GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
omar joof <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 May 2005 12:49:28 +0000
Latjor,
I do not find your critique annoying at all. If anything, I find them useful
in that they enabled me to pick up some of the weaknesses in my write-up.
I agree with you that undue emphasis on academia in Development planning
often leads to a disconnect with the realities on the ground. But societies
have their creative capacities spread over all sectors and effectively
harnessing these( without distinction or discrimination), and directing
their cumulative energy into productive activities, would be a meaningful
way of building the foundation for development. This has often proven
unrealistic and unattainable so that only a select few determinds the path
to be followed.
With regard who is "educated", the conventional notion is of a person who
has gone through a formal institution of learning. But this may be
misleading, as some persons have come out of our formal institutions of
learning without ever showing the characteristics of a "sharpened
intellect", while someone who has not benefitted from these institutions,
but had mainly attained nuture through interactions with the natural
environment out there in some village, shows such characteristics. Thus the
reason I put educated in paranthesis.
I thank you for your interesting contribution.
Omar Joof.

>From: africa fest <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: [>-<] WHY GAMBIA IS STILL NOT DEVELOPED?