GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2007 21:52:22 EDT
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue
Issue   No. 120/2007, 12 - 14 October, 2007
Editorial
Rulers and  Leaders
The Sovereignty of the People in Question
Sovereignty of the  people simply means that authority to govern is derived
from the political will  of the people and exercised to promote their liberty
and prosperity. Where the  sovereignty of the people is absent representatives
are transformed into rulers  who expect the led to behave like subjects and
regard all exposure of wrong  doings as subversion of authority. Such rulers
react to any expression of  dissent by enlarging the jackboot of oppression and
stand on the neck of the led  until they yield to total submission to their
rule. In this way they spread the  yoke of tyranny and alienate themselves from
all those who love freedom and  justice or are yearning for the protection of a
free and just society.  Ultimately such rulers deprive themselves of popular
will and are discarded into  the dustbin of history.
On the other hand, where the Sovereignty of  the people reign supreme
representatives become leaders who react to all  exposures of wrong doings by
engaging in self reflection and contemplation to  provide  redress to grievances.  In
this way they nurture popular  expression of grievances and enlarge freedom
and democracy. Such leaders become  the humble servants of the people and
because of such service are seen as guides  in the struggle of the people to carve
a destiny of liberty and prosperity. They  therefore enjoy love of most and
respect from even those who are opposed to  them.
The Gambia needs leaders and not rulers after 37 years of Republican
existence.  All those who love truth and justice especially those among the  elders
who will visit the president on the day of the coming feast in the Gambia
should ask him to release all prisoners of Conscience who are simply detained
without charge and trial before an independent and impartial tribunal. They
should ask him to set up a complaints unit at the Attorney General’s Chambers to
receive all grievances regarding human rights violation and injustice for
investigation and redress. The recommendations of such a department should be
honoured without any regard to political expediency.
In our view the case  dealing with the Amnesty Internatioanal staff, chief
Manneh and other  Journalists, who are the victims of delayed justice like Fatou
Jaw Manneh   should be swiftly handled in a judicious manner and concluded:
Only a weak and  immoral government will defy just criticisms and
recommendations just to give  the impression that it is not bowing to pressure. A
government of the people  takes pride in bowing down to enlightened public opinion, be
it national or  international.
The Gambia has existed as a Sovereign Republic for 37 years.  Foroyaa has
existed as a Newspaper with the primary motive of defending the  sovereignty of
the people for 20 years. As we give solidarity to victims of  injustice we must
equally call on all Gambians to make 2008 the year of  consolidation of the
Sovereignty of the people.
Foroyaa is older than the  APRC administration. We survived the first
Republic, the coup and the Second  Republic. We have exposed all the inadequacies of
the First and Second Republics  and are convinced that they can never be
addressed until we redouble our efforts  to raise the awareness of the people and
consolidate the democratic culture of  the sovereignty of the people. Foroyaa
in collaboration with the People’s Centre  for Social Science Research, Civic
Awareness and Community Initiative shall  intensify this civic education in the
coming year. We are not interested in  amassing wealth from the paper. We
will, plough back every butut we earn from  the paper to enlighten the Gambian
people. We will help consolidate the culture  of the sovereignty of the people
through songs, drama, poetry, arts and  literature.   The People’s Centre will
establish a Pan African  Library  and a high grade research centre to produce
learning materials for  those literate in the official language, the local
languages and those of the  African Union.
To make the Gambian people to be among the most enlightened  people on earth
has been Foroyaa’s  strategic objective. We therefore call  on the Gambian
people in particular, at home and abroad, and just humanity at  large, especially
the youth who have more to gain and more to lose, to join us  in this urgent
indispensable and noble task of human civilization; the task of  enlightening
the people so that Sovereignty or power would truly reside in them  and thus
create an impregnable fortress for democracy, liberty, dignity and  prosperity
on our soil. The future  is bright for those who are ready to  shape it by
having a vision and mission to facilitate and consolidate the  sovereignty of the
people as the cornerstone of an open, free and  democratic  society.

Lawyer McCarthy Nearly Sent To Jail
By  Fabakary B. Ceesay
Principal Magistrate Moses Richards of the Kanifing  Magistrates Court, on
Thursday 11 October, nearly sent senior legal  practitioner, Mr. Tubalo McCarthy
to mile prison for contempt of court.
Lawyer McCarthy was representing a defendant before Magistrate Richards. The
complainant wanted to withdraw the case from the court, but the defendant has
to  sign a certain document for the withdrawal to be effected. Magistrate
Richards  asked the parties, including Lawyer McCarthy to discuss the matter in
order for  them to strike an agreement. Mr. McCarthy insisted that his client
would not  sign the document and that he intends to proceed with their defence.
Magistrate  Richards adviced him to do something to free his client from
custody since he  was granted bail by the court but could not meet the conditions
of the bail.  There was a push and pull between Magistrate Richards and Lawyer
McCarthy. Mr.  McCarthy was cautioned to behave himself or else he would be
sent to jail for  contempt of court, but he responded that he would not heed
the advice and that  he does not mind to be sent to prison with his client. He
was shouted at the top  of his voice and Richards ordered for his arrest. He
was arrested and detained  in the company of the accused persons in court, but
Mrs Merley Wood and Njammeh  Jallow, the two state counsels, together with
Lawyer sissoho and other police  prosecutors intervened and pleaded with the
Magistrate not to send him to jail.  Magistrate Richards insisted that he would not
tolerate Mr. McCarthy coming to  court drunk and disrupt the court sitting. “
Why should he appear before me when  he is drunk? I will not allow it in my
court,” said Magistrate Richards.  Magistrate Richards rose and entered his
chamber followed by the two state  counsels and Sissoho. They returned after a
while and asked Mr. McCarthy to go  home. Mr. McCarthy is a South African Lawyer
who has been practicing law in The  Gambia since 1981.

SOS For Trade Clarifies
By Bubacarr K.  Sowe
Abdou Kolley, the Secretary of State for Trade, Industry and Employment  has
promised that there will be no restrictions to anyone who wants to venture
into the 2007/2008-groundnut trade season.
Speaking to Foroyaa on Monday, Mr.  Kolley said the “groundnut sector is
liberal like any other “product.” He said  groundnut has ever been liberalized.
He said the sector  sometimes have one  or two operators and the people tend to
have the impression that it is  limited.
“The groundnut sector is liberal. Any investor, who wants to come  in, can
come. Be it in production, processing, buying and selling. There is no
restriction,” the Secretary of State said. He added that as far as the groundnut
trade is concerned, the Department of State for Trade would collaborate with the
Department of State for Agriculture and the Department of State for Finance to
 create an enabling environment for the operators.
On the issue of buying nuts  on credit basis by operators in the past years,
Mr. Colley said there has been  government intervention through frameworks and
this year too he is hoping that  the same thing would happen. “But I can sit
here today and say to the farmers  there is going to be no credit buying. As I
speak now I do not know what is  going to be put in place, it has not been
finalized yet.”
He said there is  criteria put in place for operators to make sure that
farmers are paid on the  spot of buying and any operators who do not satisfy those
criteria will not be  eligible to participate in the trade season.
On the sale of other products  such as cotton, sesame and cashew nuts, the
Secretary of State assured the  general pubic that there are no barriers against
possible investors.

A I Demands Unconditional Release of Staff
Amnesty  International today called for the immediate and unconditional
release of its  two delegates and a local journalist who was detained with them in
the  Gambia.
No charges have been brought against the Amnesty International  delegates or
the local journalist.
The organization confirmed that while  Tania Bernath, Ayodele Ameen and
journalist Yaya Dampha were conditionally  released yesterday evening, they are
still not free to leave the Gambia.
“Our  delegates were on a public and official visit to investigate the human
rights  situation in the Gambia, and the Gambian authorities had been informed
of their  visit,” said Erwin van der Borght, Director of Amnesty International
’s Africa  Programme.
“It is completely unacceptable for any government to attempt to  impede the
work of human rights workers and we are dismayed that our colleagues  and the
local journalist have not yet been unconditionally released. We are  taking
this up with the Gambian authorities at a senior level.”
The Amnesty  International delegates were in the Gambia looking into various
long-standing  concerns the organization has about the human rights situation
in the country,  including conditions of detention, arbitrary arrests and
detentions without  charge.

Journalists And Scientists To Launch Malaria Research  Network
By Bubacarr K. Sowe
“The African Media and Malaria Research  Network (AMMREN), will soon be
launched in The Gambia,” said Pa Modou Faal,  Country Coordinator of The Gambia
Chapter.
“Plans are at an advanced stage to  launch it this month,” Mr. Faal told
Foroyaa on Monday. He said that structures  are already in place and
organisations such as the Medical Research Council  (MRC), The Centre for Innovation
Against Malaria (CIAM), The National Malaria  Control Programme (NMCP) and the
Media are among the partners.
“Our coming  together will reduce the Malaria toll on the public through
vigorous campaign  and close collaboration with scientists and experts working in
the area of  malaria,” Mr. Faal stated.
The AMMREN Country Coordinator went on to say that  their programmes will
include the training of journalists on how to give  adequate attention to topics
related to malaria. The network will be publishing  a quarterly magazine as
well.
This body came as a result of a workshop on  malaria reporting for African
journalists in November 2006 in Ghana.
It was  subsequently launched in Mombassa, Kenya on April this year at a
follow up  workshop. According to Mr. Faal it was recommended at the Mombassa
meeting that  the nine member countries (The Gambia, Ghana, Malawi, Mozambique,
Gabon, Kenya,  Senegal and Nigeria) have AMMREN chapters.

Army Warns  Civilians And Sister Forces
By Fabakary B. Ceesay
The Army  Spokesman, Lieutenant Alagie Sanneh, has warned the general public
and other  security personnel in the country to desist from wearing military
outfit. He  said camouflage uniform is for soldiers only and not other security
officers,  much less civilians.
Lieutenant Sanneh said it had come to the notice of the  Army that civilians
and personnel from other sister forces wear military  uniforms. He said some
soldiers who are dismissed from the Army are also of the  habit of putting on
military clothes so as to deceive the society that they are  still in the army.
PRO Sanneh revealed that they do receive complaints from the  public that
people dressed in military clothes have committed unlawful acts. He  explained
that when such incidents are reported, they do conduct investigations  and often
discover that the culprits are not soldiers, but impersonators.  “Nobody is
allowed to put on military gears such as Caps, T-shirts and trousers.  The
Armed Forces Spokesman said that the military police  are responsible  for
confiscating military clothes from anyone who is not a soldier, but was  quick to add
that while executing such a task they should not act in any  arrogant manner
but rather with respect and discipline. He said they have piles  of military
clothes that were confiscated from the ports before they entered our  markets.
PRO Sanneh was informed of an allegation that a military police in  uniform
entered a shop at the Serekunda market the previous week and seized five  sets
of children’s camouflage clothes. In response, he said children’s clothes
are not included because they cannot be used for the purpose of impersonation.
PRO Sanneh warned soldiers to desist from such acts and promised to mount an
investigation into the allegation and that if it turns out to be true, the
clothes would be returned to the owner. He emphasized the need for a cordial
civil - military relationship in order to facilitate their work. He said
civilians and security personnel should not see each other as  enemies.

Mental Health Day Commemorated
By Sarjo Camara  Singhateh
October 10, every year, the world over, World Mental Health  Day is
commemorated and this year’s  theme  is “Mental Health in a  changing world: The
impact of culture and Diversity”.
According to the  statements read by the World Health Organisation’s (WHO)
Representative to the  Gambia, Dr. Nestor Shivute and the Secretary of State for
Health and Social  Welfare, Dr. Tamsir Mbowe on the day, it is indicated that
this year’s theme  further reiterates that fact that but with emphasis on
bringing the world’s  attention to trans-cultural mental health services and
treatment. The WHO  Representative said that World Mental Health Day is an annual
campaign and a  golden opportunity for all of us, irrespective of who we are,
where we are and  what we do, to reflect on the plight of the mentally ill,
and to take the  necessary action for the promotion of the mental well-being of
our  communities.
Dr. Shivute said the day is not only dedicated to awareness  raising on
mental issues, but it is about taking the right decisions, putting  the right
policies in place and taking the appropriate actions at all levels for  the
prevention and control of mental and neurological disorders. Dr. Shivute  said The
Gambia is in the forefront in mobilizing the much needed policy support  for the
promotion of mental health in the country. “The development of a mental
health policy and a strategic plan is a clear testimony of the Department of
State for Health’s resolve to improve the mental well-being of the Gambian
community”,  he said.
The WHO  Representative said what is now left  it to raise the necessary
resources for the realization of the goals and ideals  contained in these policy
document. He stated that it will be recalled that last  year we focused
attention on Building Awareness-Reducing Risk, Mental illness  and suicide; that poor
Mental Health Status of our populations can lead to  negative health
implications.
Dr. Shivute, however, said it must be  emphasized that just as health is not
merely the absence of disease, mental  health is also not simply the absence
of mental disorder, but represents a  positive state of mental well-being and
no meaningful health can be achieved  without positive mental well-being.
“We do not have to conduct any scientific  research to establish these facts
as some of these changes are just at our door  steps,” he said. In the mental
health care setting, culture impacts on how  people label and communicate
distress; explain the causes of mental health  problems; perceive mental health
providers, and utilize and respond to mental  health treatment.
On his part, Dr. Mbowe said understanding and tolerance of  all cultures and
lifestyles is crucial in the delivery of competent mental  health care. He
said in 1948, following the devastation of world war II, the  founding document
of World Federation of Mental Health (WFMH) called for a world  community based
on “respect for individual and cultural differences. It  proclaimed the goal
of mental health as the ability to “live with one’s fellow  in one world”. He
said by advocating equal treatment and opportunity for all,  regardless of
culture, ethnicity or socio-economic status, and including  refugees, mentally
ill persons and women, the new federation challenged the  values and practices
of traditional and authoritarian societies. “The underlying  message is that
health and well-being cannot survive either, the violation of  basic freedoms
or the deprivation of basic needs,” he  noted.

Economics Is A Science; Lets Look Before We Leap
By  Suwaibou Touray
First and foremost, the Dalasi was pegged to the British  Pound since
independence and it had been re-valued sometime in the late 1970’s  because of the
strength of the British Pound.
The pound sterling is always  strong because a huge deposit of gold that
Britain had accumulated has been  backing it since from her imperial days. The
gold is historically used as a  medium of exchange in trade and this is why it is
used as a valuable commodity  to back or serve as guarantor of currencies
because the value of the gold hardly  depreciates.
This is precisely why many currencies are being backed by gold.  The problem
with our currency is that it is not backed by gold anymore, since it  has been
detached from the pound sterling in 1985.
The development of  economic science had made it easy so that now the Central
Banks in developing  countries do not have to hold actual gold for Dollars
worth .All that was  required is confidence in the currency .So if a country
cannot buy Gold to back  its currency, it can achieve confidence by utilizing its
currency to buy the  currency of strong economies such as Britain (the
Sterling) which is backed by  Gold or the US Dollar which is popular in
International reserves because of the  domination of the US over the World economy and
ofcourse the fairly stable  history of its currency. Their currency is also
strenghtened by the buying of US  Treasury Bills that can easily be converted to
Dollar denominated Assets.
According to the Secretary of State for Finance, the Gambia is paying its
debts from the Central Bank reserves. In most cases, developing countries have
only three to four months import cover just in case there is an emergency
problem such as a disaster etc. Reserves help countries to manage the risks they
face, and it builds up confidence in both the country and its currency.
In  economic terms reserves form a buffer against un- expected changes in the
cost  of debt by an increase in interest rates. Reserves can also be used to
manage  the exchange rate. Without Reserves the exchange rate can fall, often
quite  dramatically, as speculators seeking profit or what they called
currency  manipulators sell a country’s currency.
According to researchers, instability  in exchange rates can lead to enormous
economic instability. It has also been  discovered that if a country engages
in what they called countervailing; i.e.  buying the country’s currency when
others are selling the country’s currency  when others are buying –Government
can stabilize the exchange rate and thereby  stabilize the economy.
Mark you, this can only be done by selling dollars to  buy the local currency
if they indeed have adequate reserves to sell .The danger  in this is that if
you use your limited reserves in Dollars to buy your own  currency and should
there be an emergency it can have a serious negative effect  leading to
economic crisis.
So as you know by 1986 it was felt by the  government at the time that the
Dalasi was over valued and therefore found  necessary to effect what they called
a fundamental reform of the foreign  exchange system in order to induce
efficient allocation of resources. As a  result, the Dalasi was floated through the
introduction of a flexible inter-bank  system.
According to the government, one immediate result of this measure was  the
curtailment of a thriving “Black market” in foreign currency, so that the
margin in exchange rates between the “Black market” and Commercial Bank rate
could be narrowed.
Since the Dalasi is not backed by gold, it can be made  strong only by one of
three ways. 1. The Gambia must make effort to produce raw  materials as such
as groundnut in good quality and in large quantity. This can  also be
transformed into value added products leading to the production of more  commodities
for export.
The Gambia also produces cotton, this can be ginned  and subsequently
transformed into cotton wool, clothing etc, which can be  exported to other countries
to generate the much needed foreign exchange.
The  country is also blessed with the ocean. If we are serious about the
development  of our economy, the ocean can be utilized as a springboard to
generate immense  resources by investing in this sector. Fish and fish products are
required  everywhere in the world. So if we adequately invest in this sector,
it can  employ quite a large percentage of the citizenry as well as generate
foreign  exchange. It is these wealth and resources, which  go to back the
Dalasi  and thereby make the economy not only stable but to grow as well.
It is the  resources and wealth of the European countries, which are terribly
needed by the  world that we have to buy the Euro to buy those merchandise.
Similarly it is the  merchandise produced in the Gambia that must attract
outsiders to buy the Dalasi  in order to get those goods. The interesting thing is
that despite the fact that  the Dalasi is not guaranteed by gold, despite the
fact that the main foreign  exchange earner groundnuts and cotton have not
fared well in 2007 and the  impression given to was that there is too much
foreign currency in stock which  is not needed by anyone since there is no scramble
over the Euro or dollar.  Therefore their rates have depreciated against the
Dalasi. The other interesting  thing is that the Dalasi is appreciating against
not only one but all the other  international currencies. This is what
baffles many people.
Well, the  Dalasi can have periodic appreciation against other currencies if
other  currencies fluctuate. For example, the Dollar has fluctuated recently
because  the interest rates in America had gone down, reducing the scramble for
the  Dollar. Other countries can also reduce the power of their currencies so
as to  encourage business between them and other countries as it was done
with the Euro  sometime ago. Right now the Euro countries are contemplating as to
whether to  reduce the strength of the Euro for the second time to facilitate
trade between  them and other countries. When that happens, smaller
currencies can appreciate  against it.
Secondly, Central Banks or governments can re-value a currency  and peg it
upwards just like they can devalue it. If they revalue it, it means  the value
has gone up. For example, the value of D5 would be equivalent to D4  and what
D5 used to purchase, D4 would be able to acquire that, and so on.  Revaluation
however should not be done without the proper assessment of the  economy, just
like the sort of assessment done to devalue the Dalasi in 1986.  Law should
back this type of revaluation or devaluation.
It is however highly  unlikely as some opinions suggest that commercial banks
may have a lot of  foreign currency in stock that is the reason why they are
not willing to buy  foreign currency. The lack of foreign currency was what
led to the high price of  the Dollar and the Euro. How will the banks be stocked
with foreign currency  when the export volume of the country is at an all
time low? However, we cannot  discount it because of the International Bank
secrecy laws. They may do so just  to avoid bankruptcy        So as you can see
the only two possible methods to stabilize the exchange rate in the absence of
exports is for the Central Bank to utilize its reserves in Dollars to buy the
Dalasi when people are selling it or to sell it when people are buying it.
The  other method, which is unconventional, is for speculators to bring in huge
amounts of foreign exchange and buy the Dalasi when people are selling it or
sell it when people are buying it just for the sake of profit making. It
however  remains to be seen how there can be a strong macro-economic stability
without  exporting our cash crops and investing in the productive sectors of the
economy
So as it stands it is very important that our economists undertake to  study
our economy, which appears to be volatile, so as not to venture into non-
conventional methods, which may not be sustainable in the long run by resulting
to things such as capital flights or reduced investor confidence.
Mark  you; Gambia has to pay debts due for repayment and that too must be
paid in  foreign currency not in Dalasi. We are a Highly Indebted Poor Country
(HIPC)  which has taken loans from left, right and center .As a result of the
IMF  conditions we will not be able to meet the basic needs of the citizenry and
will  not be able to make the necessary investments which we must do if we
are to grow  out of this poverty trap. So let us look before we leap or else we
will  falter.
According to Stiglitz, the debt relief sought by HIPC countries is  done in
ways that detract a country from acquiring other sources of assistance.
According to him debt relief was a powerful tool for the IMF to compel such
countries like The Gambia to go along with almost anything it demanded.  According to
him some type of debts are incurred by Governments that are either  not
democratically chosen or are civilian dictatorships, and the borrowed money  may
even have helped a brutal regime to stay in power.
Researchers also  noticed that some lenders do give loans to countries either
for political  reasons, such as to buy economic favour to gain access to rich
mineral resources  or to gain support in the UN general Assembly, etc.
So as Stiglitz asserted,  it is even immoral to force the people of those
debtor countries to pay such  debts.

MARRIAGE AND FAMILY
Discrimination In  The Family
Part 2
News Of Her Appointment
Haja was not aware. She came  to work and continued her normal schedule. Co
workers came to congratulate her.  “For what!” She exclaimed. “You are
promoted to the rank of a Perm Sec. It is  being announced over radio”. They said. “
What? Unbelievable!” “No! it is not.  You deserve more. You are a deligent
team leader. We wish you well madam”.  “Thank you”. She said. Then her mobile
rank. The call was from the Secretary of  State (SoS). “Congratulations Madam!
You have been promoted. Keep up the  momentum!” “Thank you Ma! Thank you!”
She exclaimed with excitement.
Gives  News To Daughters
Bani was doing laundry at the backyard. Her mum called to  give the good
news. Bani jumped up the sky. “What? Mum! Congrats! Let me inform  Zai. She is in
her room”. “Okay! I am coming just now. We need celebration”.  “Thank you
mum! Thank you!” Bani shouted Sai’s name. “Zainab! Zainab! Come good  news!
Good news!” Zai came but rushing. “What is the good news? I am all ears”.  “Mum
is promoted to the rank of a Permanent Secretary. Our class status is
raised. Don’t you get it?” The two girls rejoiced and thanked Allah.
Mummy  Comes Home
Mum came to a happy home. They cooked a delicious dish, drank  juice and
played music. “It is great!” They all exclaimed.
Transfer To New  Quarters
The family relocated to Government Quarters. Senior Servants have
privileges. The family was very happy. Zai lamented missing the old house.  “Nonsense!
Try to get and appreciate class. How can we stay at the old house  when Mum’s
status have risen?” They started their girlish arguments again. Mum  stopped
them. “Not again! New year new style. Forget about the old squabbles and  start
all over again”. She advised. “Lets eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow  we
may die”. She said.
New Style
Bani dressed to go to the shop. Mum  called her back. “Look at your dress!
You look like a Slut at Red Light  District. You are making yourself a victim of
abuse. Go back into your room and  change your immoral dress”. Bani defended
herself. “I thought it okay. I am just  buying bread at the shop”. “Is the
shop not in the street? Go in there and  change. I am not entertaining any
argument”. “Okay!” Bani went back and changed  her dress reluctantly.
Zai With A Male Friend
A male course colleague,  Mustapha came to share notes with Zainab. As they
were discussing, Mum entered  the compound. Zai was scared to death. She
signaled Mustapha to leave. Mum  passed him on his way out. He greeted her but she
refused to respond. “Who is  he?” She asked her daughter. “He is Mustapha, my
course mate. He came for us to  share notes”. “Nonsense! I disallow and
forbid it! Men are callous and mean.  They take advantage of naive fools like you.
Take care of yourself. Be focus!”  “Okay mum!” Zai responded. She was glad to
cool off the temperature. Mum asked  for Bani. “She is out mum”. Zai replied.
Transfer To The New House
They  are now officially transferred to the new house with an official car
and orderly  to escort Haja Oumu around.
High Class Life
Haja criticized her gateman.  “Come here Musa! What is this?” She examined
his dress. “Your shirt is torned  and rumpled! Have you quarrel with iron? Look
at you shoes! You wore slippers to  manage my gate? Go and change your dress
and wear sandals. If I ever see you  dress like this again, you’ll be sacked!
Get out of my sight”. Mose went to  change to secure his job.
Meeting Heads Of The Various Regions
Haja  called a meeting of the Educational Heads of Regions. They all
attended. She  gave her sets of rules. One officer tried to rectify her but she
blasted him.  “Shut up! No one interrupts while I speak. You have to obey my
instructions  without any hesitation. I worked in the field for forty years. I know
what is  there. I did an exemplary work at Region one. That’s why I was
recalled to  handle Region Two before my present promotion. Do as I say. I was there
before  you. Okay! Go back to your various regions and implement my orders.
Understood!”  “Yes ma!” They responded. Before she left a lady raised her hand.
“Yes!” “Madam!  We cannot make any observation or comment?” “It is
unnecessary. I have spoken.  Good day!” She left. The heads of Regims shook their
heads. “She was rude and  disgusting!” they exclaimed.
Taking To SoS
As Haja talked to SoS you  noticed total submission. She became a humble
servant. “Yes ma! I understand.  Okay! Consider it done. Bye-bye”. She put down
her phone. SoS was asking Haja to  do an errand for her. If you look up, you
have to look down.
At Home
Saul  came to visit his girl friend. The orderly announced that a visitor is
asking  after Zai. “Who is he? Has he a car?” “Madam! I don’t know him. He
came on  foot”. Let him come in”. Haja said nonchalantly
Visitor Is Questioned
Saul came in and greeted Haja. She answered snobbishly and refused to give
him a seat. She called Zai. She came into the sitting room. She was excited to
see Saul. As she went to greet him Haja stopped her. “Stop! Sit down! Don’t
go  to him”. Zai sat down. She felt embarrassed. Haja started her questioning.
She  belittled and discriminated against Sulayman. “Who are you? Who are your
 parents? Where do you work?” She did not give him time to answer the
questions.  Zai protested. “Offer him a seat for Allah’s sake. Why are you
embarrassing my  friend with all these irrelevant questions?” “Nonsense! Shut up! He
has to  answer before he is welcomed in my home”. “Well! My name is Sulayman
Faal. I am  an accountant working at the Continental Bank. My parents are poor
peasants  living at the village”. “You are below our class. You cannot marry
my daughter.  Get out of my house!” Zai wanted to follow him. “Stop! Go into
your room”. Haja  ordered.

West African Workshop On Spectrum Management Ongoing
By  Annia Gaye
The Gambia Public Utilities Regulatory Authority (PURA) in  collaboration
with the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) are jointly  organizing a
five day West African Workshop on Spectrum Management at the  Paradise Suite
Hotel. The workshop commenced on the 8 of October and would end  on the 12
October.
In delivering her keynote address, the Secretary of State  for Communication
and Information Technology Neneh Macdouall Gaye said the  Government of the
Gambia through her department of state is determined to push  the agenda of a
liberalized market for telecommunications and allied sectors.  This, she said,
means that they are encouraging and promoting competition,  putting in place
the needed policy, legal and institutional framework so as to  attract
investment, especially in the technology intensive sector. This, she  said, is vital to
the transformation of knowledge, economy and integration in  the global
economy. She noted that the workshop would provide an opportunity for  member
states of ECOWAS to cooperate and collaborate in ensuring that  qualitative
spectrum standards are maintained and the incidence of interference  minimized so
that it would not affect flexibility and economic  efficiency.
“As this workshop focuses on technical efficiency, let us all  look for
sustainable solutions and the need to tackle a host of related  problems, such as
the use of faulty or non-standard equipment, the need to  assist each other in
dealing with unauthorized or illegal use of frequencies,  handling the effects
of spillover signals from neighbouring jurisdictions, using  appropriate
levels of power and pooling of resources and finding the optimum  location for
antennae against the back ground of increasing environment and  health and safety
concerns”, she said.
She reiterated that spectrum is a  national resource whose efficient
management at national level and harmonization  at the international level are
required if they take optimum advantage of its  potential so as to facilitate and
enhance communication and development. She  informed the gathering that, the
Gambia has started drawing up a National  Spectrum plan based on the ITU’s
regional location. She said the coordination of  spectrum management is a shared
responsibility between the regulator and the  policy maker. SoS Gaye urged the
participants to look at the plethora of ongoing  work and issues such as WRC
recommendations, The International Technology  Agreement (ITA) with its commitment
to remove tariffs on equipment imports Basic  Agreement on Telecommunications
(BAT) and APEC’s Mutual Recognition Agreement  (MRA) for mutual equipment
type approval procedures. She concluded by  challenging participants to make
effective use of this forum towards the  achievements of these note objectives.

In GNTU  Forgery Trial
Accused Cross Examined
By Modou Jonga
The  forgery trial  involving the former first vice president of The Gambia
National Transport Union  (GNTU), Mr. Abdoulie Sosseh and the state, proceeded
on Tuesday 9 October, 2007  with the cross examination of the accused by
prosecutor ASP Camara.
While  being cross examined before Magistrate Njie, Mr. Sosseh reiterated
that he is  the wrong person to be charged with the  preferred charge and that
the  executive committee should have been charged with forgery. He noted that he
was  part of the executive committee. Mr. Sosseh told the court, that the
official  address of the Union was at ECOWAS Avenue in Banjul and that its
membership  cards bear the signatures of the Union’s President and General
Secretary.
The accused agreed with the prosecution, that exhibit B bears his signature
but that the official address on it is not his. Mr. Sosseh stated that the
executive committee  decided to change the Union’s membership cards in  order to
tap funds.
The accused told the court that the signatures of the  union President and
General Secretary were removed on the Union membership cards  because the duo
were absent at numerous meetings despite attempts to have them  present at a
time when the Union was moving towards organizing a  congress.
The accused agreed with the prosecution that any functional Union  should
have minutes of their meetings kept. He noted that all the minutes of the
meetings that resulted in the change of the letter head and membership cards  were
taken. He noted that the said minutes were filed and put under the
responsibility of one Assan Bojang. Mr. Sosseh agreed with the prosecution that  the said
changes were meant to enhance accountability of the sales of the  membership
cards. The accused stated that four branches of the Transport Union  and a
group of workers who registered with the Union were supplied with new  membership
cards and that he has record of the branches that were supplied with  the
membership cards and the money generated from its sale.

Trial  of Suspected Senegalese Dissidents Deferred
By Abdou Jeli Keita
The trial  of the eight suspected Senegalese dissidents, did not proceed due
to the absence  of the trial Magistrate B.Y Camara of the Banjul Magistrates
Court. Principal  Magistrate  B.Y Camara’s absence was due to the fact that he
was  bereaved.
The eight accused persons, Sidat Jobe, Ebrima Vieux’ Colley, Nuha  Jammeh,
Lamin Teww Sambou, Tamsir Badjie, Joseph Jatta, Ansumana Jarju and Abdou  Salam
Jammeh are arraigned in court on four counts of criminal charges, namely;
conspiracy to commit felony, spying, receiving stolen properties and unlawfully
possessing Gambian National Identity Card.
When all the eight accused persons  were arraigned, they all pleaded not
guilty to the charges on counts one, two  and three, but on count four, all but
the third accused (Nuha Jammeh) pleaded  guilty.

Outgoing Tallinding UBS Students Express Frustration
By  Musa Barrow & Madiba Singhateh
Students who sat for The Gambia Basic  Examination Certificate (GABEC) at
Tallinding Upper Basic School have expressed  their frustration  over the
withholding of their results by the West  African Examination Council (WAEC). Talking
to these reporters, the outgoing  Grade nine (9) students of the aforesaid
school who are also the school’s second  batch of students revealed their utter
shock over what they described as ‘an  unfortunate development.’
Speaking to this paper, one Lamin Tunkara, who is  one of those students
caught in this limbo, said he was completely devastated  when he heard the news
that his school’s results are being withheld. He also  explained that he and his
colleagues are in a dilemma since they can neither  stay at Tallinding Upper
Basic School nor progress to any senior secondary  school.  Tunkara told these
reporters that he has been continuously going  to Tallinding Upper Basic
School for two consecutive weeks with the expectation  that they would hear
something about their fate, but this is always greeted with  disappointment and
frustration and that nothing is being said or done about  their plight. He
lamented that this seemingly endless ordeal put him and his  batchmates under immense
pressure, something which he described as unfair  because they did nothing
wrong. However, he gave several alternatives which he  believes can get them out
of this ordeal. He first suggested that since the  subject under
investigation is science, let the West African Examination Council  cancel their science
grades and released their results on the other subjects.  Tunkara further
suggested that if his first alternative is not workable, let him  and his
colleagues be given the chance to re-write their papers.
John Gomez,  also a student said the sheer frustration he and his colleagues
found themselves  in is quite upsetting and needs to be addressed.
It could be recall that the  West African Examinations Council issued a press
release, a fortnight ago,  announcing the withholding of the results of
Tallinding Upper Basic Grade  nine (9), the release stated that WAEC was
investigation an alleged examination  malpractice linked to Tallinding Upper Basic
School.
Furthermore, when, this  reporter contacted West African Examination Council
(WAEC) for their comment on  the plight of these outgoing students of
Tallinding Upper Basic School, he was  told by one Sherrif Touray that WAEC is not in
a position to say anything about  the matter. Mr. Touray instead directed this
reporter to speak to the Principal  of Tallinding Upper Basic School.
When the principal of Tallinding Upper  Basic School Mrs. Fatoumata Ceesay
was approached by this paper she declined to  comment and instead referred this
reporter to the Permanent Secretary Department  of State for Basic Secondary
Education.

Sainey Nyassi Scores in  Revs Reserves
By Modou Nyang
Under – 20 starlet Sainey Nyassi scored for  the New England Revolution
reserve team increasing his tally to two in the MLS  reserves league division.
Sainey scored to put the Revs back on terms after  trailing Chicago Fires
when John Thorrington scored in first half to put the  ahead. Collecting a
through ball from Andy Dorman, Nyassi worked the defenders  around with his
trademark runs and beating the Fire’s substitute keeper Nick  Noble to the far post.
This is Sainey’s second goal for club New England  Revolution in the reserve
division. He and fellow countryman and teammate  Abdoulie Mansally earlier
scored in a 4-0 hammering of New York Red Bulls  reserves on 24th of September.
The Gambian duo scored in the 80th and 90th  minutes to hand Revolution a
convincing win. Sainey headed in Wells Thompson  cross and Mansally fired from
outside of the penalty area when Nyassi’s cross  got tangled in defence.
The young youth internationals have already won gold  in their first season
in the MLS league. New England Revolution defeated FC  Dallas 3-2 in the US
Open Cup to lift their first ever trophy. And their stock  is on the rise as they
continue to feature regularly on the substitute bench and  sometimes are
given the nod to showoff their skills.
New England Revolution  are second on the Eastern Conference league table
collecting 49 points with only  two matches remaining. They host Columbus Crew
tomorrow at the Gillette Stadium  before traveling to Toronto FC for their last
match.