GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2007 13:43:37 EST
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue
Issue No. 011/2007, 29-30 January,  2006

Editorial

THE FUTURE OF PARLIAMENTARY DEMOCRACY IN THE GAMBIA

The Western Division, the KMC and Banjul have over 48% of the voting
population. All but one of the seats which is now occupied by an Independent
Candidate in this area went to the APRC. The 2007 Parliamentary elections is
considered to be a decisive one. In a multiparty system one envisages a balance  of
power in parliament so that the approval of bills, international agreements
and budgets are negotiated. This is very clear in the US where the Democrats now
 have the majority in Congress. Such balance of power enables a government to
 benefit from criticism and scrutiny. It is such legitimate criticism and
effective scrutiny that helps to restrain a government and bar it from violation
 of laws and general misconduct.
Prior to the elections it was a common view  that the government would be
better checked if the opposition had 27 seats in  the National Assembly which
would have given them an absolute majority since  there are 52 voting members of
the National Assembly. Some analysts felt that  this could be achieved through
a tactical alliance between the various  opposition parties and Independent
Candidates.
One may now ask: How did the  opposition parties perform in the election?
Would a tactical alliance have made  any difference?
What is the way forward for multiparty politics in the  country?
The results reveal that out of 29 contested seats the UDP managed to  win 4
seats. Out of 8 contested seats the NRP emerged without a single seat. Out  of
5 contested seats NADD emerged with 1 seat.
One independent candidate won.  Hence there are now six seats that are not
under the direct control of the  members of parliament elected under an APRC
ticket.
It is evident from the  results that a tactical alliance would have made a
difference. In short, if one  adds the results of the independent candidate and
that of the UDP candidate in  Jokadu it becomes apparent that with a tactical
alliance the Independent  candidate would have won.
The same goes for Kombo South where the Independent  candidate would have won
if the UDP candidate gave him his support.
It goes  without saying that in 10 constituencies the difference between the
APRC  candidate and the opposition combined is less than 500 votes.
It is therefore  logical to assume that tactical alliance between the
opposition parties in  addition to Independent candidates could have enabled them to
win no less than  18 seats.
What is the way forward? Five years lie ahead. All parties have  displayed
their tactics. Some have emerged without seats and others with few  seats.
It is now left to the electorate to decide. Whether they will vote on  party
lines during National Assembly elections or on the basis of the merit of  the
candidates. If the people fail to take ownership of their minds and cast
their votes based on merit, mediocrity will be the order of the day in our
parliament and good governance shall be the casualty. The voter apathy which is
generally caused by people selling their voters’ cards or giving priority to
things other than merit voting will always lead to undesirable results and
regrets. The fundamental lesson needs to be learnt that a sovereign person’s  power
is his or her voter’s card. Any person who refrains from voting or votes
because of inducement is a virtual slave. Such people cannot take charge of
their destiny. The way forward for a multiparty system is to create a sovereign
Gambian who votes on the basis of the dictate of conscience and the national
interest. Anything that falls short of this is disaster.

STATEMENT  BY HALIFA SALLAH
WE OWE OUR CHILDREN A BETTER
QUALITY OF LIFE THAN WE  INHERITED
The 2007 National Assembly election is now history. NADD put up 5  candidates
and developed tactical alliance with many Independent candidates.
Eventually, most of the Independent candidates declined to contest. This
confirms the resilience of some of us in the opposition who refused to bow down
to any inducement over the years. The NADD candidate did remarkably well. In
Wuli East, the NADD candidate got 2,691 votes while the NADD candidate for
Sandu  got 2,749 votes.
The Independent candidates that developed a tactical  alliance with NADD
almost won in Jokadu and Niamina East. This confirms that in  a country where the
balance of power between majority party and the minority  parties are grossly
unequal tactical alliances are means through which the  balance of power can
be maintained.
Now that NADD has only one seat many  people are asking me what the future
holds for NADD and for me as its flag  bearer.
The answer is simple. The future is created by thoughts and actions  that are
in line with the demands of time and circumstances. It does not fall  from
the sky. History is also made by translating visions into missions that can
yield concrete results in enhancing the liberty and prosperity of a  people.
These past days have been a period of reflection for many people I  have had
association with. There are diverse responses to the result of the  election
in Serrekunda Central.
Some in the APRC leadership had wished me  good riddance. According to their
very words the loud mouthed person who has  become a spectre to his government
has been booted out by people who do not want  to hear his voice again “
enough is enough” they said.
In short, to some  people, the tongue of clarity needs to be twisted and the
mouth of the eloquent  zipped. Being deprived of a seat is equaled with being
deprived of the authority  to speak on behalf of the people. On the other
hand; others are still mourning.  They are visiting me by the dozens to express
their regret. “We betrayed the  cause” said one young person. “We gave our
voters cards just to play in a  tournament. You are for us but we betrayed you.”
He concluded.
It is however  necessary for me to assert with all the emphasis I can command
that a nation  does not earn respect because of the reputation of its
individual leader but  because of the collective contribution of its best sons and
daughters.  Irrespective of what some Gambians may think of me I would like to
assure the  Gambian people that what is uppermost in my mind is how to defend
the integrity  of the country in particular and Africa in general in every
international fora.  The truth of the matter is that political parties come and
go. Leaders also come  and go. However, our countries remain. Ghana for example
is more known today  because of the thoughts and deeds of Nkrumah than the
deeds of any other party  or individual leader after him.
It is, therefore, important to assure the  Gambian people that my departure
from the National Assembly will not lead to a  reduction of my statue as a
propagator of the core values which are designed to  make Africa a democratic and
developed continent, and her people a free and  prosperous people. This is the
vision I have of Africa and I have vowed to  devote my entire life in or
outside of the National Assembly, in or outside of  government to the attainment
of such vision.
To those who misunderstand my  statement that if I fail to retain the seat I
will fall back to academia, I  would like to convey the view that the pursuit
of knowledge is not necessarily  isolated from active participation in the
process of emancipating a people from  ignorance, powerlessness and poverty.
History teaches us that the  emancipation of a people has always been
connected with, dependent on and  determined by the powers of knowledge and
organisation. An organised and a  knowledgeable people can never be voiceless, helpless
and poor. They dictate the  agenda of society, instead of being dictated to.
Now that I am not a  National Assembly member, I cannot spend my time
debating on National Assembly  issues or planning for another election. There is need
for me to acknowledge  that other people may emerge who may be better
qualified to perform executive or  legislative functions. It is now Sidia Jatta’s
role to deal with National  Assembly issues. I must move to a wider world in
thought and action. Being a  National Assembly member had extricated me from my
nature. I had to be  combative. Now I can resort to serene intellectual life and
deal with high grade  issues.
In fact, my wish was to serve two terms as National Assembly member  to
complete my contribution at the National level and the Pan African  level.
In the same vein, I was convinced during the presidential election  that a
one five years term as President would have been sufficient for me to  work as
team leader to guide the building of genuine democratic institutions to
promote sustainable, people centred, socio-economic and cultural development.
Now that I have not been given another mandate, I am left with no option but
to devote myself to knowledge production and help NADD to improve its
organizational capacity, evolve into a broad base national party by building
branches and structures throughout the country. At this stage, it is neither
prudent nor progressive to assume that I am a National Assembly member or  President
in the waiting. What is as clear as noon day is that I am a sovereign
Gambian citizen who has no constitutional mandate to represent anyone. My duty  now
is to serve the country and the people in whatever way I can. This includes
the building of my own capacity as a thinker as well as acquiring the records
necessitated by academia to show for it. This cannot be equated with the
notion  of abandoning NADD and the people.
My immediate task is to convene an  executive meeting to review the results
of the election after welcoming Sidia  Jatta. This review will include matters
regarding my role as flag bearer. I am  willing to relinquish the function if
it is to the best interest of NADD and the  country. I will humble myself to
any decision taken by the executive. I will  also not make any unilateral
decision in defiance of the popular will of the  NADD executive in particular and
members in general.
Secondly, we have to  pave the way forward for NADD in Wuli West in
particular and the country at  large.
Thirdly, I have to review the People’s Centre’s mandate, detach the
National Assembly function and transform it into a Centre for Social Science
Research and Civic Awareness.
It will be registered as a consultancy for  knowledge production in all
fields of Social Science. I intend to free myself  from day to day handling of
cases and make referrals to the new National  Assembly member.
I will devote my time to production of literature for  schools in Social
Sciences, I intend to write children stories, novels and hand  books on
parliamentary procedure and other issues of governance and conduct  research in general.
I intend to build a major Pan African library and travel  widely to promote
knowledge of a new vision for Africa, Africans and humanity at  large. I intend
to be more prominent in the national and the world scene than I  have been as
a National Assembly member.
The battle of civilization has been  largely based on the force of ideas and
practice, thoughts and actions. Practice  guided by just ideas breeds a just
society. Over the years I have proven that I  am not driven by any motive but
to serve the Gambian people. I have always been  determined to see to it that I
leave a world that is a better place than the one  I have inherited from my
parents.
I hope, my practice of moving about just  few hours after the results were
declared to talk to people and calm them would  be another proof that, to Halifa
Sallah, holding public office is not a symbol  of status but a position of
service. Hence being in or out of position of  representation only changes the
form of service but not its essence. Hence those  who think that they are
reducing Halifa Sallah to nothing by fighting for him to  lose a National Assembly
seat have only given him the opportunity to do what he  had always wanted to
do but could not do, that is, to caress the minds of  generations yet unborn
with the tender brush of intellectual clarity and thus  contribute his quota to
the building of knowledge based societies on the  continent.
To conclude, I wish to thank all those lovers of truth who  contributed
immensely to a successful campaign. People voted with their hearts  by lining up in
the street to welcome us and by appearing in their multitude,  during our
rallies. Few people predicted that I could lose the seat. Many now  feel that
they should have done more if they knew that this would be the  outcome. I could
feel the sense of loss in the citizenry and I am touched by the  tears being
poured. I want to reiterate once more that the purity of gold is  determined by
its capacity to endure the heat of the fire and the pounding of  the hammer.
Genuine democrats never fear losing seats. On the contrary, the  eventual
merit of every genuine democrat is the ability to humble public office  so that
one does not gain or lose any status by assuming or vacating office.  He/she
whose duty it is to serve sees public office as a position of service not  a
position of privilege.
I want to assure all those who wished me to be their  representative that
Halifa Sallah does not feel any sense of loss of status by  not retaining the
seat. As the old saying goes “He that is down fears no fall.”  I wish to assure
them that even though there will be a change in the form of  service as
dictated by the circumstances, my everlasting commitment to serve the  people is
irrevocable.
To those who ask me to keep hope alive I must say that  only the ignorant and
the opportunist can fail to realise that progress is not  achieved once and
for all. It goes through stages. Sometimes, two steps forward  is followed by
one step backward. This should not retard progress. It should  offer lessons on
how to avoid retrogression.
I would like to ask those young  people who decided to allow their votes to
be suppressed because of a football  tournament whether they are qualified to
complain if things get worse. I would  also like to ask those members of the
opposition who worked day and night for  Halifa Sallah to lose the seat to
explain to the future generation what they had  hoped to gain by such an
eventuality. A day before the National Assembly members  are sworn in I will cease to be
a National Assembly member. Will this lead to my  disappearance from the
public scene? No!
Halifa and NADD can never be  marginalized. Their contributions to liberty
and prosperity have not even  started. It is now that they will become more
visible. The future will tell.  History will record the evidence. The generations
yet unborn will give their  verdict. The ignorant and power hungry will always
be marginalized and  disregarded. The enlightened and selfless sovereign
Gambian will also be counted  and respected.
The future of the Gambia rests in the hands of its conscious,  respectable
and dignified citizenry who can never be bought or intimidated but  sees every
human being on this earth as their equal. This Gambia is emerging.  Sooner or
later the people will indeed take charge to build a society of liberty  and
prosperity.
Hope will be kept alive.
There is no turning  back.

DRAMA MARKS ELECTION EVE IN SK CENTRAL
By Baboucarr  Ceesay
The whole nation was informed that the campaign period for the 2007  National
Assembly Elections would come to an end on 23rd January 2006. The IEC
referred to 24th January as the cooling period.
Called upon to witness the  drama at Bundung Borehole, I saw many Secretaries
of State, APRC Yai Compin or  Chairwomen and supporters. The APRC activists
were on board a black ford, a  white Toyota pickup and three numberless
Mitsubishi pickups from KMC. The most  interesting drama is the arrival of a convoy
of NADD supporters comprising six  vehicles. They moved in and out of the
streets of Bundung Borehole while the  vehicles of the APRC supporters followed
suit. They frequently stopped close to  each other without saying a word to each
other. Once the vehicles of NADD  supporters assembled at the Bundung Borehole
garage a group of women came out  singing and dancing. They started to build
heap of sand and pour liquid on the  ground while they chanted. As they came
close to the NADD transports they lifted  their clothes and bent down to show
their naked buttocks to the drivers.
Tension began to build up when a youngman who went to his home was
confronted by some APRC supporters.
Eventually, the APRC supporters forced  one of the youngmen to accompany
them. This heightened the tension and the NADD  supporters called Halifa Sallah to
intervene.
When I asked the APRC  supporters, they claimed that they were watching the
NADD supporters so that  they would not buy voters’ cards. When I asked the
NADD supporters they also  said that they were watching the APRC supporters so
that they would not buy  voters’ cards and intimidate the voters by their fetish
dancing and  performances.
I spoke to the NADD candidate regarding the situation at the  scene and he
said that showing buttocks is backward practice which undermines  the integrity
of women but cannot affect the outcome of elections. He added that  he had
called Mr. Kawsu Ceesay of the IEC to report the incident so that they  would
send someone on the ground but to no avail. He said he had asked Sam Sarr  to
alert the Police, while he himself went to the ground to contain the  tension.
He said by the time he appeared on the ground, most of the APRC  supporters’
transports had gone away. A plain clothes security officer  approached him to
say that they were in charge and that it was best for him and  his convoy to
was arrested and taken to Bundung Police Station. He has been  released on
bail.
Comment: The IEC should definitely have security personnel  deployed during
the rest period to prevent any canvassing for votes or other  political
activities during the cooling off period. This is the only way to  prevent such
scenes in the future. Without mature political leaders such scenes  can be
capitalized on to fan election violence.

GOV’T DEFIES COURT  ORDER
The Gambia Government is yet to comply with a court order to release  Tamba
Fofana, headmaster of Kudang Lower Basic School, Central River Region.  Tamba
was arrested about a week before the September 22nd 2006 presidential
election. He has been detained at various police stations in the country and at  the
time of going to press he is detained at Fatoto in the extreme Eastern part  of
the country. The spokes person of the police declined to comment, noting that
 he knew nothing about the matter. The Attorney General on the other hand
insists  that FOROYAA writes before he would respond.
No statement has ever been  issued by the government concerning the arrest
and detention of Mr. Fofana.  Reports have it that he has not even been charged.
After waiting from  September to December without any clear information from
security forces on the  fate of Tamba Fofana, his relatives filed an
application for his release at the  High Court on 21st December 2006. The application
was heard by Justice  Ota.
In their application the relatives sought for the following orders on  behalf
of their dear one, Tamba Fofana:
1. A declaration that the  continued detention of the applicant since the
13th September 2006 without a  court order is unconstitutional
2. That the applicant be released forthwith  from custody pending the
determination of any charges that may be preferred  against him, or in the alternative
3. That the applicant be released from  custody upon entering into
recognizance with or without sureties condition for  his appearance before any court
where any charges preferred against him is to be  heard.
4. That the applicant be admitted to bail pending the determination of  any
such charge.
In her ruling, justice Ota noted that there was no  representation for the
State in spite of the fact that the Attorney General’s  Chambers was duly served
as evidenced by the proof of service attached to this  case file. There is
also no affidavit in opposition of this application.  According to the judge,
after she had carefully considered the totality of the  applicant’s application
and she found that it had merits. She recalled that  Tamba Fofana had been
arrested and detained since the 13th of September 2006.  She noted that he had
been in detention up till date contrary to Section 19 of  the constitution and
Section 99 of the Criminal Procedures Code; that up till  then there had been
no charge pending against him, he had not been brought to  court and no
explanation whatsoever had been given for his continued  detention.
The Honourable Justice of the High Court then concluded as  follows:
“In the circumstances I find that he is entitled to be released.  This court
will however exercise its discretion to release him on bail, so as to  avail
the investigating authorities’ access to him whenever they need him in the
lawful investigation and prosecution of any allegation or charges that may be
preferred against him.”
The court therefore ordered for Tamba Fofana to be  released on bail in the
sum of D50,000 with two sureties in the like sum to  deposit title deeds. The
bail conditions had long since been fulfilled but Tamba  Fofana still
languishes in custody. Some say he in internal exile.

CSO COALITION ON ELECTIONS
“Militants and supporters of a  certain political party entered polling
stations in various parts of the country  in their party gears, in some cases with
campaign vehicles,” the preliminary  report of the coalition of civil society
organisations on the National Assembly  Elections states.
The coalition which has a membership of 20 organisations,  deployed election
observers throughout the country during the National Assembly  Elections.
According to the report, in certain polling stations, a chaotic  atmosphere
between the presiding officer and the polling officers  existed.
“It appears polling officers were not adequately trained,” the  report
states.
The coalition is of the conclusion that there is need for a  national debate
on the issue of low voter turn out as witnessed in recent  elections, which in
their opinion (coalition) does not augur well for the  country’s democracy.
“Democracy can only be meaningful if there is informed  popular participation
in national affairs. Gambians have to be given the reasons  and benefits as
to why they should vote, if we are going to ensure good and  inclusive
governance and development. In this regard, the CSO Coalition  suggests, in an attempt
to increase voter turn out, that a study be undertaken  to find out why
citizens are not coming out to vote,” the report  indicates.

TREASON CASE ADJOURNED
By Lamin Phatty
The treason  trial involving Tamsir Jasseh, Alieu Jobe, Hon Demba Dem and
Omar Keita was on  Wednesday adjourned till the 31st January at the High Court in
Banjul.
The  defence counsel, Lamin Jobarteh applied for an adjournment noting that
he was  not well and could not proceed with the case.
The state prosecution team  headed by the Acting DPP, Mr. Emmanuel Fagbenle,
did not object to the  application. At this juncture the presiding Judge,
Justice Monageng adjourned  the case accordingly.
It could be recalled that the four, are standing trial  for their involvement
in the alleged 21st March 2006 abortive  coup.

“A TERRIBLE LOSS”
Says Sidia
By Bubacarr K.  Sowe
Reacting to the results of the just concluded National Assembly  Elections,
the duly elected representative for Wuli West constituency,  Honourable Sidia
Jatta said that the failure to return his colleague Halifa  Sallah to the
Assembly, is not only a loss to NADD, but to the nation and the  whole Africa
region. He described it as a terrible loss. Honourable Jatta noted  that a very
negative attitude in the form of voter apathy on the part of some  registered
voters is developing in the country. He said that in some parts of  his
constituency the people did not come out to vote and that this was a pattern  observed
throughout the country during polling day. He said that parties should  work
together and represent the supreme interest of the people they are
representing; that there is need for them, elected representatives, to provide  an
absolute link with the electorate inorder for them to be able to fully  represent
the people.
For his part, the candidate for APRC, Phoday Mahmud  Kebbeh who lost the
election, described the results as the will of the people  which he took in good
faith. He said that his manifesto was that of development  and that as a
politician he will continue to advocate for support for the APRC.  Mr. Kebbeh said
that he accepted the results but was also quite disappointed  with it.
Mr. Alieu Momar Njai, the Returning Officer for the Basse  Administrative
Area, said that he was aware of the fact that there were some  “minor” incidents
in the Sandu Constituency involving Phoday Sanyang, the NADD  candidate and
the Chief of the District. He said that he is yet to receive a  detailed report
from them but had called for calm and restraint from all those  concerned.
The NADD candidate has alleged that he was assaulted by the Chief and  some
others resulting in the damage of his vehicle. Mr. Njai also said that he  is
aware of the arrest and appearance in court of the UDP candidate for Basse
constituency, Mahamadou Saibo Sagnia.

POLLING DAY IN SERREKUNDA  CENTRAL
By Baboucarr Ceesay
As the Gambian electorate on Thursday 25th  January, 2007 went to the polls
to determine who should represent them in the  National Assembly, people of
Serrekunda Central caste their votes to manifest  their verdict. Polling started
at 7.00am as scheduled by the Independent  Electoral Commission (IEC).
This reporter went round all the polling  stations in Serrekunda Central
Constituency. Voters were very few in many  polling stations, while others
experienced a good turnout in the early hours  only.
At B89B, Marche Ngelew, an APRC Polling Agent was found sitting at the  main
entrance of Marche Ngelew in possession of a voters’ list directing voters  to
various polling stations as if carrying out an IEC polling staff’s functions.
 When the presiding officer of the polling station was contacted, he said he
was  not aware of the man’s presence there and therefore ordered him to
surrender the  list and wait until his turn came to replace his colleague.
The Presiding  Officer of B90 in London Corner said he had been facing
problems with transfers  and replacements, because names of many voters with the
correct station number  could neither be found on the voters’ lists nor the
counterfoils. He said that  he had to inform the IEC who promised to double check
and see whether they can  be provided with more lists and counterfoils.
At this station, this reporter  met Modou Lamin Jobe an APRC militant who was
arranging to facilitate the voting  of two APRC supporters whose names were
neither in the list nor in the  counterfoils.  Mr. Jobe was driving in a black
Range Rover numbered BJL  6181 D traversing between different polling stations.
In another development,  Alhagie Fatty, UDP candidate for Serrekunda Central,
had confrontation with Mr.  Bubacarr Jabbie, the Presiding Officer for B33A,
Bundung Borehole for  interrupting the voting process. According to the
Presiding Officer, the UDP  candidate came to the station and told him to stop the
conduct of the voting  exercise. He said that Fatty said he had the right to
stop the election process  because his ballot drum was not sealed in the
presence of his agents. The  Presiding Officer pointed out that the UDP candidate had
no right to stop voting  when his polling agent did not even arrive at the
polling station on time. He  said Alhagie Fatty also insisted that he (the
Presiding Officer) should not be  supplied with desks by any one but the  IEC.

As the tension mounted, the Presiding Officer said he had to use his
authority that the Elections Degree empowers him to order the police to  intervene
and Mr. Fatty and one of his supporters, Mr. Lamin Cham, were  arrested. Fatty’s
statement was taken and released and Mr. Cham was detained at  the Bundung
Police Station.
Mr. Sainey Jaiteh, candidate for APRC, also  arrived at B33A with the
complaint that someone was in possession of voters’  cards and tried to order a
security officer to search the man. The security  officer said that he is trained
to do things according to law not for the sake  of doing them. At this
juncture, Mr. Jabbie, the Presiding Officer for B33A  ordered the APRC candidate and
his people to disperse and stay at least 500  metres away from the ground,
otherwise they would be violating the rules of the  election.
Voting stopped at 4.00pm and ballot drums were finally transport to  the
Counting Centre at the B.O. Semega Janneh Hall for counting. Counting  started
around after 8pm and ended at around 3pm.
Party counting agents, the  media, domestic and international observers
witnessed the counting  process.
At the end of the counting process Sainey Jaiteh of APRC emerged as  the
winner with 6328 votes, Halifa Sallah of NADD polled 4, 296 votes and UDP’s
Alhagie fatty got 1,545 votes.

MY VICTORY IS ‘NATURAL’
Says  Elected APRC Kombo North NAM
By Modou Jonga
The Elected National Assembly  Member of Kombo North Mr. Adama Cham has said
his victory in the just concluded  National Assembly Election is expected,
unavoidable and therefore  natural.
Mr. Cham who won under the ruling party (APRC) ticket made this  statement on
Friday in an interview with this reporter. The elected Kombo North  NAM
described the entire election process as free and fair without hitches. He  further
commended the Independent Electoral Commission for what he called  efficient
performance in the whole National Assembly Election process.
While  hailing his supports for voting him in as their representative, Mr.
Cham  expressed his determination to articulate the needs of his  people.

“CO-OPERATE FOR DEVELOPMENT”
Says Elected Kombo East  APRC NAM
By Modou Jonga
The elected representative of Kombo East to the  National Assembly Elections,
Mr. Lamin MM Bojang, has urged all the people in  his constituency to
co-operate and co-ordinate their efforts despite their  political difference. I am
calling on the people of Kombo East to reason beyond  their political barriers
for the ultimate development and transformation of  Kombo East, he remarked.
Mr. Bojang who won under the ruling party’s ticket  (APRC) made these remarks
on Friday in an interview with this reporter at  Pirang. The Elected Kombo
East NAM has described the election process as free  and transparent to the core.
The new Kombo East NAM further called on all the  electorate including those
who did not vote for him to come together to work for  the development of
their constituency. “I have no hidden agenda,” he posited. He  thus hailed his
supporters for choosing him to represent them in the National  Assembly. He
noted that he is resolved to serve his people to the required  standard.

“MY DEFEAT IS A VERDICT”
Says UDP Kombo South  Candidate
By Modou Jonga
The candidate of the United Democratic Party UDP  for the Kombo South seat,
Mr. Alasana Bojang, has described his defeat as a  rightful verdict of the
people of Kombo South. “This election result is a  conclusive wish of the people
of Kombo South,” he said.
Mr. Bojang made this  statement on Saturday in an interview with this
reporter. On whether the  election was free and fair, the defeated UDP Kombo South
candidate, said that  such statement would be deficient because election is a
long process, which  starts with registration. He, however, noted  that the
polling process was  peaceful and without hitches. Mr. Bojang has further called
for an all inclusive  developmental drive by the people of Kombo South despite
the odds the election  might have generated.
On his future political plans, the defeated UDP Kombo  South candidate said
he is determined to move on. “Infact, my defeat is the  beginning of my
political career,” he posited.

RESULTS OF THE  NATIONAL ASSEMBLY ELECTIONS

BANJUL ADMINISTRATIVE  AREA

Banjul North
1. Alhagie  Sillah              APRC                -           1648
2. Momodou  A Sarr         UDP                  -            432

Banjul Central
1. Abdoulie  Same                       APRC   -            2298
2. Ebrima A B Pesseh  Njie         UDP      -            1213

Banjul South
1. Aihagie Babucarr  Sheikh Nyang  APRC -          1430
2. Aziz Pa Boy  Fraser                     UDP -           587

KANIFING ADMINISTRATIVE AREA

Bakau
1 Kalifa  Jammeh             APRC                -           3009
2. Famara  S. Bojang          UDP               -            2869

Jeshwang
1. Haddy  Jagne               APRC                -           4982
2.  Junkungba Dukureh     UDP                  -           1524
3. Modou  I. Cham           Independent      -       Withdrew

Serekunda West
1. Sulayman  Joof            APRC                -           4901
2.  Babuocarr K. Nyang    UDP                  -            2179

Serekunda East
1. Fabakary Tombong  Jatta         APRC    -           5959
2.  Bunambass  Kongira                UDP      -           2384
3. Pa  Sainey  Jallow                     Independent-      998

Serekunda  Central
1. Ousainou Sainey  Jaiteh          APRC    -          6386
2. Alagie  Fatty                            UDP  -                1548
3. Halifa  Sallah                           NADD -              4302

BRIKAMA ADMINISTRATIVE AREA

Kombo North
1.  Adama Charn             APRC                            12899
2. Ismaila Sanneh           UDP                              3624

Kombo South
1. Paul L.  Mendy            APRC    -                        6172
2. Alasan  Bojang           UDP      -                        1236
3. Abdou  Kolley              Independent        -            4952

Kombo Central
1. Abdou F.H.S  Jarjue                 APRC   -            8287
2. Ousman G.A.  Kebbeh             UDP      -            6558

Kombo East
1. Lamin M M. Bojang     APRC                -           6141
2. Lamin  R. Darboe         UDP                  -            2232

Foni Bintang
1. Ebrima Janko  Sanyang            APRC   -            1825
2. Ebrima  Jammeh                      Independent-      2080

Foni  Berefet
Bintanding  Jarjue            APRC                -            Unopposed

Foni  Kansala
Sherrif Abba Sanyang      APRC                 -           Unopposed

Foni Bondali
Alhaji Matarr  Kujabi         APRC                -            Unopposed

Foni Jarrol
Borry L.S.B.  Kolley         APRC                -            Unopposed

MANSAKONKO ADMINISTRATIVE AREA

Kiang  West
1. Kalipha  Kambi                         APRC -           1912
2.  Alhagie Momodou L.K Sanneh  UDP     -          2098
3. Mao  Darboe                            Independent -    389

Kiang Central
1. Aba L.  Yabou                          APRC   -            1399
2. Babading K.K.  Daffeh              UDP      -            1548

Kiang East
1. Bora B.  Mass             APRC                -           2156
2. Karapha  Dampha        UDP                  -            886

Jarra West
1. Njai  Darboe                   APRC              -           5024
2.  Kemenseng Jammeh    UDP    -                        2760

Jarra Central
1. Momodou L.  Ceesay       APRC                -       1181
2. .Pa  Jallow                      UDP                  -       1247

Jarra East
1. Bafaye  Saidykhan       APRC                -           2577
2. Kekoi  K. B Baajo        UDP                  -            1247

KERE WAN ADMINISTRATIVE AREA

Lower Niumi
1.  Cherno M A Cham       APRC                -           4253
2. Babou  Kebbeh            NRP                  -            3890

Upper Niumi
1. Cherno Omar Jallow     APRC   -                        4498
2. Ebrima K Sonko          UDP      -                        1270

Jokadu
1. Kebba  Gaye                           APRC   -            2719
2. Sait A  Joof                              UDP      -           643
3. Ousman  M.M.  Jallow               Independent-       2089

Lower Badibu
1. Abdoulie Suku  Singhateh        APRC    -           2697
2. Kebba  Famara Singhateh         UDP      -            2358

Central Badibu
1. Momodou S.  Touray                APRC   -            3053
2. Alasan FK  Cessay                  UDP      -           1512
3.  Fabakary B  Ceesay                 NADD   -            350

Illiasa
1. Lamin Kebba  Jammeh         APRC   -           4723
2. Kebba L  Jammeh                    UDP      -           1227
3. Ebrima  A.O  Samba                 Independent -     1841

Sabach Sanjal
1.  Ousman  Bah              APRC                -           3911
2.  Fafanding Saidy         NRP                  -           1227
3. Alhagie  SM Secka     Independent        -            2308

JANJANBUREH ADMINISTRATIVE AREA

Niamina  Dankunku
1. Essa Saidykhan          APRC                -         1047
2. Samba  Jallow             NRP                  -            946

Niamina West
1. Lamin  Jadama            APRC                -           1515
2.  Samba Baldeh           NRP                  -            889

Lower Fulladu
1. Yerro M.C Mballow      APRC                -           3925
2. Alhagie  A S Boye        NRP                              2933

Janjanbureh
1. Foday Jibani Manka    APRC                -           517
2. Kebba  Yira Maimeh     UDP                 -            322

Lower Saloum
1. Kabba  Touray             APRC                -           3492
2. Omar S  Ceesay          NRP                  -            1907

Upper Saloum
1. Sainey  Mbye              APRC                -           3492
2. Hamat  NK Bah            NRP                  -            3298

Nianija
1. Dawda  Manneh          APRC    -                        2106
2. Abdoulje Jallow           NRP      -                        693

Niani
1. Ebrima  Manneh          APRC    -                        3450
2. Alhagie SB SiIlah        Independent-                   2053

Sami
1. Alh. Edrissa Samba Lamtoro Sallah  APRC     -  2880
2. Lamin  Ceesay                                   UDP    -    3182

Niamina East
1.  Foday A  Jallow                       APRC   -            2554
2. Ebrima LS  Marenah                Independent-      2041

Upper Fulladu
1.  Muhammadu M. Jallow            APRC   -            4963
2, Amadou  Sanneh                     UDP      -            4008

BASSE ADMINISTRATIVE AREA

Jimara
1. Mamma  Kandeh         APRC    -                        4067
2. Adama  Barrow            UDP      -                        2835

Basse
1. Momodou Sellou  Bah              APRC   -            3501
2. Mohamad Saiba Sanyang        UDP      -            2239

Tumana
1. Netty  Baldeh               APRC                -           3647
2.  Alfusainey Jawara       UDP                  -            1777

Kantora
Saikou Suso       APRC                            -            Unopposed

Wuli West
1. Phoday Mahmod  Kebbeh    APRC          -       3134
2. Sidia Sana  Jatta                NADD          -        3898

Wuli East
1.  Bekai Camara             APRC                -           3760
2.  Suwaibou Touray         NADD                -            2691

Sandu
1. Abdoulie Kanagi  Jawla             APRC-               3302
2. Foday  Sanyang                       NADD   -            2749

“JAMMEH’S STATEMENT INFLUENCED THE RESULTS”
Sheikh Lewis of  the International Society for Human Right is of the opinion
that President  Jammeh’s statement that he will not develop constituencies
that vote for the  opposition, has influenced the outcome of the elections.
Mr. Lewis made this  statement during a debriefing session organised by the
Independent Electoral  Commission at the Kairaba Beach Hotel on Saturday.
Presenting his institution’s  preliminary report on it’s observation of the
election, Lewis said this  statement by the president was made on election day. “He
is a president for all  of us. We don’t have a president for development and a
president for non  development. He should bring development for all of us,”
he remarked.
He  said Jammeh has a household name and his comments helped the APRC
candidates to  defeat their opponents. He noted that the low voter turn out is a
clear  indication of that fact that the APRC candidates could not convince their
supporters to come out and vote for them. He said it is Jammeh who won the
elections and not the candidates.
He commended the police for carrying out  their election duties in a
professional manner. He noted that the National  Assembly elections were conducted in
an orderly manner. According to him, the  elections were free and fair.

INDEPENDENT CANDIDATE WINS  POLLS UNDER DIFFICULT CIRCUMSTANCES
Mr. Ebrima Solloh Jammeh who stood for  the National Assembly Election on an
Independent platform in Foni Bintang  Constituency has won with a clear
majority. This reporter caught up with him at  Jinack Polling Station C34 while
polling was on. He commended the process. On  the reason why he decided to stand
as an independent candidate, he said it  started when the people of his
constituency revealed their dissatisfaction  towards the incumbent, Mr. Ebrima Janko
Sanyang, when the process for selecting  a candidate was being discussed. He
said after frantic efforts to put up a new  candidate, the desire of the
constituency locals was ignored and that is why he  was put in the picture as an
independent candidate. He said the people were fed  up with the incumbent and
were ready to manifest that in the polls. He said  people want no rubber stamps
in the National Assembly. On the issue of the two  men Yaya Sowe and one Mr.
Jobe who were arrested, he said the men were caught  canvassing for votes on
behalf of his opponent contrary to the IEC rules and  regulations, as it was a
day of cessation of all political activities. He said  after he was informed by
his supporters of the activities of the two men he  reported the matter to the
IEC regional office at Brikama who also referred him  to their staff on the
ground and that was when he further took the matter to the  police station.
At the counting centre in Sibanor, the presence of  supporters of the two
candidates was overwhelming. However, the APRC candidate,  Ebrima Janko Sanyang,
was nowhere to be seen. He voted at Batabut Polling  Station C24 and the
independent candidate, Ebrima Jammeh, voted at Batending  polling station C33. As
the results were made known the voices of jubilant  supporters could be heard
almost everywhere.
In the following ,morning this  reporter caught up with victorious Ebrima
Jammeh and asked him what his  development priorities would be for his
constituency. He said he’ll try and  establish social and development trust funds and
also an education trust fund  for needy and deserving students among other
things.
FOROYAA: You are aware  of the fact that you contested on an independent
ticket and not on the ruling  party’s ticket, are you sure things are going to be
made easy for you and your  constituency?
Jammeh: I’ll do everything I could. No stone would be left  unturned. I know
what has transpired was all meant to discourage me and my  supporters but that
has come and gone. “Let’s now look to the future,” he  concluded. Out of the
twelve polling stations Mr. Jammeh won eight with a total  of 2080 votes and
Mr. Sanyang 1825 votes.

UDP CANDIDATE AND  SUPPORTERS DETAINED
By Bubacarr K. Sowe & Lamin Fatty
The UDP  candidate for Basse Constituency, Mahamadou Saibo Sagnia, and nine
of his  supporters were last Tuesday remanded in custody after their first
appearance in  court. The Magistrates’ court granted the application of the
prosecution for all  the accused to be refused bail until the prosecution have
completed their  investigation.
They are now remanded in custody at Janjangbureh Prison. One  of the accused
is a Grade 12 student. She is the candidate’s daughter. The ten  accused are
charged with
(a)         unlawful assembly
(b)        conducive to  breach of peace
In addition to these two charges four of the accused have  been charged with
common assault these charges relate to a meeting which police  alleged is
unlawful. When the charges were read all pleaded not guilty. The  accused were not
represented by a legal counsel in court. The matter was  adjourned till 8th
February. The prosecutor is Corporal Camara and the presiding  magistrate, Mr.
Musa A. Baldeh.

FORMER GCAA DIRECTOR OF ENGINEERING  TESTIFIES IN MAIMUNA TAAL’S CASE
By Lamin Phatty
Mr. Pa Chaboe Saine, a  former Director of Engineering at The Gambia Civil
Aviation Authority (GCAA),  has testified in the ongoing case involving Maimuna
Taal, former DG, before  Justice Monageng on Wednesday 24th January 2007.
Responding to questions from  the prosecution Mr. Saine said he was working
at the GCAA at the time Maimuna  Taal was the Director General of The Gambia
Civil Aviation Authority. He said he  became the Director of Engineering at the
time Mam Sait Jallow was DG and  Mustapha Leigh, a project coordinator, while
Amadou Wadda served as the Project  Manager. He said that between September
2001 and October 2002 he was pursuing a  course in the United Kingdom.
Mr. Chaboe Saine said he was the Director of  Engineering responsible for
installation, repairs and maintenance of all  equipment at the GCAA.
He testified that the process of works or projects at  the Civil Aviation
starts with evaluation of the project by the Civil Engineer,  who assesses and
prepares the proposal; that he then looks at it and when he is  satisfied, it is
forwarded to the Director General for approval. He said that  the work is
then tendered out to contractors and that the contract committee  carries out the
evaluation, assess bidders and then send their selection to the  Director
General for approval and eventual the execution of the work. He said  the same
procedure takes place with all the contracts of the GCAA. Mr. Saine  told the
court that the areas involved in the contracts were four. He said the  initial
phase was reffered to as the ‘Fast Track Phase’; that the work was  contracted
to the Companies Sahelien D’Enterprise, CSE. He explained that this  project
was not completed as most of the work done by CSE have not satisfied the
standard of the consultant of the project. He added that the other projects
involved the rehabilitation of the DG’s residence in Yundum and the cost  involved
was D897, 286.72 Mr. Saine said that when this project was initiated it  was
sent to the contract committee who looked at it and then sent it back to his
office for the execution of the work. He told the court that the contract
involved four projects: the electronic Manager, Air Traffic Control Manager, the
ADC Manager and the Director General’s residence costing D7747, 815.00, D601,
405.00, D665, 890.00 and D897,286.72 respectively.
He said that for the  electronic manager’s residence the contract was awarded
to Badjan’s Enterprises  while the Air traffic Manager’s residence was
awarded to Ndambung and Son’s  Construction Company.
He stated that the Director General’s residence needed  refurbishment because
it was in a very bad condition; that the Airport terminal  building also
needed to be refurbished, and this was also awarded to Badjan  Construction
Company. He said work under this project involved external works,  such as building
manholes and septic tanks. Defence counsel Antouman Gaye asked  Mr. Saine
under cross examination to tell the court who recommended the  contracts and
whether the recommendation was accepted. Mr. Chaboe Saine, in  response, told the
court that the contract officer recommended the contract and  all the
recommendations were accepted.
At this juncture the defence counsel  applied for an adjournment. The case
was then adjourned to the 13th and 14th  February for continuation.