GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou S Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2006 22:16:52 +0200
Sister Jabou,

Thank you for your insights.
You know that I am quite familiar with the imperialist agenda, drawn out
largely by policy scientists in Washington. If their objetives are clear to
us, as you rightly outlined, then muslims ought to avoid falling into a trap
of self-pity and uncritical modes of defensive posturing, so that in the
process of acting out that defense, Islam is brought into contention. The
effect is to cloud both Islam and the political and historical questions
that lie at the roots of all these conflicts.

In my mind both Wafa Sultan and Alieu Jawara seem to have fallen into this
fallacy. Attempting to locate the roots of suicide bombing or violence
perpetrated by muslims on jews or even other muslims in Islam is to obscure
the historical and political contexts that produced such violence. It is an
attempt to try to explain a people's political behaviour by examining their
culture. It is generally referred to as Culture Talk, and even if Samuel
Huntington is perhaps its best known proponent in intellectual circles,
Bernard Lewis seems to have advanced the theory more cogently. Their work
forms the ideological basis of contemporary American policy in the Middle
East.

On the other hand, equating the wearing of hijab by muslim women with their
opression I think is an easy way of looking at their political rights in
muslim societies. In my view, Islam itself will remain prone to cause
conflict if muslim societies prove incapable of political modernisation.
That muslim women have little political or social rights in most of the
Middle East is one reason why many educated arab women find cultural solace
in the west, even if they fall short of becoming anti-islamic propaganda
celebrities.

As for Condi Rice, I find her immensely repulsive in her role in providing
intellectual and politcal muscle to the U.S imperial project all over the
planet

Many thanks,
sidibeh

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい