GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Laye Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Aug 2011 08:13:17 -0500
http://www.focus-fen.net/index.php?id=n257238

Senegal seeks Gambia help to end Casamance crisis
17 August 2011 | 00:23

Banjul. Senegalese President Abdoulaye Wade called on his Gambian
counterpart Yahya Jammeh Tuesday to help solve his government's
decades-old conflict with separatists in Casamance, AFP reported.
Gambia is a narrow strip of land wedged inside Senegal, almost
dividing it in two, with a large northern half including the capital
Dakar and the smaller region of Casamance to the south.
"I have done my part to end the crisis in Casamance but no avail,"
said Wade, during a visit to the Gambian capital Banjul, where he held
talks with Jammeh.
"Senegal and Gambia are one people and that is why I want my brother
President Jammeh to intervene so that there will be peace in
Casamance," Wade said.
The Senegalese president said that demobilised former separatist
fighters from the Movement of Democratic Forces of Casamance (MDFC)
were being prevented from returning to civilian life by holdout
rebels.
Wade also urged Jammed to hand over any Senegalese dissident in
Gambia, which is home to thousands of refugees from Casamance and is
believed to harbour members of the MDFC.
Jammeh assured Wade of his readiness to cooperate as soon as the holy
Muslim fasting month of Ramadan ends.
"Solving the crisis in Casamance is in the best interest of the two
countries. Gambia will never be a safe haven for Senegalese
dissidents," Jammeh assured Wade.
Negotiations are deadlocked between the Senegalese goverment and the
MFDC, which was founded in 1982 and comprises a variety of political
and military factions.
The signature in December 2004 of a peace deal failed to end the violence.
At least 19 Senegalese troops and an unknown number of rebels have
died in a fresh surge of violence since December 2010.

--
-Laye

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい