GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 15:54:11 +0100
M.L. Jassey-Conteh,

I have read your posting. Can you narrate for me the facts you have gathered
so far regarding the incident between Gambisara, Numuyel and Chamoi bridge
during the last tour of the UDP? May be I would then be able to know your
frame of mind.

We have always condemned and opposed any attack and intimidation of any
member of the UDP leadership. We would, in fact, recall the famous Shyngle
Nyassi case which brought the opposition parties together to combat
thuggery. I believe our position on the Gambian students is already clear,
if you have been a subscriber of the L for sometime now. If you want copies
of the positions we had taken on this matter, you may demand them.

I do not understand how an opposition party can be neutral and still oppose
a government. Every aspect of our policies is fundamentally different from
that of the APRC. We have just posted developments regarding the Wuli Fund
to show how PDOIS is opposed to the parasitic bureaucracy which had existed
since the time of the PPP and now attaining its zenith under the APRC.

You talked about intellectual showmanship. We clearly do not consider
ourselves as actors/actresses on a stage. We are simply rendering service to
our nation and people the best way we know how. You want leadership. There
are many parties in the country which are offering that. If our style is not
ideal for you, you may try others. This is the democratic spirit. What would
not be fair is to castigate me for not behaving like you want your own style
of leaders to behave.

What I have come to gather is that some people do not support PDOIS to take
over this country. They would simply want PDOIS to be a reserve of the APRC
or the UDP. If we speak a language which favours one or the other, then they
clap for us and flatter us. We hope you people will start giving us the
respect that you claim you have for us. PDOIS is not a reserve for the UDP
or the APRC. It is a party in its own right, with its principles, policies
and method of conducting its politics. Once anyone recognises this and gives
us the due respect we deserve, one may then proceed, even if one does not
agree with our style of politics, to make suggestions on how to collaborate
with others to make The Gambia a better place. We are open to any suggestion
and would consider any mature proposal that will accord with the interest
and aspirations of the Gambian people as we see it.

Once I get you analysis of what happened between Gambisara, Numuyel and
Chamoi during the UDP tour, I will be able to explain very clearly why we
are taking the posture we are taking with regard to this particular
incident.

Greetings.

Halifa Sallah.