GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 May 2005 15:26:34 -0500
Congratulations!

------------------------------
Ghana reach last four
Ghana's Black Starlets earned a berth in the semi-finals of the U-17
African Championships, after beating hosts Gambia 1-0 in Banjul on Friday.

Opoku Agyeman scored the game's only goal in the 14th minute, finishing
off a cross from George Appiah.

The goal, which was Agyeman's third of the tournament, makes him the top
scorer of the competition and gave the West Africans the top spot in Group
A.

Although Ghana dominated play, the Gambians thought they had levelled
scores in the 30th minute, when Momodu Ceesay netted.

But the strike, which came off their best move of the match, was ruled
offside.

Agyeman could have increased his tally in the 48th minute but his shot was
blocked by the goalkeeper.

Although the defeat was a blow for Gambian pride, the hosts qualified as
the second-placed in the group, after their 3-2 victory over Mali in the
previous game.

"We lost because my boys played below form but I'm happy that we are in
the semis," Gambia Coach Fred Osam Duodu told BBC Sport's Mohamed Fajah
Barrie.

In the other Group A played, Mali beat Burkina Faso 3-1, to win their very
first game of the competition.

Cheick Tijan Diabate opened scoring for Mali in the 11th minute, pouncing
on a loose ball after colliding with team-mate Kone Aboucarr.

He then poked it into the bottom right corner of the net.

El-Hadji Mahamane Traore increased the tally to 2-0 when he hammered home
from close range, with Lassina Diarra getting their final goal in stoppage
time.

Burkina Faso got their consolation goal in the 64th minute through Sibiri
Alain Traore.

The Malians, who had been without a point until Friday's match, have been
eliminated from the competition with the Burkinabes.

Both teams finished third and last in Group A.

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/football/africa/4546143.stm

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい