GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 May 2005 19:31:14 -0300
Gambia win African U-17 title
By Mohamed Fajah Barrie
BBC Sport, Banjul

Ghana went into Sunday's final of the African Under-17 Championship hoping to
win their third title in the competition but left the stadium spitting feathers
after a controversial goal gave the Gambia a 1-0 victory.

Ousmane Jallow scored three minutes from time to give Gambian football its
first taste of success at international level as the curtain came down on a
truly memorable tournament for the hosts.

Jallow's 87th minute strike triggered howls of protest from Ghanaian players,
who claimed their goalkeeper had been confused by a fan who was then on the
pitch.

But the referee Paul Phomame from Lesotho stood his ground and allowed the goal
to stand.

Ironically, the man who plotted Ghana's downfall - Fred Osam Duodo - is himself
a Ghanaian national.

Duodo told BBC Sport after the match that he was delighted to have written a
little piece of history for himself.

He beamed: "It's a wonderful moment for me to make history in the Gambia and
I'm very proud of that."

But his opposite number, David Duncan, was livid after the final whistle.

"We were cheated because the Gambian goal was not a real goal.

"The Gambian fan who threw another ball onto the pitch confused our
goalkeeper."

Duncan went on: "It's not good for African football and I think we will prove
at the World Championship in Peru that we're the best."

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/football/africa/4571381.stm

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい