GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 2000 20:39:05 EDT
Once again Mr. Colly, you have approached the subject with your typical
matured and measured way. We have no doubt about your commitment to our
children and the country at large. Thank you very much for your
contributions. We also thank Mr. Sallah for his efforts. We are especially
encouraged by his efforts to ensure the appointment of a private prosecutor
for the Ebrima Barry matter. We encourage him to also call for the
appointment of an independent prosecutor for the massacres of April 10 and
11. The government had indicated earlier on that although they are willing
to appoint a prosecutor from abroad, they would only cater for his/her local
expenses in The Gambia. We should be prepared to do the rest. This is the
only way we can get to the bottom of this matter. We could have easily sat
down and do nothing but wait for the outcome of the commission's report and
when there is no smoking gun, I would come out and said: "I told you so".
But that would be irresponsible on our part. We would be aiding in the
government's action to cover this thing up. Ask any respectable criminal
lawyer and they will tell you that the case against the culprits is
virtually lost because the integrity of the evidence have been compromised
by the long hiatus between the commission of the crime and the beginning of
any meaningful investigation. What is being revealed at the commission would
take a respectable prosecutor few hours to discover. Better still, the
prosecutor will unearth evidence he/she can use in court. Not testimony that
leads nowhere. I challenge anyone that thinks that this commission is a good
idea to tell me their best case scenario. What do they expect to achieve
from these proceedings? I clearly articulated what was to be expected from
Ousman Jammeh from the onset. We had a plan ready for what to do after he
finished his sittings and fail to hand down indictments. I know what the
commission is going to do. Almost every Gambian knows too. It is baffling
and frustrating when people come here and pretend that this commission is
committed to dispense justice and they should be given benefit of the doubt.
Giving them benefit of the doubt translate to destroying the evidence
against the culprits. Why should we risk that for a report that is going to
come out and blame parents for allowing their children to go out and
demonstrate? A report that is not going to name a single person of substance
as a trigger-man? A report that is not going to say that Yaya ordered his
men while he was in Cuba to open fire on our children? A report that is not
going to ensure that Ousman Badgie is indicted and punished for his crimes
together with Yaya, Njie-Saidy etc. I repeat that the revelations from these
proceedings are virtually worthless to a prosecutor. Take Mr. Sawaneh's
testimony for instance. No court will allow that in to prove that Yaya gave
orders to shoot the children. This is the ugliest form of hearsay. The man
was narrating something someone else (the corporal) told him, that someone
else (the commissioner) said Yaya said. As I understand it, Sawaneh can only
testify about his own conversations with people. And he later said that the
commissioner said he did not give the orders. So you see. Right there, we
were back to square one. Dizzying merry-go-round. A prosecutor would have
spoken to Sawaneh, followed up with the corporal, the corporal's boss, the
commissioner and then Yaya. What is the point in parading these people
before the commission to give unfocused evidence that could have been given
straight to a prosecutor that can use the evidence in court with a sharper
focus? That's the basic question we should ask ourselves. My answer to that
question should be clear to everyone by now. This is just a ploy by the
government to delay and deny justice to the families of the slain victims.
KB