GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
edi sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 18:43:05 +0300
Quoting Ebrima Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>:

If you people want to leave just do it and stop your
childish appeals.To translate from mandinka language
goes, rapidly informing your host of leaving always
means you don't want to leave.Does who have the
intention are since forgotten.Or do you people want us
to beg or are you showing us your importance in this
forum?
Man got to do what man want's to do without reason
findings to his/her change of mind.

Why do we have to think that everyone should agree with
what we say or doing? moreover disagreeing with others
should not participate in any decision of leaving the
forum if seriousness will prevail.

This is why I say we are really lack of serious
contributors in this forum.The only decision which will
cause my disappearance from this forum will be insulting
.Even such ill-bred attitutes will have to be responded
alike. So guys please be serious and stay or go, no need
to finding excuses.

Like of my friend told me last weekend that I should try
formulate my writting in the in the forum at the twinkle
brothers show.I however have no ways but this to express
my opinion and they do not have to read it if they think
it is hard to understand. I am independent and leave
others to be and express their views freely.

Our private meeting is for other discussions than
talking about the forum things,becuase it can extend
some bad feelings, let us be gambians in heart and
disagree to agree to each other's opinion without treat
of damaging our oneness.But these kinds of things are
always happening in societies and should not cause
any harm to our participations or interactions.
edi

> (Writing in a hurry)
>
> Gambia-L: I wanted to take some quality time to work
on a very sober final
> e-mail explaining why I wanted to leave the list, but
in the wake of the
> numerous e-mails and phone calls I received even as a
far East Timor, I am
> obliged to scribble something out of respect to those
who wrote or called
> me.
>
> Below, Gambia-L, you will read what was to be my final
posting to The
> Gambia
> List. I am forwarding it to the List, so that members
such as Seedy Saidy
> Khan can be made fully aware of my then decision to
quit and the reasons
> for
> it. I think it is extremely important to set the
record straight and to be
> totally open and above-board.
>
> In particular, I should draw your attention to the
penultimate paragraph
> "there was never ANY intention on my part to seek
approbation from
> contributors to the List, and I was and am entirely
serious in my decision
> to leave:  no bluff at all".
>
> However, over the last few days, I have been totally
overwhelmed with
> messages of support in private phone calls, in private
e mails, and also
> those encouraging List postings. Because of my role in
forwarding original
> source materials from The Gambia as well as my broad
overview of Gambian
> affairs, I have been persuaded to continue to
contribute to the List.

> Whilst my reasons for wishing to leave the List are
now on public
> record, I have, in response to all those people who
have asked me to
> continue, decided to remain as an active contributing
member, and to
> continue to forward postings which will take our
wonderful country into a
> good future, built on secure foundations of democracy.
>
> I recognise that the Gambia-L is a microcosm of
Gambian society, and
> that it reflects the rich diversity of opinion and
political views of
> Gambians at home and abroad. I have been particularly
moved by the
> large number of appeals from fellow Gambians in The
Gambia to continue

________

> Gambia-L:
>
> I publicised my intention to cease contributing to The
Gambia-L on
> Friday 9th June, and I want to set the record straight
on the lengthy
> background to my decision to quit. It was not
something that I decided
> without a lot of heart-searching and discussions with
my friends and
> colleagues.
>
> I am aware that I have been one of the focal points in
opposition to the
> tyranny being perpetrated by the present regime in The
Gambia since 1994,
> both in my role as Editor of The Gambia Daily Observer
until 1996, and
> subsequently in the UK through my regular writings for
The Gambia-L, and
> through my safe transmission of unimpeachable original
source material from
> Gambians still at home.
>
> Whatever my situation vis-a-vis The Gambia-List, I
want to make it
> overwhelmingly clear that my opposition to Jammeh's
tyranny remains as
> strong and as dedicatedly transparent as ever. If I
can play any part in
> seeing the back of this regime through my writings,
then I shall do it, and
> do it to the best of my ability.
>
> I believe that "the pen IS mightier than the sword"
and that the cut and
> thrust of penmanship does greater damage than any AK47
or exploding rocket
> launcher in the long term.
>
> My passionate concern for my country and my fellow
Gambians is without
> question, and I am committed to seeing The Gambia back
on genuine
> democratic
> course as soon as possible. Niebuhr, a German
philosopher writing towards
> the end of the second world war put it like this:
"Man's capacity for
> justice makes democracy possible, but man's
inclination to injustice makes
> democracy necessary". The whole tenet of my work and
opposition to Yaya
> Jammeh's despotic rule is rooted in support of the
democratic principle.

> So why am I choosing to cap my pen at this moment ?
Let me elucidate:

> First, The Gambia-L, especially of late, consumes
hours and hours of my
> time: I am not on the Dole or on Welfare benefits
contrary to what Tombong
> Saidy once insinuated on the list (laugh). Anyway, on
a more serious note,
> actually pay my way here through my work, and the pace
of "List Life" has
> become frenetic of late. I am working every waking
hour, and my energies
> are
> sapped by the workload of List matters.
>
> Secondly, many people will assume that I have my own
computer and modem at
> home: nothing could be further from the truth. My
internet work is done on
> computers at the College where I am employed, and out
of hours in most
> cases.
>
> New Health and Safety requirements as well as Security
changes, mean
> that it is increasingly difficult to get computer time
sufficient for my
> needs. Some friends of the Gambia are trying to find a
computer for me at
> the moment, but until that happens, I have great
problems in getting on
> line
> for enough hours in the week to be effective as a
regular List contributor.

> Thirdly, I receive numerous private mails each month,
which mainly
> derive from my List contributions. Most are
supportive, helpful and
> constructively critical, but there is an increasing
trend for the mails to
> be offensive in the extreme, not just about me
personally but about my
> family and friends in the Diaspora and at home.
>
> My shoulders are strong, and I can bear the whole
range of abuse which
> heads
> my way, but when the abuse starts to impinge on my
private and family life
> then I need to take action for their sakes not mine.
Of course, as a
> journalist I am used to being critical and to
receiving criticism in return
> and that does not make me fearful in any way: but I
also have a deep
> responsibility to those for whom I care.
>
> Fourthly, while I can screen most of the abusive
telephone calls I
> receive on a regular basis, some hit their mark and I
would not be a
> human being if I did not find them unpalatable and
hard to swallow. I
> could start recording the messages and taking slander
actions against
> the callers, but that would only result in yet more
invective from my
> detractors. I have never been afraid of fair
criticism, but increasingly I
> am subjected to abuse of the worst sort.
>
> Fifthly, whilst I recognise the importance of the
Gambia-L, I am now
> being persuaded by friends and colleagues to widen my
audience and to take
> up journalistic challenges again on a bigger scale. In
fact I am currently
> writing a series of articles for national and
international publications,
> and I am confident that the subject of political and
social change in The
> Gambia will reach many more people through these
writing efforts as well.

> If I had 48 hours in the day, I could probably keep
pace with all my plans
> and dreams, but I have to make some hard decisions -
again, with a longer
> term view in mind.  By widening my target audiences, I
can make even
> greater
> impact on the struggle for peace with justice in The
> Gambia. Rest assured, that I am single-minded in my
desire to bring an end
> to Yaya Jammeh's tyranny.
>
> Sixthly, I plan to take up studies for my Doctorate in
the coming
> months, and need to carve out more time for these in
my hectic daily
> schedule.
>
> Seventhly, of course I was highly aware that my
decision to quit the
> list would bring a flood of comment (some supportive,
some less so). I
> thank all those who have asked me to stay on from the
bottom of my
> heart.
>
> To my detractors, I can only say that I am as
emotionally sound as ever
> (!!), that I am not burdened with anxieties and stress
into a
> depressive state (!!), that I am fully compos mentis !
 There was never ANY
> intention on my part to seek approbation from
contributors to the List, and
> I was and am entirely serious in my decision to leave:
no bluff at all.

> I hope that this explanatory message explains my
decision, and to all
> List Managers and members I say thank you from the
bottom of my heart
> for your support over the last two and a half years.
It has been a
> privilege to write for you.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ebrima Ceesay