passimass road that the former government had been
dithering over for more than a decade has been
constructed a few years back.</SPAN></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P class=MsoBodyText2><SPAN lang=EN-US>Finally, when
you said that the streets of Banjul were constructed
pre-1994, you know full well that that is a blatant
lie. All those roads were constructed post-1994! I
know this because my former assistant, Mr. Laja
Roberts, and myself were part of the co-coordinating
committee set up to harmonize the provision of
underground ducts for the distribution of Gamtel’s
network, to avoid the need to cut across them after
they have been constructed. The consultants were TAMS
consultancy; the principal Engineer and project manger
at the time was Mr. Mustapha Leigh, now Director of
Technical Services at the then Ministry of works and
the supervisor was Malang Jammeh. These roads, my
friend, were not even finished by the end of
1995.</SPAN></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P class=MsoBodyText2><SPAN lang=EN-US>For the purpose
of this arguement, I will not even bother to list the
other dozens of roads and bridges that have been
constructed throughout the country.</SPAN></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P class=MsoBodyText2><SPAN lang=EN-US>This, Dampha,
is the APRC record on the construction of
roads!!!!!</SPAN></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P class=MsoBodyText2><SPAN lang=EN-US>Other parts
would follow later.</SPAN></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P class=MsoBodyText2><SPAN
lang=EN-US>&nbsp;</SPAN><SPAN lang=EN-US>Have a good
day, Gassa.</SPAN></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P><BR></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV><BR><BR><BR>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="Courier New, Courier, Monospace"
color=#3333ff size=4>There is a time in the life of
every problem when it is big enough to see, yet small
enough to solve. -Mike- Levitt-</FONT></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
online, try MSN Messenger: <a
href='http://go.msn.com/bql/hmtag1_etl_EN.asp'>Click

To view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web
interface
at:
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html
To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail
to:

http://uk.my.yahoo.com