GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 2014 04:28:22 -0400
Burama,
             The problem with your postulations about a functioning
democracy, is that the institutional framework for democracy must first
be established before a democracy can be functional. You cannot have a
functioning democracy where there is no democracy. This makes the whole
premise of attaining a functional democracy where all the mechanics of
a democratic dispensation are absent redundant.

The political structures and culture in the country has been
consolidated and passed from one republic to the other; and the only
way for our quest for a  democratic dispensation and culture to be
realized is to forge a new beginning. How to forge this new beginning
is the challenge that we are grappling with at the moment.

I agree with Nyang that the constitutional framework that can engender
a peaceful transition to a more democratic dispensation could be
present, but it has to take the active participation of all the
stakeholder in the
political process to demand that such is the case.

The nation-state is constituted with people who belong to different
ethnic groups, have different interest persuasions and subscribe to
different belief systems, thus there must be a mechanism through which
a society can be regulated so that rights can be protected and duties
and responsibilities assigned.

Thus within the constitutional framework that governs the nation-state,
law and order serve as the guide for an equitable basis where nobody is
maligned or favored; and everyone enjoys the security, protection and
all the fundamental rights that are associated with one's right to
"life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." At least this is the
ideal.

Rene