GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2007 13:10:36 EDT

Succinct and illuminating. Thanx for sharing Jabou. It probably ought to be
translated for the Imams in their local languages or Arabic for it to make any
 sense to them. Thanx again.

Haroun Masoud. MQDT Darbo. Al Khairawan.

In a message dated 10/17/2007 5:01:57 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

A  wonderful
letter to the Editor from the pages of The Gambia  Echo.

enjoy

The Gambia  Echo

Wednesday, Oct. 17, 2007

Who's  Islam's Enemy -President Yahya Jammeh or  The
West?

Dear
Editor:

am in distress  about how our country is being destroyed by our own selves
through  connivance, silence and other forms of collaboration, actively  or
passively. For me, Yahya Jammeh is not the issue. It is how the common
Gambian
man and woman have contributed and continue to contribute to the  building of
monster and a system that will eventually consume all of us  for
virtually nothing. The educated and elites, the religious and  elderly, the
respected and honoured, the youth and women and even the  children have
decided
to either dance with Yahya or keep so silent as to  allow him to ride
roughshod
over our lives and country with so much  destruction. The mere fact that
individuals accept his appointments only  for him to dump, jail and castigate
them later is all indicative of our own  contribution to the creation of a
monster and his system. No doubt we are  all paying a dear price for something
that never should have been in the  first place.

Well,
for my part I will fight as much as I  can by speaking against as loud as I
can;
by not cooperating; by writing to  expose…; but surely I will not speak in
support neither will I act or  participate in favour of Yahya Jammeh. I
will refuse the post of Vice  President today if he were to appoint me. I will
consider it an insult and  unpatriotic to work with Yahya Jammeh at such
decision making  level.

So
find attached my thoughts on the  recent visit by religious leaders to  State
House.

Keep
up the good  job.

Who is the Enemy of Islam: President Jammeh or  the
West?

It
was yet another meeting between the  President and religious leaders on the
occasion
of Id’ul-Fitr, a  traditional ceremony which has lasted for decades. Common
sense would  dictate that such a forum would be an occasion for the religious
leaders to  play the role of preacher and teacher of the Scriptures based on
what the  Quran demands of leadership. The religious leaders are also expected
to  reflect the conscience of the nation and thus speak in the name and
interest
of all citizens. This means to request, demand, inquire or correct  all
concerns
of the people where necessary to ensure that the welfare and  good of all
citizens are promoted and protected. The occasion by all  standards is unique
and a golden opportunity for the religious leaders to  speak to the President
in
a way that not even his advisors can, because  religious leaders are supposed
speak the word of Allah. The Quran and  the traditions of the Holy Prophet are
their weapons. This gives them  unlimited immunity and protection to speak to
the President in many  respects – as a citizen; as a human being, as a Muslim
and as the President  of the Republic. In a nutshell, the meeting between the
President and the  religious leaders is one of the most important national
events which can  serve as a healing point for the nation and the
consolidation
of national  cohesion, peace and national unity.

Going by what transpired  between the Head of State and the
religious leaders, it is obvious that the  point has been missed by both
sides,
more so on the part of the President.  In the first place, and disappointingly
enough, the religious leaders spoke  more as emissaries and stalwarts of the
government and the President, than  as Muslims leaders and custodians of the
Islamic Faith. Instead of  addressing national concerns as demanded by Islam,
they engaged in secular  propaganda on issues that they either do not
understand
or decided to  totally ignore. For example, the issue of the appreciation of
the
dalasi  and prices of commodities is beyond the purview of these leaders at
this
point. The science or lack of it that is responsibility for the rising  dalasi
is yet to be understood by even economists and businessmen as the  currency is
appreciating without any basis on the economic reality of the  country. How
can
the dalasi appreciate when there is no corresponding rise  in exports or
reduction in imports-there has not  been any  significance increase in
production of manufactured goods; there has not  been any production of
petroleum or other minerals, neither has there been  any increased inflow of
foreign direct investment? Because of the absence  of the above factors,
consequently there has not been any reduction of  prices, but instead foreign
exchange bureaux and banks have now ceased  operations in that trade because
it
is unfavorable. Business people  procured their goods at a certain price
before
the appreciation of the  Dalasi and so they cannot just abruptly reduce prices
because our currency  is seen to be gaining strength. How about the Government
first reducing  taxes, or fuel prices or utility costs among others before
urging the  private sector to reduce prices regardless?

What all of  these factors indicate is that there is
manipulation of the currency by the  Government somewhere. This is basically
the
reason why the religious  leaders should not have ventured into this area to
the
point of giving  credit to the Government for the appreciation of the dalasi,
phenomenon  so complex that is yet to be comprehended. The general issues
about
morality which they have touched on are a given which have to be  raised in
any
forum in which such leaders partake. Religious leaders should  always admonish
believers to provide good parentage; that decency should  couch all ways of
talking, dressing, how we relate to each other and our  general way of life.
That is a must!

But the  occasion about which we are talking here is such
that such issues of  morality and decency, much as they are necessary and
important, should come  secondary to major national issues which appear to
threaten the very  fabric, peace and security of the nation. Essentially, I am
referring to  the political and governance environment because ultimately all
other  aspects of national life are contingent on the prevailing political
culture  and environment. Any decent society- meaning democratic, accountable
and  transparent political system which is inclusive and respects the rule  of
law and human rights is not only bound to be economically viable, but  also
socially stable as well as morally and politically secure. This is why  the
crux
of the discourse by the religious leaders should be to address the  soul of
the
nation which lies in the politics of the  country.

There is no doubt that the Gambian political  environment
remains precarious-our governance system is poor; but more than  that, it is
also dangerous and the biggest thereat to our peace, security  and cohesion
as a
nation. The person at the helm of the political system  and from who most is
required to ensure the decency of our polity is the  President. He is the Head
of State and Government which according to our  Constitution derives
legitimacy
from the will of the people and in whose  interest and welfare, all organs of
Government exercise their functions.  Thus the single most responsible person
(supposedly) for the governance and  political culture of this country is the
President. This to me is where the  religious leaders should have taken off
their discourse. But as observed  earlier, they deviated.

While the list of incidents  that mar our political and
governance landscape are uncountable some of the  more trouble remains  thus:

1.        Currently
The Gambia
has dozens of her sons and daughters detained for  long periods without charge
while in most cases their families do not even  know where these detainees are
kept, much less to see them.

2.        People
continue to be dismissed from their jobs at all times without any  basis on
law
and no legitimate reasons provided.

3.        Journalists
and media organizations continue to be harassed and branded as  “illegitimate
sons”, while the killing of Deyda Hydara and Omar Barrow  remain unresolved.

4.       The  same
applies to the shooting of lawyer Ousman Sillah.

5.       In  2000
several school children where shot dead by our own security personnel  only
for
the Government to grant them amnesty.

6.        The
administration of the public sector continues to be according to the  whims
and
caprices of the President even where national interest is  jeopardized such as
the case of the sale of Gamtel and Gamcel. Much needed  public enterprises are
either being destroyed such as GPTC or are being  undermined to such a great
length
that they have not become viable anymore.

7.       Fear  and
frustration has come to characterize majority of the people.

8.       On top
of  all of this, and as a consequence of the bad governance and  indecent
political culture in the country, poverty continues to rise  thereby giving
way
to immoral social behaviors especially among our  youth.

Given their failure to address the above our  religious
leaders therefore, dropped into irrelevance and even becoming  accomplices in
the national mismanagement by the President and his  Government.

Yes, Alhaji Banding Drammeh made an appeal  about illegal
detainees, but this was not enough. It must be clear to the  Imam that those
detentions are illegal, illegitimate and un-Islamic. It is  not for us to beg
or
appeal to the President to pardon them because he has  no right, authority or
power whatsoever to detain any Gambia.
Only the  Police can do that for a limited time, or the courts according to
law.
The  President must be told in the face that his actions are ungodly, and
that
no one owes him any allegiance or respect of any sort to appeal to him  to do
the right thing. If he cannot do the right thing then he should be  asked out.
There are many more Gambians willing to do the right  thing.

As for President Jammeh, he terribly missed the  point.
Instead, he immediately assumed the role of the religious leaders by
attempting
to preach the most irrelevant and inconsequential issues. For  once, someone
needs to remind the President that he is not the  representative of Muslims or
Islam more so of the people of the  Middle
East. The President is not the
spokesman for Hamas or Hezbollah.  The President or The Gambia is not at war
with the West which ironically  still gives more help to his government and
the
country than any other  country and region. The President depends on Western
institutions more than  any other in the world and we all know that. So all
his
tirades about and  against the West and how Islam is being treated is not only
irrelevant but  also grossly hypocritical. For example, while the President
rightly noted  that Muslims kill each other more than anyone else, he either
fails to  notice or ignores the fact that his own Government has presided over
the  killing of numerous Muslims as in the case of November 11 alleged
coupists,
the late Sadibou Hydara, 14 students in 2000, the late Deyda  Hydara and Omar
Barrow, several soldiers such as Almamo Manneh, Corporal  Dumbuya, Finance
Minister Ousman Koro Ceesay and many others that Gambians  are yet to know.
His
government has presided over the torture and detention  without trial for long
periods of uncountable Muslims and Christians in  this country. What now is
the
difference between the President and those  other Muslims killing fellow
Muslims
in other parts of the world? It is  highly sacrilegious for the President to
accord himself Islamic credentials  while his every action is anti-Islamic!
Our
President is definitely an  Enemy of Islam and Muslims!!

If President Jammeh’s  allegation that “The West and the
rest of the world are destroying Islam”  then, it is obviously because of such
enemies of the Faith as the President  of the Republic of The Gambia who
continue to facilitate the weakening of  Islam and Muslims through sheer
exploitation and oppression of the Ummah.  Has our President forgotten that
his
Government is one of the few in the  world that has entered into a bilateral
agreement with the United States  Government on the issue of the International
Criminal Court (ICC) so that  The Gambia will not take or participate in
anyway
in the prosecution of any  American soldier for human rights abuses before the
Court? Even when our  President knows that American forces are at war against
Hamas, Hezbollah  and in Iraq and against his own brother President
Ahmedinejad’s country  (the Islamic Republic of Iran), he still went ahead to
protect American  soldiers who continue to kill Muslims in Muslim lands? Does
this action of  the President not make him a first degree accomplice and an
abominable tool  of the West to destroy Islam and the Ummah? What an infidel
our
President  is?!!!

In conclusion, let our President be a man of  modesty, truth
and justice according to the teachings of Islamic. He may  try to fool some
people sometimes, but certainly not all the people at all  times. He is
exposed
without realizing it. He has demonstrated that he has  no conscience and sense
of patriotism for The Gambia; neither does he love  Allah and His Holy Prophet
and the Ummah! He is an Infidel par excellence.  An Enemy of Islam!

The meeting between the religious  leaders and the President
is a laudable occasion which all countries should  emulate The Gambia for. It
is
an occasion that should help in improving our  democracy, justice, the rule of
law and respect for human rights if rightly  conducted. It should serve as a
moment of reflection, rededication,  rectification and consolidation of
national
unity. Religious leaders are  not elected nor on anyone’s payroll and
therefore,
bear no allegiance to  any one individual or institution, except Allah and His
Holy Prophet of  Islam. Their Constituency is the Ummah and on whose behalf
and
interest  they should speak and act at all times in all circumstances. They
should  speak the language of justice and truth. They are on a crusade; a
jihad
and  for which case they must be prepared to even go to Mile II  Prisons-the
dictator’s jail, in speaking truth to power. It is sad to say  that our
religious leaders have failed Allah and His Holy Prophet and the  Ummah. They
have betrayed Islam and surely the Ummah which is under intense  exploitation
and oppression in The Gambia.

We will  never forgive the Imam Ratib Cherno Kah, the
President of the Supreme Islam  Council Alhaji Banding Drammeh and the Emir of
the Ahmadiyya Jamaat Baba  Trawally and the rest of the Imams present at the
occasion for failing to  speak about the soul of the nation. We will not
forgive
them. Allah and the  Holly Prophet (Peace be upon his name) are for  us!

A Gambian  Muslim,

Office of The President, State  House,

Banjul

Web interface
at:  http://listserv.icors.org/archives/gambia-l.html

To Search in the  Gambia-L archives, go to:
http://listserv.icors.org/SCRIPTS/WA-ICORS.EXE?S1=gambia-l
To contact the  List Management, please send an e-mail  to: