GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
momodou ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 16:13:25 -0700
Fellow Gambians:

Below is a letter we sent to Various United States
officials and Newspapers in the Gambia.

3629 Buford Highway
Apartment G-10
Atlanta, Georgia 30329

UNITED DEMOCRATIC PARTY- ATLANTA BASE.

June 21, 2000

William J. Clinton
The President of the United States
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
Washington DC 20500-0001

Dear Sir:

This is a request for an urgent action in the Gambia
with respect to the leader of the United Democratic
Party (UDP) and 80 supporters currently in detention
at an unknown location in The Gambia.  Mr. Darboe and
his supporters were ambushed by President Jammeh’s
APRC provocateurs during a tour of the provinces.
Many injuries occurred on both sides including the
death of one person.
We are fearful for the safety of Mr. Darboe and his
supporters detained incommunicado by the Jammeh regime
at unknown location(s).
Quite conceivably, things are rapidly spiraling out of
control. If you recall in April of this year, the
government shot and killed innocent high school
children for engaging in peaceful demonstration in
protest of the brutal torture and consequent death of
their colleague, Ebrima Barry by the Brikama Firemen
and the rape of a 13 year old girl, Binta Manneh by a
uniformed officer.
In the face of the increasing popularity of the
opposition, we feel that the UDP is the target of a
government crackdown.  We are appealing for the
strongest denouncement of human rights violations in
the Gambia. Once again, allow us to raise our concern
that the tyrannical regime in Banjul is provoking the
Gambian people into a dangerous response.  We hope no
rivers of blood will flow in the Gambia as they have
in others parts of Africa. However, it will not be for
lack of trying by the Jammeh regime.
We hope that you will demand of The Gambian government
the safety and immediate release of Mr. Darboe and his
supporters.
Respectfully,

Momodou K. Ceesay
Secretary