GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 13:44:38 GMT
Seedy,

Calm down. I don't see the need for this type of invitation/challenge. You
can do a lot better than that. Latjor, as far as I know is not forcing
anyone to follow him. Those who are, are doing so of their own volition. You
are right in talking about the controversy/credibility issue surrounding the
GLC, but the best approach is to keep one's distance. The last time I
checked, most Gambians are doing exactly that. But personal
confrontation/skirmish is the last thing you should think about. Latjor has
the right to call himself whatever he wants. Let him! This is a free country
after all. So drink coffee and move on Seedy. Let Latjor do his thing. As
long as he doesn't try to impose himself on you, I fail to see the need for
any confrontation.

Latjor,

I did read your proposal twice this past weekend. Frankly, I lost you in
several places, but you have qualifiers in the doc that state that some
committee/other is working on the issue. I think the plans are a little too
ambitious, considering that one has to be able to walk, before one can run.
But, that is the least of our problems I guess. I'm most interested in the
Financing, and Inter-organizational relationship aspects of the org. The
Finance issue is deffered, but nothing is said about the hierachy (for lack
of a better word) of the member orgs. I'll be most grateful if you could
elaborate on that issue.

My own thinking is along the lines of a federation, where the "central" (the
Global org) gets a certain percentage of the funds raised by the "branches"
(the individual Gambian orgs around the world) on a CONSISTENT and
PREDICTABLE basis. In graphical terms, the "branches" will all be conduits
for the transfer of funds from individual Gambians to the nucleus (the
Global org.) And of course, the issue of leadership needs to be expounded
upon.

For lack of time, I'll wait for your final draft for more
comments/suggestions.

Saul.