GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2007 03:11:30 EST
Ladies & Gentlemen, Colleagues,

I have followed the discussion on the apparent disagreement between the
Supreme Islamic Council and the Ahmadiyya for the latter's translation of the
Qur'an into some of our local languages. I must say I was both disappointed and
confounded in some of the submissions.

In my opinion, The Ahmadiyya are a missionary group like the Islamic  Council
and the Christian council. They all vie for the spiritual life of  Gambians.
Since Gambia is not an Islamic republic, this matter seems to me a  public
policy conundrum than anything else. Citizens must not war over a public  policy
mistake. The policy makers ought to make the policy right and consider  the
debilitating effect of bad policy decisions on the citizenry.

1. The Islamic Council must not be given the title "The Supreme Islamic
Council".

2. The Ahmadiyya, like the Christian Brotherhood, and their governing
councils must never come under the purview of the Islamic Council without their
acquiescence, and if I have any common sense at all, they will never, and
rightfully so.

3. To foster religious fraternity and harmony, A "Council on Religion"  ought
to be created with equal representatives from all religions, even the
religions founded or to be founded by Gambians.

4. Gambia is a nation of religious tolerance and freedom of religion. It is
a bad idea to feign preference for Islam. I am a muslim and I prefer the
Islamic  Lifestyle. However, to be a true muslim, I must recognize the freedoms of
people  of other faiths. Someone accepted the Ahmadiyya and Christian
brotherhoods as  missionaries in Gambia. They have done a lot of selfless good. They
do not force  anyone to convert. The Islamic brotherhood must follow the
example of these  other religions and remain honest to the divine spirit. It is not
decided that  Islam is the best religion for anyone's salvation. If we give
the Islamic  Council free reign over our spiritual lives at the expense of other
spiritual  nourishment, we will live to regret it and die to proceed to
hellfire.

Laa Hawala walaa khuwwata, Illa Billaah, Li-Aliyyul Atheem.

Haroun Masoud. MQDT Darbo. Al Mutawakkil. If Islam is the best religion for
salvation, I would like Allah, subhaanahu wa-ta aala, to take my life  before
I awake in the morn.

Thank you.

Haroun Masoud

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい