GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 19:21:42 +0000
"Uncle Jay",

Well, I am the beneficiary of a whole host of information from a wide range
of sources in and out of The Gambia:  I feel that I have a good overview of
the conditions prevailing and of the events transpiring in my homeland, even
if I am exiled from it.

At the same time, I am a student of Political Science and am fully aware of
the tensions which accrue during the run up to key elections.  Who knows who
will win the presidential elections on the 18th of October?  I certainly do
not, but at the same time, I am doing my best to acquaint myself and my
fellow Gambians with as much information and opinion as I possibly can, in
order to ensure that the Gambian electorate has access to the fullest range
of information and political spin.

"Uncle Jay" may feel that he has the only reliable opinion on and evidence
of events "on the ground" in The Gambia.  He has told us in no uncertain
terms that he is a supporter of PDOIS.  My sources in The Gambia and
elsewhere, represent a whole range of political standpoints: these are
matters for them, and not for me.

Good for you "Uncle Jay", that you are not supporting Yahya Jammeh, and that
you have developed your own political construct. What you believe is your
business, and how you vote on Thursday is your business.

I have to point out that I do not personally write to Gambia-L on fantasies
or fabrications:  my postings are based on facts as passed to me by my many
sources and colleagues still at home in The Gambia.  My sources represent a
wide range of political views and opinions, and I respect them for these:
as they in turn, respect my independence of thought.

My role in forwarding messages from my sources is to ensure that Gambians
have the fullest breadth of opinion and information, upon which they will
formulate their own judgements (as I do).  Again, I have to say that I am
the messenger, and not the message.

Our opinions may be different, but Thank God, we are at least united in one
thing: Yahya Jammeh should not be allowed to win the election on the 18th.
The vote of every member of the electorate is crucial, and let these votes
be for anyone except Jammeh.

Whatever happens following the elections in The Gambia on Thursday, I am at
one step removed from it by virtue of long-term commitments in the UK.  I
will not personally suffer if Jammeh does win the election: for the
foreseeable future, I am going to be based in the UK and not in The Gambia.

I am not looking for self-aggrandisement in my home country, or for a
ministerial post in an opposition government !! BUT I have done everything
in my power to give Gambians another side of the picture, a different
viewpoint based on facts in the public domain, and comments and opinions
from a range of Gambians in and out of the country.  I believe that it is
VITAL that Gambians have access to the truth in order that they can make a
wise electoral choice.

I believe wholeheartedly that I do not now, and never have, "distorted the
facts".  These are things that are on public record:  I merely comment on
them.

Ebrima Ceesay,
Birmingham, UK