GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamjatta Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 00:46:08 EDT
Good Morning,
    Going over news items this morning, it occurred to me that Roots
Homecoming Festival is virtually here upon us and judging by the
dictatorship's relentless propaganda machine, it is something they are
planning to garner support to a dissolving centre that has become the APRC;
credibility and cash donation from the Diaspora. In the wake of the student
massacre, we mustn't sit idly by whilst this evil regime get away with
conducting a successful Roots Homecoming Festival right in front of our noses
when something can be done about it.
    Someone had first raised the issue here [Solomon Njai, I presume?] but it
was not seriously followed up. I think this is another Achilles heel of the
dictatorship. We must start lobbying in both the States and the UK where most
of those who attend this propaganda event come from. The dictatorship must
not be given the delight of scuppering another publicity stunt in trying to
look credible.
    We must start campaigning/lobbying forthwith that the cash accrued from
going to such a publicity stunt would invariably land in the private bank
accounts of child murderers and unwittingly lending credibility to a rag tag
fraternity of hoodlums who have held a peaceful place like the Gambia
hostage. Knowing the British for their hard-line stance on those who abuse
children, it will sell down here to project the dictatorship as a ruthless
machine that doesn't give a tosh when it comes to protecting the rights of
school children. And attending this "festival" is to unwittingly condone the
killings of April 10th and 11th. I'm sure the States is no different.
    What do you guys make of it? Or is this just me being too optimistic
about the potentialities of this cyberspace forum?
Have a great start to your week.
Hamjatta Kanteh

PS: Essa Bokarr Sey and Edi Sidibeh, with your kind permissions, I'm planning
on using some of your stuff on my web page which a friend is helping me with.
Thanks in advance for your help and generosity. Zizy thanks for your efforts.
I owe you big time.

hkanteh