GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
malik kah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 12:24:28 +0000
Sheiks, I share your sentiments but what you fail to realise is that such
coalitions are not designed or meant to address the fundamental issues you
raised, issues such as the living conditions of the people such issues are
and must be embeded on principles guided by ideology and the parties that
normally forge such coalitions do not normally share a common ideological
approac for their existence is usually conditioned by the fact that a change
to re-start is both essential and inevitable, if there exist a facist regime
it is incumbent on all and sundry to devsie a strategy to oust them and
after they are gone, it is assumed that a mouch more healthier climate than
hitherto existed would ensue and this is precisely why a bonding of this
nature is increasingly popular. Such coalitions are essentially not designed
to address needs but to redress democratic deficiencies that have become the
norm of governance under tyrants or despots. Obviously the need to address
some issues are prerequisites to forging such alliances but their greater
good are self evident. For instance take Kenya, eventhough everything is not
rosy, but the fact MOI had been ousted is a good thing, obviously a lot of
issues needs to be further explored to give back power to the people, for me
I see it as a single step towards the right direction, I have taken on board
some of your reservations but broadly I think with a rustic electorate in
Africa and the continued exploitation of the gullibility of the people, the
strategy of coming together from opposing poles to create a more tolereant
political lanscape is welcoming.