GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Touray, Maila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 22:20:01 -0400
Thanks to all that responded to my enquiry. Including the private mails, I
have received 6 different answers to the question.
To further tweak the minds, and foster historical thinking, I wonder what
the name was before the partition of Africa - if any. And what did we call
our continent before the division? Was the name Africa coined by us or the
invaders? What does it mean? How did empires deal with these issues beyond
what we know?

As you read my emails, you may be wondering what happen to my history
lessons. The question is "what history lessons?" Christopher Columbus? What
I am getting at is reform - of the education system (not only in Gambia, but
Africa in general) from a historic perspective. Being a village boy
(Ballangharrian Fanafana), I certainly have my share bit of oral history
lessons. My fear is that if we don't start writing, a lot of what we know
and value will go with us to the graves. Yes, I have read Stories of The
Gambia, some publications by authors like Papa Jeng and others. They are
great, well written publications, but not "history" books.

The challenge. It will be very beneficial for generations to come, if a
writer can document the triumphs, and tragedies of "The" Gambia/Gambians -
modern and ancient. I hope someone takes me up on this. Where there is a
comprehensive history book on "The" Gambia, can anyone give me a title. If
you know someone working on such a project, please let me know who it is.
Thank you all for your continued support!

Maila