GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 10:24:22 EDT
We think you guys are doing a fantastic job and it is with pain that we
register our disagreement with some of your assertions on this letter. We
believe that the opposition to this tyrannical regime should stick together
and support each other, because it is only through unity, that we will be
able to get rid of Yaya. However, we also believe that it is incumbent upon
us to step in and rectify any member of the coalition we believe is going
astray. By the same token, we invite every member of the coalition to point
out to us areas where we make mistakes that may negatively impact the
struggle.
We respectfully disagree with your some of your analysis of the statutory
provisions and your call on the chief justice to review the coroner's
findings. In an earlier posting, I narrated the powers of the coroner in
such an inquest. If one looks at that carefully, one will realize that the
powers of the coroner as far as giving redress to the families that lost
their children are minimal. The coroner can only determine the cause of
death and recommend the charging of the criminals. The ultimate decision to
render charges rest with the attorney general / director of public
prosecution. So even if the coroner does not charge someone, it is no big
deal. The fight should be with the attorney general to charge someone. What
you are advocating would just allow the government to engage in the
feet-dragging they have been engaged in since April 11. Let us assume that
the chief justice reviews Ousman Jammeh's finding and disagrees with them.
What do you want him to do? Tell Ousman Jammeh to conduct another inquest
and this time makes sure that he points out to Pap Cheyassin Secka who
should be prosecuted? This is the best we can expect from the chief justice.
I think you will even agree that this does not take us anywhere. We believe
that the way to go is to force Pap Cheyassin Secka to appoint the
independent prosecutor he promised, so that that prosecutor can investigate
the case and recommend the charging of the real culprits. The coroner's
inquest was only important for establishing that our children were
slaughtered by the soldiers and their guns. These findings should be given
to an independent prosecutor to take the case before the regular courts
where criminals are punished for their crimes. We do not want the case to go
back to Ousman Jammeh or anybody that cannot punish criminals.
I also hope that I misinterpreted your statement about people's expression
of doubt regarding the importance of the commission. Contrary to your
statement, we read in other Gambian newspapers that people think that the
commission is a gross waste of time. But I will even go further and state
that one does not need a poll to know that the commission is a waste of
time. What can they do? It goes without saying that if you have a commission
where government officials will come in and refuse to answer basic questions
or tell blatant lies, respectable citizens should condemn that commission in
no uncertain terms. If at the end of the day this commission cannot convict
and punish criminals, then it is a waste of time in my book. The fact that
terms of reference of the commission was not 'Gazetted', is neither here nor
there. The statutory provision you cited require that the formation of the
commission be publicized in the Gazette. It does not say that the terms of
reference be Gazetted. If I remember rightly, there was a press release to
the effect that the commission was set up. The public is clearly aware of
the formation of a commission to look into 'the public disturbances of  10th
and 11th April, 2000'. So whether this press release was publicized in the
Gazette or not is irrelevant. I hate to give this government some legal
pointers at the expense of a member of the opposition, but I have a deeper
purpose for giving you my opinion on this subject.
To recap, we think that another coroner's inquest, the chief justice's
review of the original inquest and the commission of inquiry are all time
wasters. The way forward is to get an international human rights activist to
come to The Gambia and prosecute this case after conducting his own
investigation. The more we prolong this with proceedings that do not spell
jail-time or firing squad for the culprits, we are just adding to the ordeal
of the families that lost their children and are being denied justice by
this government.
KB