GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamjatta Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jun 2000 07:45:58 EDT
Again from that "illusionising" but equally "intellegent" Ziz. Keep it coming
mate you are getting better each time. You are making Comedy Edi look like a
cheakskate incompetent.
chaw chaw hamji
Lawyers protest over Commission's mandate, terms of reference
> The Independent (Banjul)
> June 2, 2000
>

> Banjul - The Coalition of Lawyers Defending The Rights of The Children, who
assisted those detained in the wake of the April 10 student riots has sent a
letter of protest over the terms of reference and mandate of the Commission
of Enquiry into the events of April 10th and 11th.

> The decision to issue this letter of protest was taken at a meeting of the
coalition last Monday. Below is the full text of the letter of protest,
addressed to the President and copied to the Attorney General and Secretary
of State for Justice and the Gambian press.

> 'It is with great concern that we are writing to you expressing our
dissatisfaction with the mandate and the terms of reference of the newly set
up Commission of Enquiry to look into the events of the 10th and 11th April
2000.

> It is our opinion that the mandate and terms of reference as spelt out is
too narrow, unduly restrictive and that it does not address the important
issue of the cause(s) of the injuries and the deaths on the 10th and 11th
April 2000 and the ultimate prosecution of those responsible for the injuries
and deaths.

> Although it is important to assess the extent of material loss and to
determine the extent in which individuals and or groups of individuals may
have contributed to the breakdown of law and order in order to forestall such
events from happening again, it is equally important to bring to book those
responsible for the shootings. This will certainly be in line with your
promise to the nation that 'no stone would be left unturned' in determining
what transpired on the 10th and 11th April 2000.

> It is indeed very important in the interest of justice and the image of our
beloved country that justice is not only seen to be done but also that it
must be done.