GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 12:53:58 +0100
"The strategy of the guerilla struggle was to cause maximum chaos and destruction in order to render the government of the day very unpopular"
Lt. Gen. Kaguta Museveni (Leader of the NRA guerilla army in Luwero)

****

----Original Message Follows---- From: Frederick Golooba-Mutebi Reply-To: [log in to unmask]

Changing leaders: Note to Duke Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 08:00:32 +0000 (GMT) Hi Duke, Yes, indeed, power corrupts. But I think some leaders are corrupt even before coming to power. Once there, the corruption is simply accentuated. Tony Benn, that bull terrier of British politics once said something about New Labour that has stuck in my mind: People come to power wanting to change the status quoi. However, once they get there, the status quo looks very good indeed. I think that the Supreme court ruling, the moves to undermine the constitutional order, the junk helicopter scandal, the ghost soldier saga, the results of the 1996 & 2001 elections and th! e events preceding them, the long-running tristar saga and now the palm oil story [see today's The New Vision], all point in one direction: Museveni is hardly the straight man he was always reputed to be. What we have is a corrupt president with hardly any integrity. By the way, there is a story that one of his ranches once belonged to the Ministry of Defence. The Ministry bought it from one Mr. Kiwanuka. When and how did it become Museveni's personal ranch????????? I keep wondering whether people who want this man [and here I don't equate him with the Movement] to continue ruling the country have have really reflected on what implications that has for the country. Just thinking that the country coudl stay in that man's hands any longer than 2006 fills me with grief.

Golooba.