GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 14:52:49 EDT
Buharry, quite an interesting piece. But I think it unestimates the
political savvy of the badola in Gambia. I know the gambian people (no
matter how poor or how far they live away from the urban area) are more
matured politically than they are often given credit for. I have watched
garba jahumpa (PPP) lost to dodou taal (UP) who in turn lost to jabel sallah
(UP) when he (Taal) crossed-carpeted to PPP; despite that the likes of fisco
poured money in banjul south. recently, sam sillah (PPP) lost to Dembo 'by
force' (NCP ....forgot the guy's last name). sam had influential and rich
friends in PPP who could not help him win. when sam petitioned the court in
the wake of his elections defeat, one of his complaints was that bakau
police officers were ferrying dembo supporters in their police vans to go
vote for dembo. see the irony! government police officers accused of rigging
elections for the opposition. but if you know dembo, you would not be
surprised to know that he can get that kind of support. when i was in
gambia, i observed that dembo would go to every funeral and ngainteh in
bakau. he literally lived at the immigration dept. in banjul. sensitive of
the fact that most of his constituents had family members that wanted to go
abroad, he would tirelessly weild and deal at immigration to get them
gambian passports. so together with the token gesture you noted on behalf of
sidia, add dembo in those notations. in my book, his gestures were more
appreciative. people familiar with politics in sabach sanngal will tell u
how saihou sabally even at the height of his power would campaign very hard
to win elections... or basse people will tell u about Omar sey or MC Cham
(PPP). i can go on and on (giving you gibou jagne vs. A.A. Njie)  just to
illustrate that gambians are capable of removing the government of the day
(or people with deep pockets) if they believe that the government is not
good for them in terms of providing basic things such as acknowledgement
that comes with going to one's funeral. so the problem is not about people's
naivete or shortsightedness or misplaced priorities. the problem is with
free and fair elections. this government will use any means to rig the
elections, ranging from the most rudimentary forms (stealing ballot boxes)
to the more subtle forms (threatening to cause chaos if they lose). as a
matter of fact they already began. if the more subtle forms succeed, people
will vote for them and give them legitimacy and their supporters can stand
up and claim that the elections were free and fair because no independent
observer saw them running away with ballot boxes. so before political
parties and proponents of elections in the gambia help further legitimise
this government, they have to make sure that they have a fighting chance in
any elections. i don't think they do. it is high time we call a spade a
spade and declare nuclear war on yaya and forget about elections childplay.
he's the problem and not the gambian electorate or opposition politicians.
after what he did on april 10 and 11, this man should not even had stayed in
office one extra day let alone contest in elections. WE HAVE TO REMOVE THIS
MONSTER BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY.
KB