GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
tony cisse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 00:53:18 GMT
Jaajef all on G-l,

Following from Halifa's posting and the discussion of subregional
inter-government relations and politics, I thought it was useful to post two
differing views from Senegal on the future of Senegal's foreign relations in
the light of the Mauritania crisis (where Senegalese nationals are being
expelled)and the Casamance war. I am sending these two postings (which came
from the discussion list hosted by the And Jef party website
www.ajpads.org/) without comment. The question not neccessarily whether on
agrees with one or the other, rather that they represent two strands of
opinion, both touching on important and relevant issues. Obviously whatever
direction Senegal takes will have an impact on events in Gambia, and in that
light I am posting them on the L. The transalations are my own, and I take
full responsibility for any mistakes (those wishing to read them in french
or follow the debate should visit the website (forum des immigres).

PART 1
The first contribution is from a contributor named Mor Fall Dieng

Yeenduleen ak jaama'

Tony

In the name of peace! In the name of peace

Posted by: Mor Fall Dieng on June 09, 2000 at 14:42:24:

It seems to me, it is necessary, at this time of crisis in the North and
South, to break with a tradition that consists of wanting to please
everyone. Such a grand gesture policy is maintained generally to the
detriment of Senegal. The Mauritanian reaction, partly motivated by the
conservation of gains made atthe expense by the defunct regime, leave a
bitter aftertaste.

This politic of “peace at all costs” has cost us 40 years of suffering for
the majority of people who have been terrified by waving the spectre of the
consequences of a so-called “horrific” change of context. At an
international level, non-interference and/or respect for the sovereignty of
others, has become a pretext to mask the complicity that exists in the
on-going segregation, genocide and ethnic cleansing that is unfolding. A bad
interpretation of this principal has allowed co-habitation with regimes
calling themselves democratic but lead by the worst of despots.

It was said that the "alternance" (the change following the Senegalese
election) should be a rupture with all the bad things of the past. But this
“filtered” or “wooden tongued” diplomacy,  that sacrifices the interests of
the local populations, should be one of the things banished from our
relationships with
other countries. I believe that today citizens should resolve their internal
difficulties and rally around
the President. They need to give total support on the specific questions of
Mauritania and Casamance., in the face of the “encirclement “ of Senegal by
hostile neighbouring countries.

In is not being an anti-panafricanist to love ones country and to ensure
that its citizens and institutions are respected. It is not being a “gung ho
militarist” to speak ones mind to a neighbour whose dishonest declarations
hide the distain and dislike of all that is not "Arab". And anyway the
supporters of "peace at all costs" have not yet been able to demonstrate
that a war would not cause less devastation than this "peace" has already
caused amongst civilian populations in Casamance and during the events of
1989.

*The Casamance problem was supposed to have been "sorted out" in corridors,
during endless missions, and secret consultations. Tons and tons of
resolutions have been drafted, scores of agreements signed. Whilst our
diplomats have been busy shaking hands and lifting glasses, hundreds and
thousands of farmers are killed and maimed by mines planted by one of the
parties seated round
the negotiating table. It’s like a procession of dupes where the Senegalese
people is the fool.

*The problem of the Senegal River valley and the management of inter-state
Infrastructures is as much about the problem of the very usefulness of these
  Infrastructures,  as much as how useful the projects will be on their
completion. These are not new questions, the solutions should be resolvable
within the framework of "technical" commissions. It is the same as with the
questions around the fossilised valleys and their impact on the management
and exploitation of the river. Nothing in these issues justify the scenario
of the wolf and the goat, where we are supposed to be the goat. The ethnic
question that exists in Mauritania is no longer an "internal" issue, as
Senegal hosts the refugees from that country. This is not without precedent,
witness Guinea Bissau which hosts and even aids the MFDC rebels.

The Senegalese government must make a decision on these matters. A decision
based on its own legitimate interests and philosophy, not those of the
governments of Mauritania and Guinee Bissau.

If the decisions of the Senegalese government don't please Mauritania, so be
it. Lets be serious, this government was not given the mandate to please
Ould Taya, Yaya Jammeh or Dr.Coumba Yalla. Our role as citizens is to judge
whether the positions and  decisions taken by our government are consistent
with our conception of African solidarity and respect for the rights of
refugees. In relation to Casamance, we will judge our government by its
intransigence in bringing about a real and lasting peace. The feelings of
the neighbouring governments cannot be determining factors in our conduct.
No country has the right to tell us what we should do, much less Mauritania.

The method used by President Wade of "shaking the coconut tree" on each of
his state visits could prove to be positive for the future of Senegal and
indeed African Unity, if it means that "masks" are dropped and relationships
are re-built on a new and more honest basis. If this ”stirring of the pot”
leads to a reconsideration of all of Senegal’s international relations
(especially in the sub region), then I say we must support the President in
this crusade. All vigilant citizens must recognise that since the arrival of
"l'alternance" (triumph of the opposition alliance) our neighbours have
started to "raise their voices" on issues regarding Senegal’s security
and/or development. If for reasons of geography, history or fact, these
countries feel touched by these national issues, well then, the problem is
now in the open. The problems must now  be solved in a fast and responsible
way.

Libya, Guinee Bissau and Gambia must answer unequivocally the questions put
to them about their participation, if not to say complicity in the bloody
war in Casamance. It is not by hiding behind diplomatic niceties and by
making  small movements of policy that these countries will prove their
innocence.

If  Mauritania has a justified grievance, then they should bring it before
those institutions and authorities responsible for the management of the
river. But if it comes to ethnic problems, or the ethnicist orientation of
the Mauritanian government then Mauritania should expect the return of the
of the FLAM (Mauritania Liberation Army, lead by Black Mauritanians).
Mauritania cannot expect Senegal to share its  ethnicist objectives, nor to
continue to police the refugees, without a response.

Now the issue  is one of national solidarity. Solidarity with the
institutions we have won,  whatever our political differences, or the
political advantages each one might think they can gain from the situation.
.
It is necessary to react firmly against what looks more and more like a
regional plot to undermine the new Senegalese government. Is it not true
that certain countries, or maybe certain interest groups have not forgiven
Senegal for having opened the way to an irreversible change. Are not
internal forces not using an international channel of shady relationships to
destabilise Senegal? Guinee Bissau, Gambia and now Mauritania!!! Why not
tomorrow Guinea Conakry just to buckle the belt?
It is for each citizen to reflect...

Without being a militarist, I support the government to:

- Speak a language of truth to all the leaders in the sub-region. Our quest
for a true African unity and a strong Africa will never be achieved  without
ruffling feathers in the process.

- Avoid being weakened in front of other governments who are looking after
their own interests.

- Clearly support peace, but to stand  firm in our principles, showing in an
unequivocal manner that peaceful co-habitation is built on respect.

It is now for every citizen to support the government in the national
interest.

Mor Fall Dieng