GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Asbjørn Nordam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 07:19:05 +0200
I´m very glad to see the information in today Observer that the government
has involved itself in manufacturing, buying and selling the nuts and
preserving the seeds of the groundnuts, and  the mills are again running. I
don´t know why the government had to wait so long to take that step, even
they have the policy that this should be private enterprise. The Gambia is
not ready for exclusive private enterprise. State subsidizes must be put in
when it´s a vital sector and problems are facing so many people as when it
comes to the farmers and their families depending on producing an selling.
They work so hard, and even I know how world market are also influencing I
still believe that the government has to take part here. The american, the
european farmers are also producing with  states subsidizes, so why not in
The Gambia ?
Comment from Asbjørn Nordam